Peanut butter v Almond butter

13»

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    chelleedub wrote: »
    One isn't better than the other; it's a matter of taste. But whichever you choose, the only ingredients should be nuts or nuts and salt. That's it.

Why? What happens if it's more than nuts and salt?

(Also, I don't think cookie butter has nuts.)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    IMO the ones I purchase (all nut/seed or pb butters) are organic. Ones that do not contain: sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, fully hydrogenated vegetable oils, mono-and diglycerides, etc.,
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    IMO the ones I purchase (all nut/seed or pb butters) are organic. Ones that do not contain: sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, fully hydrogenated vegetable oils, mono-and diglycerides, etc.,

It's rare that I buy any nut butters anymore (Jif Whips every once in a while because it's more easily spreadable and less calories) so not even sure what's in it. I do love my trader joe's sunflower seed butter tho. 😀
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Okay, I finally got the jar of Everything Butter.

O.M.G.

Most of 15g went in my shake, with spoon licked to get the full effect. Seriously, seriously good! Sesame flavour dominated in the shake, but spoon sample gave hits of everything.

I also noticed they have a new PB flavour - coffee and maple. I'm not convinced enough of this to buy a jar, so will go for a sample next time I'm in the city. They also now do a chocolate hazelnut and a chocolate almond butter.

Sounds delish! Will look for it the next time we travel over to see friends!!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Well peanut is a legume not a nut, some people are allergic, it’s high fat or they are avoiding it bc of carb counts etc, certain diets have you avoid the pb
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    One isn't better than the other; it's a matter of taste. But whichever you choose, the only ingredients should be nuts or nuts and salt. That's it.

Why?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member

Why?

Because emulsifiers and preservatives are gross.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Why?

Because emulsifiers and preservatives are gross.

Not really.

I mean, if someone finds them subjectively gross, I can understand that. But they're not objectively disgusting. I enjoy shelf stability in certain items.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Almond butter here. I like the taste and have the money. Nuts as a snack? All of them, not mixed. Nuts to cook with? All of them.
    Tried almond butter instead of peanut butter in cookies. Nope. Peanut butter cookies.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Cookie butter > sunflower seed butter > peanut butter > almond butter

I was on the phone with my friend the first time she discovered cookie butter. (She's ALL about the cookies) She was debating with herself on whether or not to get it and asked me, "But what do I put it on?" .. My answer? "A spoon!" lol.. she did get it and loved it, of course.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    I personally think its more about variety than it is about which one is better for you.
    Some people, myself included, hate peanut butter. I like it with chocolate, honey, or in baked goods but that's about it. The taste and texture, even with crunchy peanut butter, is just disgusting to me otherwise.

Now, almond butter? I could eat that stuff with a spoon. The texture is a bit different, grittier, and doesn't make me gag like peanut butter.

Sunbutter is good, too. All of the different flavors. Why limit ourselves to just peanut butter?
  • GreenArrow76
    GreenArrow76 Posts: 4 Member
    PB has more Saturated Fat. 16% of AMDR DV. That's on 2 tablespoons. You can see where that would add up quickly if you're not utilizing moderation. Thsts twice amount of AB. But it also has twice amount of polyunsaturated fat, which is good for your cholesterol. So kind of a wash. And most big brands have added sugars, which negates the point of having PB as a good healthy snack. And of course theres cost. Almonds in CA are very water intensive thus have crazy cost. And if you're environmentally conscious then eating almond butter in theory should go against your motto.

All that said, PB in moderation is good. Just know the needle of when moderation turns into excess. It's a slippery slope.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I theorise that almond butter is seen as "better" because it's so much more expensive. Better if you're a snob I guess. I prefer peanut butter myself!