Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Vegan - Physical/Blood Tests

2»

Replies

• jm_1234jm_1234 Posts: 127Member Member Posts: 127Member Member
    Iron wasn't a concern but D and B12 were. I'm not supplementing anything yet and that's what was recommended. Since I've only been PB for a month I'm glad to have caught the low D and B12 early - I'm guessing my prior diet was low in them.

The Dr would like my LDL to be 100 or less but said under 130 was acceptable. My dirty bulk was basically lifting and eating whatever I wanted in a surplus, my weight increased about 25 lbs and BF was ~20%.
    edited February 14
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Posts: 21,443Member Member Posts: 21,443Member Member
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    Iron wasn't a concern but D and B12 were. I'm not supplementing anything yet and that's what was recommended. Since I've only been PB for a month I'm glad to have caught the low D and B12 early - I'm guessing my prior diet was low in them.

The Dr would like my LDL to be 100 or less but said under 130 was acceptable. My dirty bulk was basically lifting and eating whatever I wanted in a surplus, my weight increased about 25 lbs and BF was ~20%.

Yes, typically we have the ability to store enough B12 for several years in our bodies (of course, due to intake we may be storing much less, so we can never assume we have it). Typically when B12 emerges as an issue for new plant-based eaters, it's safe to assume they entered plant-based eating with a lower level anyway, especially since you were still consuming whey powder (which I believe has B12). Anyway, good looking out!

I personally supplement both B12 and D. The B12 is a sublingual spray and is algae-derived D3 in a liquid drop. I got both at Whole Foods (you may have already identified your supplements, but just wanted to throw that out there in case you were still looking).