WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    So, as I'm cooling down from my elliptical, I'll tell you about the conversation with my sister yesterday. Reasonably short, but might be offensive to some for various reasons, so I'll stick it in a spoiler.
    Please note, there are only two people in the world who share my full genetic makeup, a brother two years older and a sister two years younger. I was 9th of 10 children, but it was blended: three of my father's (probably - different story), four of my mother's, and then the three of us. My parents broke each other of the remarrying habit, but passed it down to their children.

That was a side trip, sorry. So--you might think this sister and I would be on the same page. Not to stretch a metaphor to the breaking point, but we're not only not on the same page, we've seldom been in the same book, and often not even in the same library.

So, when I called her yesterday, I fully expected a lecture on the end times, which she's warned me of in previous conversations in lurid detail. She's been trying to save me since she was 22 and I was 24. She has yet to succeed.

Please note--I'm not trying to offend any person who believes. While I have enormous respect for the faithful, I simply have baseline opinions which are not the same.

My sister also believes the earth is flat. I just have no words for that.

I maintain the relationship because I love her, not because I agree with her, and when I can get her away from the religious and political discussions, we have lovely conversations. As she gets older, it's harder and harder to get her away from them, unfortunately.

So, yesterday, I called her to see if she was OK. When I asked her if the virus was impacting her, she asked me in curious tones if I actually knew anyone with the disease, and when I said no, she told me she didn't either. And then started into her theory that this isn't actually real, it's a hoax, there is no virus, this is just a way to trap us all in our homes while "they" take over the economy.

I didn't stay on the phone long enough to find out who "they" were. Told her I had to go potty. So... I'm a coward--but I could not listen to yet another conspiracy theory. I simply can't watch our country under siege in this pandemic, while all of us watch the death toll rise, and listen to someone who says it's all a lie. I would have said something awful, and nearly did as it was. If it would do any good, I would have, I swear... but she cannot hear reason once she's deep in these theories.

So, I'll refrain from calling her 'til all this calms down, and hope that in her disbelief, she doesn't end up getting ill because she believes it's not real. She has massive risk factors, as she has terrible nerve damage from a fall from a ladder, and is taking medication that has distinct immune system impacts.

But this comes under the heading of "the things I cannot change." I'm sure she feels the same way about me. :'(

Had to get that off my chest... Sorry if it was depressing.

Love y'all,
    Lisa

I had a discussion with my niece about people's reaction to this and some friends of long time standing surprised me in their reaction. Although I did not get hoax from any of them. I liked what she said they are just not their yet and seeing how serious this illness is. Thinking they are just not there yet helps me not get so over reactive because I want everyone on the this is a bad really bad illness because then they would more likely buy into social distancing, washing hands more, and avoiding crowds. These actions is what helps to slow down other getting sick. Lisa she just isn't there yet from what you say. Her opinion could change tomorrow.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Funny papers Jokes
    2livxzm2eyw4.jpeg
    o1yxhf2dxqkc.jpeg
    bx8e0a43ya99.jpeg
    snpgafrmxzko.jpeg
    siabb3gxh89z.jpeg
    iff134hpxtnc.jpeg
    c33iqnr3btgd.jpeg
    15emazjs2hhj.jpeg
    id6gjlg396hj.jpeg
    5i106kaoo6u8.jpeg
    1dre5al6abet.jpeg

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10789857/recipes-with-few-ingredients#latest

I’m still posting more recipes but it’s in my spare time so few a day. Helping some in harder hit grocery areas lots are 3 ingredients needed 1-5ingredients for many can choose to add more or less on many.

Amber Tx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    Amber TX- I remember canned bread and still it from time to time from Amazon! Live that stuff (not Keto though lol).

Made some keto white bread today. Came out really good! Nice texture too!

RV Rita

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Machka: I hope you are able to work from home without undue stress. It seems like a grand idea compared with going into a potentially virus ridden, life threatening office. :flowerforyou:

(((Lisa))) Sorry that your sister is difficult. I’ve rarely been pleased to be an only child, but at this moment I can see a bright side. :ohwell:

Heather: You are in a more flexible society that we seem to be. We’ve been ordered to shelter in place. We can buy groceries but are otherwise expected to stay home. Businesses are unable to open. How will they meet their rents? I worry for them. :sad:

Barbie: Thanks for "Nine things to give UP if You Want to be Happy." Brilliant! :star:

Lanette: I love the 10th thing to give up if you want to be happy. “Don't waste time fretting about things/people/events I can't control.” Also brilliant! :heart:

I’m feeling a bit housebound today. :ohwell: I may take the dog for a walk later. I’ll stay away from people except at good social distances.

Katla in NW Oregon

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Luci ~ Love the pretty baby! <3

Beth ~ What a kind and generous thing you did in helping the elderly couple. I know you have a lot to tend to in your own home and that was such a blessing for them. Also, how kind of your neighbors bringing you eggs. o:)

Karen ~ That possible job sounds like a wonderful opportunity. :)

Heather ~ So good of you and your husband to keep the grands entertained. :)

Heard today that the schools in Ga will be closed until the end of April and possibly for the rest of the year. :'(

DH's BnL in the assisted living notified us that his glasses had broken. Now DH has to figure out a way to get them fixed. :s

Carol in GA

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    spl4xedreh6j.jpg

View of lake near son's house taken when we walked today.
    Talked to friend who had bad accident today. I can tell getting her thoughts together is tough. i am pulling for her. She had her COVID last year when she was in her accident. Her life changed forever.
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    World 🌎 weirder y weirder

My Grandma in Odessa Texas having lots of daily earth quakes 3.0 magnitudes. Lots of places are. Her windows Jeep rattling up a storm . Her goats 🐐 don’t seem to notice.
    Locust y grasshoppers taking over worst swarm yet.
    Disease is spreading
    Reminds me of Moses yelling let my people go!

Found cute video I love the kids up a storm
    https://youtu.be/okzCt4RbYow

Amber Tx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Dr Katie Is love to wear that shirt see my hubby face lol 😂

Amber Tx