About those 10,000 Steps

124»

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    So DOMS from I guess Monday's body workout section and lunges are still killing me - the squat to the toilet is murder! - but its easing up a little today. Still managed to get some walking in the last few days, though. Tonight, I dug out my Wii Fit and went through about 30 minutes on it. Truth be told, though, I'm not sure how much that really helps. The jogging in place one might be pretty good, and there's a boxing one too, but I can't see that really giving me much of a workout. I might keep it hooked up, though, for throughout the day for active breaks from the computer.

meanwhile, hopefully the DOMS will be down to minor tomorrow and I can do another 30 minute aerobic session from Youtube.

I'm really interested in finding some beginner body weight routines for starting on some strength training, but I have no idea where to even look to find one. I went through the one from fitness nerds, but I"m not sure how effective it is. Then again, since my legs are screaming murder from the lunges, it might be doing more than I thought.......
  • bmeadows380
    The DOMS have diminished, thank goodness. Still a little sore, but getting better rapidly - so I should be all set to get another bodyweight routine in this evening, though I now know to reduce the number of lunges and gradually work up on them.

Meanwhile, I was able to get in an elliptical session this morning before I fired my work computer up; I was able to use the 30 minutes I normally would have spent driving, so I have 10 times the number of steps in this morning that I had this time yesterday. I might go for another walk at lunch or perhaps do an aerobic Youtube video; on the one hand, I'd prefer to be able to walk without having to keep a close eye on the time because I'm working from home, on the other hand, the weather is supposed to gradually worsen as the evening goes along, and it might be raining when I get off at 4 pm. We'll see what happens when lunch time rolls around.

merph518 wrote: »
    I'm close to wrapping up the program for a third time (10 years ago, then this past fall, now again after being lazy over the winter). If you have any questions about it I'd be glad to try and answer them.

@merph518 which C25K program do you recommend for someone who's never done it before? When I did a google search, I came across several different ones, and many just gave a chart but didn't expressly saw how to do it. While I have no intention of actually running a marathon, I'd like to see how I do with adding some running into my walking regimen. Right now, I"m using dedicated walking shoes to walk with, made for walking. Should I consider getting running shoes or cross trainers? (though if that's the case, I"ll have to wait until the ship times from Amazon get a little closer because I"m not going to find a good pair around here, even if the shoe stores were open1)
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited March 2020
    @bmeadows380 I use active.com's Couch to 5k Android app. You can play your own music and it gives you audio prompts to run / walk / etc during your session. It also uses GPS to track your path and lets you compare stats between your workouts.

I'm not really a shoe expert. I bought a pair of Nike running shoes when I first started running and I've been happy with them.
  • bmeadows380
    thank you! I only have a i-phone provided by work, but I"ll have to poke around to see if there something that will work.

My only issue is that this time of year, we get a lot of rainy days and I can't walk outside. I don't have any indoor place I could use an an alternate, either, unless I could get the pastor to let me in the old school gym. Or run around inside the church sanctuary.....
  • bmeadows380
    Okay, I think I may have pushed myself a little too far and bit off more than I can chew, and I'll probably be paying for it in spades tomorrow. Its a beautiful day here today, sunny and warm enough that I was even able to hang laundry outside to dry. Decided I wanted to go on a walk. On the other end of town, there is a dead in road that I had been thinking might be a good candidate for me to bike as the beginning, at least looked relatively flat, and since I have a single speed cruiser, I needed relatively flat so I could spend more time riding it and less time walking it. But it had been decades since I had actually been down that road, and I couldn't remember if it stayed flat or not.

So, I decided I'd go for a walk today and walk it. Except from my house to the end of that road turned out to be 2 3/4 miles.......which meant I had to double that length and ended up walking 5.5 miles today. And did it in 1 hour and about 47 minutes, which turns out to be something of 3 mph average rate.

When I got to the end of the road, I was starting to think that perhaps this a bit more than I should have attempted, and by the time I got back to the beginning of that road, I was starting to think I was being crazy. By the time I got back to town, I really wanted to sit down, and halfway through town, starting contemplating calling my mother to come pick me up!

But I preserved and made it all the way home with only stopping long enough at the local convenience store to pick up a bottle of water since I had drank what I had with me. I ended up with around12,000 steps on that walk alone, not counting my daily step count!

Only counting 1/3 of that still earned me another 233 calories for the day, except it also added another 10g of protein I'm now going to have to get.....
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Wow...you really did out do yourself!...you must have felt like you really accomplished something!...I really admire people that start exercising that haven’t before...I need a swift kick in the *kitten* to get me to start walking more...our life is pretty boring without having to be house bound...glad you didn’t have to call your mom to rescue you lol...when our daughter was younger and a competitive speed and synchro swimmer, she would use enough extra calories doing exercise to eat a couple of chocolate bars...I wish she did that now!...my I-pad is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I got some new walking shoes on Monday. I wore my old ones too long and they were murdering my feet. I am hoping my Xpand shoe laces come in tomorrow. I really hate tying shoes.

I decided to record what my total steps were and mileage so I could see at the end of these shoes how far I traveled in them. So far I am up to 27 miles. There is no easy way to track how much walking I do without shoes and in other shoes but the overwhelming majority of it will be in them.

