Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How come when you scan a barcode it doesn't always contain sodium?

weight3049weight3049 Posts: 39Member Member Posts: 39Member Member
A lot of times when I scan a barcode I notice the entry does not include sodium, says 0mg for food that obviously has sodium in it.

Does this happen to everyone? Luckily I use the desktop version of MFP so I can easily notice this, on the app it would not be so noticeable.

Replies

• COGypsyCOGypsy Posts: 555Member Member Posts: 555Member Member
    Entries are nearly all user-entered. If the person who made the entry didn't include the sodium, then it won't show up. The trick is vetting your entries to make sure you're choosing accurate ones.

The barcode scanner is just another way of searching the existing database, it doesn't pull anything from outside sources, so whether you type or scan, you're searching from the same place.
  • ceiswynceiswyn Posts: 2,207Member Member Posts: 2,207Member Member
    weight3049 wrote: »
    A lot of times when I scan a barcode I notice the entry does not include sodium, says 0mg for food that obviously has sodium in it.

Does this happen to everyone? Luckily I use the desktop version of MFP so I can easily notice this, on the app it would not be so noticeable.

The barcode does not contain any nutritional information. It just identifies the product. So all that scanning does is get a product name, and searches the MFP database for it. It's exactly the same as typing in the product name and doing a search, it's just quicker.

And the user-entried nutritional informtion that comes up on that search may or may not include sodium. Or be accurate in any other way.