February 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited February 2020
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all.

Well no call outs last night. So got up at 7, went and did 2.6k before Parkrun, got to the start line with 1 min to spare, did the 5k Parkrun, then another 400m to round off 8k.

Thene we are having an event in town today where all these American car enthusiasts come to town, participate in a parade and park up and show off their machines. Some beautiful old cars, and some pretty spectacular new ones. Apparently there are over 500 cars in town!

So naturally we took the kids to an American diner for brunch. Cause why not. It was awesome! Most amazing waffles I've ever had - not that I've had waffles that often haha. So soaked up a bit of American culture. Now I'm relaxing watching Doctor who while the hubby takes the kids around to his parents for a bit.

I am curious what you think an American diner is? I have talked to people from India (I work in IT so we see a lot of them) who come to America. They all tell me that what they thought American food was is nothing like reality they found why they got here.

Also, they all gained a lot of weight, at least at first.

Those points might be related. :)

Haha OK how many "movie culture America" can I hit?

The diner is fitted out like a diner from back to the future. Red stools, booths, lots of formica tables. There is pop culture references everywhere, from Betty boop playing on the TV, to elvis on the jukebox, yes there is a jukebox. There were American flags everywhere. They advertised a bottomless cup of filter coffee (not really a kiwi thing at all).

Their desserts were sweet pies, so key lime, pumpkin, pecan for example.

The food itself I would say was more amerikiwi. So they had burgers, but full of salads and extra stuff - from what I've heard from my vegetarian American friend, burgers are usually bun and patty. Our burgers have a whole heap of other fillings. My mum had a fish burger for example.

Actually ill just paste the menu, you can see its "American" with a kiwi twist.

For the record, I had waffles (two) with bacon and banana. And it was 3 pieces of bacon only - which I shared with my kids - one small banana and a dish of say 30ml of maple syrup on the side. So from what I hear, about half the size of an American meal.
    e371r76u2jtb.jpg

c64hps7973th.jpg

This is more like what an American Burger looks like:
    uyo1p5wap1d0.png

I just had one on Wednesday. Around 1000 calories for just the burger and it would come with sides and drinks of course. :D There is a reason beyond just price we eat at home mostly.

It is not "bun and patty" - I mean I guess you cand find cheap places that serve that. Lettuce/tomato/pickles is the default base and really anything goes after that.

Your dinner looks very deliberately 1950s era in decore. I need to ask my baby sister who was just over there how the food compares. She probably hit all the classic local style food places though. I suspect y'all's version of American food is way healthier than we actually eat.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Be honest. I have thick skin. You can be outright mean. I can take it. Anyway, would it be stupid of me to register for a trail run Marathon or should I just throw caution to the wind and try? There are so many here...
    It completely depends on the trail! There are some around here which are easier than roads and some which are much harder. I love trails though, they are much more fun.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    So rain is expected tomorrow. The weather was changing today and I didn't run. Why? BECAUSE MY LEG *kitten* HURTS.

FFS I don't want it to be this painful every time it's supposed to rain. I don't recall it doing it this bad last time. WHINE WHINE WHINE
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited February 2020
    Morning all.

Well no call outs last night. So got up at 7, went and did 2.6k before Parkrun, got to the start line with 1 min to spare, did the 5k Parkrun, then another 400m to round off 8k.

Thene we are having an event in town today where all these American car enthusiasts come to town, participate in a parade and park up and show off their machines. Some beautiful old cars, and some pretty spectacular new ones. Apparently there are over 500 cars in town!

So naturally we took the kids to an American diner for brunch. Cause why not. It was awesome! Most amazing waffles I've ever had - not that I've had waffles that often haha. So soaked up a bit of American culture. Now I'm relaxing watching Doctor who while the hubby takes the kids around to his parents for a bit.

I am curious what you think an American diner is? I have talked to people from India (I work in IT so we see a lot of them) who come to America. They all tell me that what they thought American food was is nothing like reality they found why they got here.

Also, they all gained a lot of weight, at least at first.

Those points might be related. :)

Haha OK how many "movie culture America" can I hit?

The diner is fitted out like a diner from back to the future. Red stools, booths, lots of formica tables. There is pop culture references everywhere, from Betty boop playing on the TV, to elvis on the jukebox, yes there is a jukebox. There were American flags everywhere. They advertised a bottomless cup of filter coffee (not really a kiwi thing at all).

Their desserts were sweet pies, so key lime, pumpkin, pecan for example.

