Weight staying the same.

2»

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited February 2020
    This is my motto...."When I quit making excuses, I found my results" this is NOT said to bash you or anything , but you did ask for advice on why your weight is staying the same and then refuse to even try our suggestions for even temporary to see if it works. Weighing food is a great tool and works, and no different than taking the time to brush and floss your teeth.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    edited February 2020
    Your body is chemistry set. Chemistry is a science. Science is exact. If you want to go on feelings or estimation, then you can't reasonably expect a reliable outcome. Also, plenty of working moms find the time to measure so that is not an excuse. You are choosing not to, which is fine, but again you can't expect reliable results based on your actions. You absolutely can lose weight without measuring anything, but you are introducing more chaos into something that already isn't linear. Good luck.
  • lmcneely6
    lmcneely6 Posts: 7 Member
    This is my motto...."When I quit making excuses, I found my results" this is NOT said to bash you or anything , but you did ask for advice on why your weight is staying the same and then refuse to even try our suggestions for even temporary to see if it works. Weighing food is a great tool and works, and no different than taking the time to brush and floss your teeth.

I don’t think you’re bashing me, lol, and, I agree, I did ask for advice. If I were to buy a scale, how do I know how much my food is supposed to weigh?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2020
    food isn't supposed to weigh anything, it's so you can log it accurately and eat the appropriate amount of calories overall. A food scale isn't that expensive. I understand not wanting to weigh and measure everything you eat but it can be a nice tool in order to *at least* figure out what your problem areas are. For instance you might weigh something and realize the portion is much smaller than what you were guesstimating before. You could have been logging something at 200 calories but in reality it was actually 250. That multiplied by several different food items in a day makes a big difference.

That, and you've only been at it for four weeks. Maybe your body is retaining water because you just started a new workout regimen?
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    lmcneely6 wrote: »

I don’t think you’re bashing me, lol, and, I agree, I did ask for advice. If I were to buy a scale, how do I know how much my food is supposed to weigh?

Nutrition facts on the label (use the grams or oz, usually in parenthesis). Then you add up all the ingredients' calories. Done and done. Some people find it easier to work backwords like: "I have 2000 cals for the day, I want 2 eggs so how much is that? 180cals (random number based on variety of egg sizes, use what the label says). So 2000-180= 1820 left for the day. Now I want a snack...ooo, planters peanuts! yum! Grab a handful....oh damn nuts are pretty caloricly dense according to this bag, let me weigh out the serving size the label says (1oz=28g=170cals) So 1820-170=1650 for the rest of the day now. " I prefer to plan out my week ahead of time, but you may want to just do 1 day, or 1 meal at a time.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited February 2020
    I log all of my food, and I use the palm of my hand to measure. Honestly, I don’t have time to weigh and measure every piece of food I eat. I have four kids and run my own daycare. Finding time is tough. I’ve watched my sister weigh and measure everything and I’ve watched her struggle and just not enjoy eating. I don’t feel like I need to weigh and measure everything in order to properly lose weight.
    I have 4 children as well, we homeschool so not quite the daycare situation (I worked in daycare before, I understand the potential for chaos). Looking at your profile pic it looks like they are older at least, so that’s helpful. We have gotten into a routine for meals where I go first so I can weigh out mine so I don’t hold up the whole family. My husband and children have a general idea how I do it so there have been sweet moments like when my 10 year old made me breakfast in bed, complete with a notecard of all the food weights so I can later log them... or the weekend when I hit 20 lbs and they made me a special dessert, paired with an approximate calorie total.

If you are super busy, you can preplan foods. Even prepackaged can be off, so be mindful of that. I do soups or salads a lot for lunch.

Is it as easy as piling food on a plate without thought? No, but it’s not a major deal to tare out the scale between items. I know it’s what I need to do to get where I want to go. Things like peanut butter can be done in negative weights - put the jar on the scale, tare it out, take a scoop and see what the negative grams say for your serving size.

• lmcneely6
    lmcneely6 Posts: 7 Member
    I log all of my food, and I use the palm of my hand to measure. Honestly, I don’t have time to weigh and measure every piece of food I eat. I have four kids and run my own daycare. Finding time is tough. I’ve watched my sister weigh and measure everything and I’ve watched her struggle and just not enjoy eating. I don’t feel like I need to weigh and measure everything in order to properly lose weight.
    I have 4 children as well, we homeschool so not quite the daycare situation (I worked in daycare before, I understand the potential for chaos). Looking at your profile pic it looks like they are older at least, so that’s helpful. We have gotten into a routine for meals where I go first so I can weigh out mine so I don’t hold up the whole family. My husband and children have a general idea how I do it so there have been sweet moments like when my 10 year old made me breakfast in bed, complete with a notecard of all the food weights so I can later log them... or the weekend when I hit 20 lbs and they made me a special dessert, paired with an approximate calorie total.

If you are super busy, you can preplan foods. Even prepackaged can be off, so be mindful of that. I do soups or salads a lot for lunch.

Is it as easy as piling food on a plate without thought? No, but it’s not a major deal to tare out the scale between items. I know it’s what I need to do to get where I want to go. Things like peanut butter can be done in negative weights - put the jar on the scale, tare it out, take a scoop and see what the negative grams say for your serving size.

I love this!!! It actually made me feel better about doing this. Thank you!!!
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    I assume you're in the habit of batch cooking meals that you do over and over? At the start it's more of a faff yes, but when you've saved the recipe or meal you can just repeatedly add it in. Most of my family meals I've done before by now, or a make a big batch of things for lunch in one go and copy and paste in day after day. Then you don't have to think about it again. As long as you know what's likely to be a game changer if you misestimate (peanut butter, oil, butter and generally calorie dense things) then it won't matter as much if you go by instinct afterwards when your repeating recipes. A cup of spinach won't put you over if you misjudge it, guessing you're pouring a tablespoon of oil and ending up with two or three can wipe out your deficit family quickly.