13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    MT1134 wrote: »
    Eating clean has very much to do with your results. Eating at a caloric deficit will help you drop weight but your body will look very different from eating 2,000 calories of sugar everyday versus eating 2,000 calories of a well balanced diet.

"Abs are made in the kitchen."

Yea that's true because even when i wasnt working out and eating very clean i was seeing progress in body composition

Do your research. Look at the results. You can find plenty of people who went from what you look like in your profile picture to adding 20 lbs of muscle and getting completely ripped as well.

How were they able to gain weight, add lbs of muscle, and still drop fat? It wasn't by just eating McDonald's at a caloric deficit. These people eat "clean". Don't be fooled by the monolithic opinion here shown by everyone who hides behind the disagree button.

I think there's more books written on this topic than probably anything else out there. Content of your diet is very important, regardless of all the "disagree(s)" you see here.

Food is not created equally. Meaning different foods are processed and used differently in the body.

Well, in at least one case, it kinda was, with the obvious excellent training program alongside, of course.

Details here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141807961&p=822484731#post822484731

That is one ripped guy**, and a . . . heh . . . very "unclean" diet.

No, it's not me, it's (like I said) a very ripped guy, and I'm just a li'l ol' lady. ;)

** To those who remember Dvdgzz, this is a very long and detailed thread from him on bodybuilding.com about his very interesting dietary experiments.

Sorry im just now replying but i hope you see this. To be honest im surprised he got results because his diet was horrible. Pizza for breakfast? Fast food all the time? No veggies? If i do that i just dont get results. I know this because i have ate similar and worked out just to see very minimal results. People are different tho and he had a good foundation to build off of anyway. Feel free to check out my food log anytime and tell me what you think. I always like to know other people's opinion on my regimen because it gives me more insight. But thanks for the advice. It was intersting to see that forum.

What Magnus said.

Or, from only a slightly different perspective, overall nutrition is important, but food choices may not be as much so as sometimes thought by some people . . . and orthorexia certainly isn't. He eats a massive number of calories (because he burns a massive number of calories), so he's getting base levels of the necessary macros, plus probably as good or better micros as many people with "cleaner" foods would get on their fewer calories (many of those processed-food products are fortified, remember).

If your regimen is working for you to reach your physique goals and other goals, and you're finding it tasty and satisfying and practical, that's what counts.

It's easy to get a little bought-in to our own regimens. Arguing that my methods are essential for all . . . well, looking around, trying to avoid confirmation bias, makes it evident to me that that's not universally true. Food for thought.

These days, in posting to suggest things to other people here, I'm a believer in looking at the core foundation of nutrition first: Right calories, decent macros, decent micros, . . . etc. "Eating clean" (under any definition) may make some of those things easier (or harder), but it isn't as important in and of itself as the calories, macros, micros, etc. , IMO. Plus personal tastes, satiation, practicality, and overall happiness count, too.

For a physique like that, demonically hard (and smart) work enters into it, too.

(As an aside, I don't eat at all like Dvdgzz. I'm 45 years a vegetarian, eating mostly simple one-ingredient or traditional "processed" foods humans have been eating for centuries or millennia (such as yogurt, raw sauekraut, some simple mostly whole-grain baked goods, etc.), most of which I cook myself at home. That's what's tasty, satisfying, and practical are for me. I think his daily diet looks revolting, just on taste alone. But if someone needs a daily McD burger to be happy, I'm going to suggest they have it, fit it in their calories (changing size and sides as needed), and buttress in the rest of good nutrition around it during the rest of their day, rather than tell them to "eat clean".)

BTW, Dvdgzz has been working out for years now, but his physique hasn't always been where it is now. He's got an earlier before/after in this thread, here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43824947#Comment_43824947

:) Best wishes!

@Dvdgzz , if you're still around, I should admit I'm shamelessly misusing you as an example case study. :flowerforyou:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Eating clean has very much to do with your results. Eating at a caloric deficit will help you drop weight but your body will look very different from eating 2,000 calories of sugar everyday versus eating 2,000 calories of a well balanced diet.

Yea that's true because even when i wasnt working out and eating very clean i was seeing progress in body composition

Do your research. Look at the results. You can find plenty of people who went from what you look like in your profile picture to adding 20 lbs of muscle and getting completely ripped as well.

How were they able to gain weight, add lbs of muscle, and still drop fat? It wasn't by just eating McDonald's at a caloric deficit. These people eat "clean". Don't be fooled by the monolithic opinion here shown by everyone who hides behind the disagree button.

I think there's more books written on this topic than probably anything else out there. Content of your diet is very important, regardless of all the "disagree(s)" you see here.

Food is not created equally. Meaning different foods are processed and used differently in the body.

Well, in at least one case, it kinda was, with the obvious excellent training program alongside, of course.

Details here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141807961&p=822484731#post822484731

No, it's not me, it's (like I said) a very ripped guy, and I'm just a li'l ol' lady. ;)

** To those who remember Dvdgzz, this is a very long and detailed thread from him on bodybuilding.com about his very interesting dietary experiments.