The food itself I would say was more amerikiwi. So they had burgers, but full of salads and extra stuff - from what I've heard from my vegetarian American friend, burgers are usually bun and patty. Our burgers have a whole heap of other fillings. My mum had a fish burger for example.

Actually ill just paste the menu, you can see its "American" with a kiwi twist.

For the record, I had waffles (two) with bacon and banana. And it was 3 pieces of bacon only - which I shared with my kids - one small banana and a dish of say 30ml of maple syrup on the side. So from what I hear, about half the size of an American meal.
    e371r76u2jtb.jpg

c64hps7973th.jpg

That is definitely a 1950's themed American diner setup... I'm not that old, but I've seen photos and movies, lol.

What is this aioli that is on everything? Also, what is the difference between bacon and "steaky bacon?" Steak here is a whole cut of meat (i.e. not ground) and if it doesn't specify the type of meat, it is beef from cows. Bacon, on the other hand, is typically slices cut from pork / hog bellies and processed / cured to become bacon. However, there are certain types of bacon that come from other parts of the hog or even from other animals, but then it isn't just "bacon." It's specifically called "hog jowl bacon" or "turkey bacon" if it comes from a different part of the animal or from a different species.

ETA: As a carnivore, I know my meats. :smiley:

It's streaky Bacon. My understanding is that's normal bacon in the USA. Goes really crispy when you cook it. There are other cuts here such as shoulder, middle and medallion etc. Most kiwis are familiar with more than one type. What you refer to as Canadian Bacon, we call ham steaks - beautiful with pineapple!

Aioli is a garlic mayonnaise, and absolutely delicious! - yep disagree here lol. I think its Belgium? Goes great with French fries

ETA or what @ContraryMaryMary said lol yeah was going for a walk! All the talk on American food...
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    bearly63 wrote: »
    @LoveyChar
    Great pics..... you look so happy! Your husband has his big old TX belt buckle! He can earn one next year.

As for sleeves, just cut some off of your long sleeve shirt- problem solved!

Actually I try to run in long sleeves on hot sunny days if I don’t want to deal with sunscreen - my dermatologist runs at Town Lake in long sleeves and pants and regularly gives me crap if I have tan lines.
    This^^^ I am also running in long sleeves year round now. Sunscreen gets EXPENSIVE and didn't seem to do a great job protecting my very fair skin. I got tired of the lecture I got from my dermatologist every time I saw him as well. He even gave me a catalog of approved 'fitness' clothes. I don't think I could run in any of them but I bought cheap long sleeve technical t-shirts on Amazon in various colors and I wear my long sleeve race shirts. I only need sun screen/block for my face and hands now
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited February 2020
    @PastorVincent yeah, NO on that hot chocolate!
    Long post warning... short story is I'm crazy.
    I just love when your posts start out like that!
    @quilteryoyo I put off my dermatologist visit until my summer tan faded, because I didn't want to get yelled at about it! And yours complimented you :)
    I thought it was a little odd for a dermatologist to say. Maybe he could tell that I don't allow myself to get burned very often or something. Or, maybe he's just not a very good dermatologist. :wink:
    I've heard some conflicting things over recent years regarding risk and sunscreens and the importanceof Vitamin D... Maybe he's a really good dermatologist.

@Camaramandy648 I'm sorry you're going through this, but it sounds like you've made a wise decision. I'm sure it's still tough, though, and hope your heart can heal quickly.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @LoveyChar
    Great pics..... you look so happy! Your husband has his big old TX belt buckle! He can earn one next year.

Actually I try to run in long sleeves on hot sunny days if I don’t want to deal with sunscreen - my dermatologist runs at Town Lake in long sleeves and pants and regularly gives me crap if I have tan lines.
    This^^^ I am also running in long sleeves year round now. Sunscreen gets EXPENSIVE and didn't seem to do a great job protecting my very fair skin. I got tired of the lecture I got from my dermatologist every time I saw him as well. He even gave me a catalog of approved 'fitness' clothes. I don't think I could run in any of them but I bought cheap long sleeve technical t-shirts on Amazon in various colors and I wear my long sleeve race shirts. I only need sun screen/block for my face and hands now

My two cents on the dermatologist/tan topic... I have severe psoriasis, so guess this is pretty specific to my condition, and I understand that all the avoiding the sun stuff is due to cancer risks. BUT, ever since I was diagnosed my dermatologists have all ordered me to expose as much of my skin as possible to sunlight for 20 minutes per day. With sunscreen, of course, but 'get in that sun' is basic thing. The orders were to acquire and maintain a light suntan all year round.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Aioli is the newest food trend. Restaurants seem to put it on everything and come up with new flavors.

