I went vegan and GAINED weight?!?!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited October 2020
    litoria wrote: »
    Yeah, me too. I went vegan several years ago for the ethical issues. I reached my heaviest whilst vegan....I think it's because it's easier to eat a LOT when it's all plant based due to lower satiety. I have recently started eating fish on some days and I really notice the different in how much I feel I need to eat on these days.

What % is your protein goal and how well do you hit it?

I'm an omnivore who spent three years at vegetarian or mostly plant based yoga centers and if I wasn't careful to get lots of higher protein foods like legumes, seitan, or tempeh I would certainly feel like something was missing and want meat.

Also, I could eat a ton of foods like pasta or bread and olive oil and not feel satisfied, but I do find foods like rice & beans, veggies, and fruit quite filling.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    karenscfld wrote: »
    Vegan eating is mostly cabs. I would be HUGE if I went vegan. I would think a very strict calorie intake and high energy output is the only way to lose weight no matter what sort of diet you choose. The only problem with vegan, you body has lots of energy source via the food you eat so it doesn't need to go after the fat reserves.

I think you misunderstand Veganism. There’s more to it than just no animal products, especially if you need to lose weight.
    An important factor in vegan weight loss is calorie density. A cup of beans and a cup of tomatoes will have very different calorie totals. So in order to get 100 calories of tomatoes, you get to eat a LOT more, which leads to SATIETY. Not feeling like you’re starving is a huge helper in keeping going with a caloric deficit.

Check out these resources:
    Forks Over Knives
    The China Study
    Chef AJ
    Dr. MacDougal

That being said- I am still struggling. I am in the caloric deficit recommended by every weight loss calorie calculator I could find, and yet the weight is not coming off. So the oft touted “calorie deficit for weight loss” is not my experience.

Advice from Vegans (especially WFPB ones) would be gratefully accepted.

@aubreeshelley,

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • hailey7310
    hailey7310 Posts: 10 Member
    People think they’re going to lose weight just by being vegan. Oreos are vegan. You can gain weight with any kind of food if you eat too much!
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    I'm sorry to hear that you have gained weight. I've been vegetarian for almost two years now and much as it pains me to admit it, I have found nothing as satiating as low-fat animal protein. That being said, I'm never going back to eating meat or seafood so I've turned to protein powder and protein bars for help. I've been dieting on and off for twenty years and the number one thing that helps me in terms of weight loss though: is to make the effort to weigh, measure and track every single calorie I consume. Otherwise it's just too easy to underestimate calories and then I lose no weight or I gain weight! No thanks! IMO, tracking accurately is definitely worth making the effort to do
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    senalay788 wrote: »
    chrisinfla wrote: »
    I’m trying to figure out what has caused this. Let me be honest. Although I went vegan Jan 1st, I still consumed more calories than I should have. Yes I was eating nuts, rice, some pasta, legumes but also loads of veggies. I even tried IF while vegan and it seems to not want to budge. I’ve been steady all month! I do drink red wine at least a glass two to three times a week. I might just stop that. I do feel like I have more energy but was expecting a little more from cutting meat (red) and dairy. I ate eggs this am because I was so hungry. I would like to stay vegan but not if I keep going up on the scale! Inputs and thoughts appreciated. I just turned 50 so maybe my metabolism is slowing down.

Well obviously you should have gone keto not vegan. Try low fat, high carb keto next. That should work.

😆 Um . . . *what*??!?! 😆

I read it as sarcasm, which I'm hoping it is.

Ayup, me, too. 😉
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    Im serious. Did anyone try? Sure way to lose weight. Think about it ;)

😂
  • vbriz25
    vbriz25 Posts: 20 Member
    The key word is CALORIES. Take care your MACROS
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    You have to watch it now there are many vegan treats! I’d avoid these and lots of breads if you consume a lot of those. Focus on your natural foods fruit and veg and less on prepackaged dinners etc. make your own stuff. I made vegan Parmesan and mayo. Watch to not eat too much fruit and nuts as high is sugar/fats so easy to over eat them. Ok look into berries less sugar. Look at portions too. And possibly carbs of veggies you eat bc you maybe eating a ton of carbs without realizing. I just must watch the calories. I think maybe whatever you consume may just be over your calories to lose. I ate vegan meals for a few months but I couldn’t sustain that level of limitation although it was pretty yummy!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I would like to be vegan for ethical reasons but I find it a lot harder to stick below my calorie goals and feel satisfied when I am eating 100% vegan. Often I get SO hungry even when getting ~70g protein per day, and eating carbs all day every day can get old. I feel much more satisfied when adding small amounts of animal products throughout the week. At the end of the day, for me, I have to listen to my body and accept the fact that this way is much more sustainable. Eating 90% plant based allows me to reach my goals while still greatly reducing the quantity of animal products I consume.