Sorry im just now replying but i hope you see this. To be honest im surprised he got results because his diet was horrible. Pizza for breakfast? Fast food all the time? No veggies? If i do that i just dont get results. I know this because i have ate similar and worked out just to see very minimal results. People are different tho and he had a good foundation to build off of anyway. Feel free to check out my food log anytime and tell me what you think. I always like to know other people's opinion on my regimen because it gives me more insight. But thanks for the advice. It was intersting to see that forum.

In the thread itself, he admits the goal of the diet is not for overall health, though given his exercise, and weight loss, he was probably seeing improvements in his health markers.
    I believe that when he had a thread here on MFP, it included him doing about an hour a day of running at a 7.5 or 8 minute per mile pace - I believe it was 7.5 and that he ran 8 miles in that hour.
    At a high flux, fruit and vegetable intake matters less and less - if someone is doing 4,000 or 5,000 calories worth of expenditure a day, they're going to get a lot of their micronutrients from eating almost anything. Exercise also helps suppress appetite. For a less active person, fruit and veggies will create a lot more satiety and cover a lot more nutrition. The point of DVdgzz's logs is that ultimately, when adherence isn't an issue, calories are what matters to weight.

Thats true i was thinking myself that he must have been working out hard but i wonder if he wouldve also ate really healthy if his results would have been better. I agree with you tho and i know that in the end its calories in vs calories out. Maybe its my imagination, but i just feel like eating clean, whether it be a deficit or a surplus, it yields pretty good results. What do you think though?

But how do you define eating clean? If you ask 10 people this question, you'll get 10 different answers. I think to think in terms of an overall nutrient dense diet is a good thing but "clean" puts some kind of false morality to food.

There is nutrient dense food and less nutrient dense food. Dvdgzz was getting plenty of nutrients from his burgers and pizza as well as the other things he was eating. Would I personally eat more fruits and veggies, sure. But I can't really argue with his results. And how much better could they get? Did you see some of those pictures.

Personally, I tend to eat a higher protein, veggies and fruits kind of diet. But I'll mix in some sweets or ice cream for pleasure without jeopardizing my health or my results. I think the whole clean/ dirty diet thing is a false dichotomy.
  • mcraburn123
    mcraburn123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

In the thread itself, he admits the goal of the diet is not for overall health, though given his exercise, and weight loss, he was probably seeing improvements in his health markers.
    I believe that when he had a thread here on MFP, it included him doing about an hour a day of running at a 7.5 or 8 minute per mile pace - I believe it was 7.5 and that he ran 8 miles in that hour.
    At a high flux, fruit and vegetable intake matters less and less - if someone is doing 4,000 or 5,000 calories worth of expenditure a day, they're going to get a lot of their micronutrients from eating almost anything. Exercise also helps suppress appetite. For a less active person, fruit and veggies will create a lot more satiety and cover a lot more nutrition. The point of DVdgzz's logs is that ultimately, when adherence isn't an issue, calories are what matters to weight.

Thats true i was thinking myself that he must have been working out hard but i wonder if he wouldve also ate really healthy if his results would have been better. I agree with you tho and i know that in the end its calories in vs calories out. Maybe its my imagination, but i just feel like eating clean, whether it be a deficit or a surplus, it yields pretty good results. What do you think though?

But how do you define eating clean? If you ask 10 people this question, you'll get 10 different answers. I think to think in terms of an overall nutrient dense diet is a good thing but "clean" puts some kind of false morality to food.

There is nutrient dense food and less nutrient dense food. Dvdgzz was getting plenty of nutrients from his burgers and pizza as well as the other things he was eating. Would I personally eat more fruits and veggies, sure. But I can't really argue with his results. And how much better could they get? Did you see some of those pictures.

Personally, I tend to eat a higher protein, veggies and fruits kind of diet. But I'll mix in some sweets or ice cream for pleasure without jeopardizing my health or my results. I think the whole clean/ dirty diet thing is a false dichotomy.

Right, honestly like you said, fruits, veggies, protein, and complex carbs are pretty much what i would consider clean. But i believe it is true if you are burning as many calories as him it wouldnt matter so much what you ate as long as you get your vitamins. I mean when you burn 5k a day, you gotta find a way to get in more calories because if you only ate 1800-2000 like i eat, you would lose weight insanely too fast and you would definitely sacrifice muscle. Ill admit that he got great results and worked his *kitten* off thata for sure.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Was doing the Stability ball pullover to hit my Lats. After a couple months of doing 25 to 50 of these a day my abs started popping and becoming more defined.

Honestly I did not know why until I saw this video. http://youtube.com/user/jdcav24
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Haven’t read this thread but 2 things needed for a 6 pack:

1. Sufficiently low body fat
    2. Sufficiently developed ab muscles.

It’s hard but not impossible.