Exercise for a 55 yo

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    For the time being, if you're new to this, you may need to take those days for active recovery...ie very light intensity exercise like walking, etc. You should also be careful with strenuous exercise...more isn't always better and strenuous exercise requires more recovery time. It is ultimately a good thing to train in a variety of intensities throughout the week. You should ultimately also include at least a couple of days of resistance training.

I personally keep to two days of strenuous exercise...for me, that is spin class. More than that interferes with my recovery and I can't do the other things I want to do or do them as well as fatigue sets in.
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Perhaps consider doing an activity which improves ease of movement and range as these tend to decline with age so maybe try to incorporate a yoga or targeted stretching session into your fitness routine.
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That's subjective. My 57 year old friend did a 1/2 marathon last week in just over 2 hours. I am 51 and doing the same stuff I did when I was 21, but much slower and much more careful. 😀
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    I started running for the first time since I was in my very early 20s when I turned 50. I'm 52 now and have run several 10Ks and a half marathon.

Being in your 50s doesn't mean we can't do new things. :)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I started running for the first time since I was in my very early 20s when I turned 50. I'm 52 now and have run several 10Ks and a half marathon.

Being in your 50s doesn't mean we can't do new things. :)

I'm rapidly approaching my 50s and have never been fitter or stronger than I am now.
    In school I was the girl most likely to get out of PE and least likely to be found running. Now I run 10 miles plus for fun and workout up to 3 hours a day
  • dishiznice
    dishiznice Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    you're doing great! i think walking is a great way to keep your mind at ease and still a great way to get out and get your heart rate up a bit. also a nice change up since you are doing HIIT a few times a week.
  • gretchen2823
    gretchen2823 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think I will be reducing to 2 days of the Orange Theory Like class, adding Yoga and strength 2x week.