I like this approach, they say we don’t need as much protein as we think. Unless you are a body builder or very active. But I found I much prefer plant based eating plus a side of meat every few meals my stomach likes better! Easier on digestion and they did some studies finding people who tended to eat a Mediterranean style with mostly vegetarian and meat once or twice a week (fish, lamb, etc) had better success with weight loss. ( this was many years ago now I read it but it always stuck in my mind)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited November 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Vegan eating is mostly cabs.

Assuming you mean carbs, and are not thinking vegan is all wine ;-), that's not necessarily true. You can do a variety of macros eating vegan.
    I would be HUGE if I went vegan.

No one is saying you should, but no, not if you ate at a deficit (or maintenance) -- calories are what control weight gain or loss, not carbs, and not whether one eats vegan or not. You are making the same mistake (in the reverse) as OP seems to have initially.
    The only problem with vegan, you body has lots of energy source via the food you eat so it doesn't need to go after the fat reserves.

The energy source from the food is the cals, so vegan or no makes no difference. It's illogical to claim one can somehow run only on the foods eaten (and not body fat) at a deficit just because one is eating vegan. Again, the same basic mistake in the reverse as someone who thinks you cannot gain eating vegan.

Most wine isnt vegan though so i dont think people would think going vegan is all wine haha. Both eggs and fish are used in the processing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Assuming you mean carbs, and are not thinking vegan is all wine ;-), that's not necessarily true. You can do a variety of macros eating vegan.

No one is saying you should, but no, not if you ate at a deficit (or maintenance) -- calories are what control weight gain or loss, not carbs, and not whether one eats vegan or not. You are making the same mistake (in the reverse) as OP seems to have initially.
    The only problem with vegan, you body has lots of energy source via the food you eat so it doesn't need to go after the fat reserves.

The energy source from the food is the cals, so vegan or no makes no difference. It's illogical to claim one can somehow run only on the foods eaten (and not body fat) at a deficit just because one is eating vegan. Again, the same basic mistake in the reverse as someone who thinks you cannot gain eating vegan.

Wine isnt vegan though so i dont think people would think going vegan is all wine haha. Both eggs and fish are used in the processing.

Some wines are vegan. Eggs and/or fish aren't essential to the processing, they're just used by some wines.

Barnivore is a website that specializes in helping vegans find alcohol, including wines. And there are even vegan wine clubs now that will send wine directly to you.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Wine isnt vegan though so i dont think people would think going vegan is all wine haha. Both eggs and fish are used in the processing.

Some wines are vegan. Eggs and/or fish aren't essential to the processing, they're just used by some wines.

Barnivore is a website that specializes in helping vegans find alcohol, including wines. And there are even vegan wine clubs now that will send wine directly to you.

Yeah i changed it after to say most. But definitely takes care in knowing how its made since it wont be on the label!
  • Vegan is a lifestyle, not a diet. It doesn't have anything to do with dieting or health. Veganism is too not partaking of anything in any form that has come from animals or been negatively effected with it to the best of your ability. Food, clothing, make up, household products, etc. What you're eating is called a 'junk food vegan diet.'

Plant based is the health and dietary aspect of it. Eating a plant based lifestyle is eating nutrient dense variety of food for health and weight loss. I eat a whole food plant based vegan lifestyle. I typically lose two to three pounds a week.
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    It doesn't surprise me, 2 of the largest people i know are long term vegan. Plant based doesnt mean you'll naturally eat less calories, in fact a lot of vegans eschew vegetables in favour of bulky carbs. One vegan friend practically lives on bread and pasta and another of my vegan friends is a baker, he makes the most incredible vegan cakes but the portions are massive. Calories are calories and people cutting out a food source such as meat or fish replace it with bulk from another source. That source will not necessarily be healthier or lower in calories.

Good luck on your journey