My gastro doc told me to get actual sun because my vitamin d was so low. Dermaologist told me to just wear sunscreen. When it gets hot I can't run in sleeves or a hat. I get overheated.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    It's raining here and we have flash flood warnings so I think I will be skipping my trail run today. A lot of the trails go through washes which is not a good idea when flash flood warnings are issued. Doggo isn't a big fan of rain so I may take her for a short run/walk in the neighborhood or we may just take a rest day. Undecided.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    I would die of heatstroke if I just looked at sleeves in the summer here. :open_mouth:
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    I turn into a lobster in about 10 minutes in the sun here, so I do all my running before 10am atm. I done like sunscreen with sweat, just gross. So I get my running done before the sun is too high in the sky.

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    I use sunscreen on my nose and ears most of the time, but not really any other parts of my body unless I am going to be out in the sun for an extended period of time. When I was in the Air Force, I went snow skiing for the first time and got sun poisoning on my nose - turned black, swelled, split open, oozed. It was really gross. Apparently, it isn't a good idea to wear those silver reflective sunglasses when skiing on a sunny day. It just reflected all of the sun onto my nose. Anyway, ever since then, my nose gets burned really easily. I try to take care of it.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    @PastorVincent Thanks for the reply and vote of confidence! I'm toying with the idea. I do have trail running shoes still in the box.

@Camaramandy648 Like a kid again, sign me up! You don't sound upset and I hope for you a new and better start. You're a beautiful person.

@MNLittleFinn I am itching to do something again, I really am. Running another one four weeks after your first is definitely crazy! But I can understand why... it's fun.

@rheddmobile You will be my go to when I have questions, if any arise. Thank you!

I haven't registered for anything yet, besides next year's Austin Marathon.

I know what I think of when I think of a diner. At least I know what I love. That would be a greasy spoon hole in the wall with fresh coffee. That's my perfect diner.

• bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    @PastorVincent Your hot chocolate story made the image of Elf buying is date the "World Best Cup of Coffee" pop in my head lol!
  • bearly63
    shanaber wrote: »
    @LoveyChar

Haha....she gave me some clothing tips too....one of those ridiculous hats that is long in the back. The longsleeve shirts I got from Amazon are UPF rated....but it is so hot here in the summer I really struggle. I generally run early am in the summer and at the trail so its pretty shaded but the sunscreen just drips off. I try to buy really safe good sunscreen. I grew up in SoCal when baby oil was cool so I have damage from "back in the day".
  • bearly63
    @Camaramandy648
    Being able to listen to your gut is such an important step. You and your babies deserve better. Hugs to you! <3
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    @Camaramandy648 - good for you doing what is best for you and your family! You deserve better!
    @RunsOnEspresso - We are getting your rain first... It poured here last night and this morning it is thundering. I am hoping that will pass and I can get out, even if it is raining. I won't go in the thunder though. It is supposed to be back into the heat next week - over 80F midweek and windy again. Running today or tomorrow or both seems like a good idea before it gets so hot.

I grew up mostly in Idaho and my olive complected mom tanned super dark (she used mineral oil). My dad however was a classic, blue eyed, red haired irishman who had to wear wool shirts and a hat when he worked in the field as a geologist. He also developed skin cancer on his head, face and hands. Of course I take after him and not my mom at all. When we came to CA one of the first things I did in college was to go to the beach with my friends. It was cool and cloudy with marine layer, but I got fried and later was basically swollen all over. I couldn't walk because my ankles and legs hurt so bad and I couldn't see because my eyes were swollen shut. Even in Idaho I had a bad burn as a kid trying to mimic my mom and I still have scars on my back from those.
    The dermatologist has told me to always wear sunscreen, always, everyday. So I have been wearing sunscreen when I run, sport typically, but I hate it too and like I said it gets so expensive. I haven't been burned in years now but I just develop more and more freckles (if they grow together does it make me tanned 😁) and then the dermatologist gets on me about being out in the sun too much. Yes I too, typically run in the morning before the sun is too high, especially in the summer when it is so hot, but it doesn't seem to make too much difference with my skin. So last spring I decided to start trying to wear my long sleeved shirts all the time. It was miserable and yes I did feel like I was going to melt and I get incredibly sweaty but I stuck with it all summer long. There were times when I seriously just wanted to rip off my shirt and just run in my bra! Lol no one wants to see my super white self, I would probably blind someone!