40 Somethings

Options
124»

Replies

• austinwb8
    austinwb8 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    In the twilight of my 40s.....getting old sucks. I need to get motivated and make some real lifestyle changes..ASAP!
  • oliviaelm
    oliviaelm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! 41 here! I've been married 19 years and have five children with the youngest in 6th grade and the oldest in college. I've been killing the daily workouts and feel stronger than ever but have been stubborn about changing my eating habits. A recent doctor visit revealed that my BMI is in the overweight category so I'd like to bring that under 24.9 to be in the normal range. I too have struggled with mental health issues and have learned that moving my body helps my mind to process things in a more healthy way. Thank you all for sharing your personal journeys. It's nice to know we aren't alone in this!
  • BexB42
    BexB42 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    About to turn 48, feeling great and still have about 60 pounds or so to lose. Fresh 2nd divorce, kids aged 29 and 20. Anyone needs another support person add me. I am trying to make more effort to be present here, though I do log my workouts on MapMyWalk. I am not single, so anyone trolling for a gf pass me by, and good luck.
  • SweetW1ll
    SweetW1ll Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I turn 41 in December. I decided almost 3 months ago I've had enough and started hitting it hard. I'm down 40lbs in under 3 months. Another 60 to go. Keep at it! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    44 here new to this but this covid year has hit my mind and body hard.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    45 earlier this month. Life started after 40 for me. I hear your struggles and I wish you success. Need a chat or a friend? Add me, message me, any of you. I've lived a lot in 45 years.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    46, strongwoman athlete, trying to lower body fat percentage cos aesthetics...getting stronger and fitter still...from the UK....cycle and strength train mostly, sometimes walk, sometimes run...
  • Scallyboo
    Scallyboo Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 since March. I am married 13 years (together 22 years) with two boys, 11 and 8.
    I have historically always been sporty but my mental health took a turn for the worse and I gained 5 stone. I'm in Ireland so 5 stone is 70lbs. I am only 5ft so its just so so hard to carry it all around. Anyway, I am on the right path and am down 16lbs so far. So Sorry about the loss of your Dad. I'm a Daddys girl. <3
  • 2FitFor40
    2FitFor40 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    40 is just a number!
  • scottedington14
    scottedington14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    42, single mother of my teenage daughter and a volunteer. I put on about 70 lbs with medication I was taking for my mental health. I lost 40 but still want to lose about 80lb TO get a healthy BMI. I have always exercised running yoga walking but I LOVE food. I really think this xalorie counter is the key to getting to my goal because it makes me WAY more mindful of what I'm eating
  • prepregnancypants
    Options
    I turned 40 in march and this has been part of the catalyst to start taking care of myself... again. I have gained and lost so get disappointed in myself but I am back on this journey and just grateful I think.. For me it is about being a good example for my kids and my health at this point. And feeling better about myself! So let's get this, 40 somethings! We have a lot of life left and it will be better when we feel more comfortable.. I started out this journey at 223, am currently 210. First goal is 10% which would be about 200 so of course need to get under that... and making sure this will be something that becomes part of me, that sticks!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I'm 48. At the beginning of this year, having spent a year mourning the death of a 25 year marriage, I decided to lose weight. I started at 296, and as of this morning weigh 246, so that's 50 pounds off. I'm continuing to make good changes (I just ordered an exercise bike) and view this as a long-term project, which is easier now that I'm used to eating differently.

I have a ton of support in this from my two partners, and Boyfriend is working on his own mental health issues so he can lose the weight he put on stress/comfort eating when he had his mental health exacerbation. Girlfriend is also working to get her medication stabilized so she can start working on losing weight. They're very supportive and encouraging and I want to be the best I can be so that I can take care of them for the rest of our lives.

I have some food intolerances and allergies, and I have to eat around that, and I have arthritis in my feet which makes pandemic exercise a bit of a challenge, but I know at this point it is doable, I've done so much already, and I will keep doing it until my body looks the way I want it to look.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I'm 41. Lost roughly 80 pounds so far and have 30ish to go. I can tell you truthfully that since losing the weight, which I've done in less than a year's time, has made me feel better than I did in my mid-twenties. I'm not quite as flexible and still creak a bit in odd places but in general I feel great, and it's even better to feel young with my head screwed on straighter than I was in my twenties and early thirties. MFP has been such an inspiration with seeing all you wonderful folks win, have setbacks, get back on track and win again! Seeing how people in literally all situations can lose weight has pretty much destroyed all my excuses.

In case you want to friend me, I do some weight lifting (not enough yet, to be honest) and primarily lose weight through smaller portions, cutting calories, eating more whole foods including lean meats, and moving more than I otherwise would have. I try to be a supportive MFP friend to those who need it.
  • alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    40 year olds unite! :)

Feel free to add me as friend.

Why I want to get in shape
    I am 40 years old and have been taking a long look at my life. I have realized that I felt tired and was being limited in activities I could do because of my weight. I LOVE traveling with my kiddo and those seats were feeling pretty squishy. And I really enjoy going to the amusement park and had to start checking to make sure it could handle my weight.

Starting weight (Feb 2020) 272 lbs
    First Goal Weight (Nov 2020) 212 lbs
    Final Goal Weight 172 lbs
    Dream Goal Weight 136 lbs
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    as a 48 year old I may not be allowed in this club, but that's ok, since I am almost at the end of the spectrum I just want to wish you well and tell you go hard while you can, meaning exercise as much as possible because the day will come when you can't, I speak from experience, up until 45 years of age I felt like I was 25, I used to be a runner and then one day both of my knees just gave out, I was able to run 5 miles 5 or 6 days a week and then I could not even walk a mile just like that, it's been three years and I made many adjustments and am doing fine but still can't run, so please exercise your toosh off now, trust me!!!
  • placentaism
    placentaism Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    41 one, French girl, but I somehow like to count in pounds (or stones & pounds).

Eh, the first lockdown already found me not in the best moment of weight, but I left it in June with 176 pounds. The thing is that at 40, this sexy baby fat does not look sexy anymore tbh. So this is the moment to do something.
    (Feel free to add me, I guess I need to have some people around to control me :)

Starting weight (June 2020) 176 lbs
    Current Weight (Nov 2020) 163 lbs
    Final Goal Weight 150 lbs (let's say: well below 11 stones)
    Dream Goal Weight 135 lbs
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!