I asked my neighbor who is often walking too how long she goes between shoes and she said 6 months.
  • bmeadows380
    edited April 2020
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I got some new walking shoes on Monday. I wore my old ones too long and they were murdering my feet. I am hoping my Xpand shoe laces come in tomorrow. I really hate tying shoes.

I decided to record what my total steps were and mileage so I could see at the end of these shoes how far I traveled in them. So far I am up to 27 miles. There is no easy way to track how much walking I do without shoes and in other shoes but the overwhelming majority of it will be in them.

I asked my neighbor who is often walking too how long she goes between shoes and she said 6 months.

6 months?!!!! I can't afford to replace my shoes that often!

I bought a new pair too; supposed to be here between Friday and Monday. My old pair I've had for several years, but I didn't use them too much before now, so they haven't worn out yet. They aren't giving me trouble and are orthotic for flat footed people, and they've lasted well, but they were also very expensive - over $100 - so I don't want to go replacing those that often! I only use them for walking.

The ones i have coming in are cross trainers, and I really need them more for an every day tennis shoe. The pair I have now were $20 shoes from Walmart, and they make my feet hurt if I wear them for more than just everyday style usage. I use them for the elliptical and even there, they feel like after a while to be squeezing my toes. They have memory foam, but I don't like memory foam in my shoes - yes, its nice and soft, but it doesn't provide support where I need support and thus my feet hurt badly after any distance in them. Unfortunately, all my local Walmart sells are shoes with memory foam. Of course, I can't get to a shoe store right now.

The cross trainers that are coming are New Balance and had great reviews, though I had to settle for solid black instead of white and blue like I originally wanted. I got them too because I"m thinking of giving C25K a try this summer and know that i can't run in my old walking shoes since they are definitely made for walking not running.

However, I read not long ago that you shouldn't run in cross trainers either, so I don't know if I can use for that or not.

That's a good idea on the mileage thing!
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited April 2020
    Here's what I do about shoe replacements: I buy a new pair for running every 6 months. The old running shoes turn into walking shoes for the next 6 months and what used to be a walking shoe becomes a "go to the grocery store" shoe. The "go to the grocery store" shoe turns into a painting and yard work shoe and the the former "yard work shoe" gets recycled.

My favorite running shoe is the Nike Zoom Fly 3 - it has steel plates inside that give you a boost forward. Really a pleasure to run in.

I know it's expensive to buy a fresh pair of shoes every 6 months, but running and walking shoes were really only designed to last between 250-300 miles before the shock absorbing properties just don't work like they use to. Your knees need that cushion - especially if you are overweight. Replacing shoes is expensive but it's cheaper than a replacing your knees.
  • bmeadows380
    @speyerj I think walking we could probably get a little longer out of, but I can definitely see the quicker replacement for a runner.

What are your thoughts on cross trainers for a beginner runner? I'm not really sure what a cross trainer is, other than I thought it was all seasonal tires - not designed to be best at one particular area, but suitable in most situations for both.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    If you are going to run, even slowly, get a running shoe. They have way more shock absorption and stability than cross training shoes. At our larger size, there's so much more stress on our joints when we run that you'll want the extra protection. And your cross trainers will make great walking shoes. Only use the running shoes for running - until it's time to replace them.

Best of luck with running. It took me a while to get back into it. I started in mid November. I waited until I was 220 pounds and eased into the program using interval training, similar to the C25K program you are using.

I use to feel about running the way I feel about process documentation. I hated the idea of it, hated the first 10 minutes of it but loved it when I was done. Now I look forward to it (running, not process documentation). I'm on track (assuming it doesn't get cancelled) to run my first 1/2 marathon in July. I'm up to a max of 7 miles right now and getting comfortable running a 5 miler.

You can totally do this. I hope it helps you find your inner athlete too.
  • bmeadows380
    speyerj wrote: »
    If you are going to run, even slowly, get a running shoe. They have way more shock absorption and stability than cross training shoes. At our larger size, there's so much more stress on our joints when we run that you'll want the extra protection. And your cross trainers will make great walking shoes. Only use the running shoes for running - until it's time to replace them.

Best of luck with running. It took me a while to get back into it. I started in mid November. I waited until I was 220 pounds and eased into the program using interval training, similar to the C25K program you are using.

I use to feel about running the way I feel about process documentation. I hated the idea of it, hated the first 10 minutes of it but loved it when I was done. Now I look forward to it (running, not process documentation). I'm on track (assuming it doesn't get cancelled) to run my first 1/2 marathon in July. I'm up to a max of 7 miles right now and getting comfortable running a 5 miler.

You can totally do this. I hope it helps you find your inner athlete too.

@speyerj I haven't started yet, but I've been thinking about it. This time of year is no good, though, because of the rain; its hit and miss on what days you can get out and what days you can't. So I thought to wait until early summer when its more dependable, and head up to the church's soccer field and start there - level and softer because its grass and not asphalt.

My shoes came in today, though I haven't tried them on yet. I might take them walking this evening to break them in. I'll probably use them as my everyday shoe because I desperately needed a pair of those, and like I said, I hate what Walmart has to offer.

So I'll look into running shoes closer to summer, unless I talk myself out of it lol I've never run before as I've always been way too heavy to contemplate it; I've been obese since puberty and didn't do any sports in school, and that's been 20+ years ago!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I can't handle running with my knees. They ache just thinking about it. The elliptical is kind of a simulated running without the shock so I guess that is as good as it gets for me at the moment.