New to this...a question

2»

Replies

• withinthemargin
    withinthemargin Posts: 14 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    It generally isn't particularly relevant because most of those chemicals are known and limited in food supply, and even if they aren't, as long as someone isn't eating the same thing every day, it probably doesn't have much of an effect as you point out in saying that it's not really a daily test. But to say that nutrition has nothing to do with what you don't eat is not correct.

Yes, it's not really relevant, especially since we are talking general advice, not the details for people interested in the weeds. (For example, Vit C with sources of iron is helpful, calcium with those sources can reduce absorption. It's still would not be true that someone should avoid calcium, obviously, and most don't have to worry about this level of detail in terms of pairings, especially when they are first focusing on eating healthfully.)

My point is way too often I see people whose approach to nutrition is "I'm not eating white carbs" and then if you look at the diary it's got almost no veg or fruit or some such.

If you want to plan a sensible diet, it makes sense to focus on what foods you want to include within it, not cutting out whatever.

Saying a healthy diet can never include a specific food item (especially now that artificial transfats are no longer permitted) without regard to what the diet already includes and included over the course of the week and dosage and so on is almost always based on a lack of understanding of nutrition, unless it's a specific person talking about avoiding something personally due to allergy or the like.

Right, but you were using that as a litmus test to determine whether someone knows something about nutrition, and that's why I was disagreeing. I wasn't disagreeing with telling the OP to pay more attention to what they do eat rather than what they don't/can't.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    It generally isn't particularly relevant because most of those chemicals are known and limited in food supply, and even if they aren't, as long as someone isn't eating the same thing every day, it probably doesn't have much of an effect as you point out in saying that it's not really a daily test. But to say that nutrition has nothing to do with what you don't eat is not correct.

Yes, it's not really relevant, especially since we are talking general advice, not the details for people interested in the weeds. (For example, Vit C with sources of iron is helpful, calcium with those sources can reduce absorption. It's still would not be true that someone should avoid calcium, obviously, and most don't have to worry about this level of detail in terms of pairings, especially when they are first focusing on eating healthfully.)

My point is way too often I see people whose approach to nutrition is "I'm not eating white carbs" and then if you look at the diary it's got almost no veg or fruit or some such.

If you want to plan a sensible diet, it makes sense to focus on what foods you want to include within it, not cutting out whatever.

Saying a healthy diet can never include a specific food item (especially now that artificial transfats are no longer permitted) without regard to what the diet already includes and included over the course of the week and dosage and so on is almost always based on a lack of understanding of nutrition, unless it's a specific person talking about avoiding something personally due to allergy or the like.

Right, but you were using that as a litmus test to determine whether someone knows something about nutrition, and that's why I was disagreeing. I wasn't disagreeing with telling the OP to pay more attention to what they do eat rather than what they don't/can't.

I think you are reading way too much into what I said or just trying to find something to disagree with, as I really don't see any meaningful disagreement here.

Yes, as I said before, if someone claims that nutrition is all about not eating specific foods vs. what you actually do include in your diet, I see that as evidence that person doesn't know much about nutrition. You haven't said anything that would contradict this, btw.