Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Genuine question here, this is not directed at anyone but is something I’ve thought about when the subject of ‘children falling behind with schooling’ comes up.

Who exactly are they ‘falling behind’? The virus impacts their whole peer group not just a select few. If they’re all effected by either school closures, home schooling, online learning, limited contact teaching or whatever measures are in place where they live, then they’re all equally disadvantaged.

An entire generation world wide is in the same situation, so it’s not as if when it comes to finding their place in the world when they leave education they’ll be up against their peers who had a different experience.

Unless by then we’ve been invaded by people from other planets where COVID didn’t exist! 😂

I think the "disparate impact" is happening with respect to families in more difficult situations.

Before going on, I want to underscore that I support most of the restrictions that are in place as public health measures. Now, I'm going on . . . .

Families where both parents have to work, who don't have other family members/friends to supervise their children's home schooling, are at a relative disadvantage to children who have a parent or other in the home to provide that supervision. Even with a parent in the home, students with attentive or well-educated parents may be at an advantage, compared to students whose parents are struggling psychologically themselves, or whose own educational success was very limited.

Families that are relatively wealthier can afford technology or education-advancement services and products that may advantage their children, as compared with families in financially insecure situations. (This is not just "extras", but perhaps the difference between following an online class at home on a nice laptop with fast internet, vs. somewhere in a public library parking lot on a smart phone.) Children in smaller, crowded living quarters with more family members (or an extended household) are potentially at a disadvantage when it comes to noise, distractions, etc., vs. children who have a quiet, suitably set-up place to do their online schooling.

And so forth.

That's in addition to personal personality factors that differ between children.

Yes, and all of this was true before the pandemic. There has always been a disparity in resources and opportunities depending on a child's home life. Just because kids are sitting together in a brick and mortar classroom doesn't mean they are all having an equal educational experience. Those homelife variables are going to be a powerful influence whether you're virtual or in-person. It's interesting that the public is just starting to notice or care about this. Teachers already know this.

I wouldn't argue with any of that - yes, disparities are always present.

I do think the pandemic adaptations may amplify that effect, however. On the one hand, we expect too much of schools and teachers - expect that they can overcome those disparities. On the other hand, we don't recognize and value what teachers and schools do accomplish, as much as we should - they do counterbalance some of the disparities, to a certain extent, in the best cases. To some extent, they still do, even in current circumstances. But current circumstances make that more difficult than usual, even.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I was expecting to wait awhile before I was even eligible for the vaccine, feeling kind of okay with that because I would rather see how side effects play out. But I received a note in the mail today, because I help care for my BIL I'm eligible for the vaccine now and need to call our local hospital by the 20th to set up an appt.
    The 1st shot doesn't scare me but the 2nd one does, only because I've heard people get worse reactions with that one.
    I'm 67, pretty healthy as far as it all goes, had Covid(Blessedly mild) back around Thanksgiving but just not knowing how it'll affect me leaves me apprehensive.
    Any encouraging words to offer?
    Thank you!!

Reenie, have you gotten the shingles vaccine? I have to say, after listening to conversations about vaccines for the last month or two, I am looking forward to the covid vaccines and kind of scared of the shingles one! :lol:

Sore arm a couple times and $400 out the door NBD.

Good to know!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    We need to get people vaccinated ASAP! We need herd immunity.

U.S. potentially facing ‘perpetual infection’ of Covid in spring as new variants spread, warns Dr. Scott Gottlieb

“If we can’t get more protective immunity into the population, we could be facing a situation where we have, sort of, a perpetual infection heading into the spring and summer as these variants get a foothold here,” said Dr. Scott Gottlieb.

Researchers at Ohio State found a new Covid strain in the U.S. with mutations that scientists haven’t seen before.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/14/us-potentially-facing-perpetual-infection-of-covid-says-gottlieb.html
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    On the plus side, for her doctor's appointments - they have stopped overbooking and now she can get in and out. But now I'm aware of the issue of medical overbooking and will be very annoyed by it when it starts happening again. I've been really enjoying all these mostly empty waiting rooms for my own medical issues.

Not sure where you live.
    In Australia, waiting rooms are less full than they used to be because Medicare has approved phone consults, I think until the end of March, at this stage.
    The bookings are not any less full, just many of the patients are not physically in the surgery.

I think Telehealth is here to stay..
    The temporary telehealth services that were introduced by the Australian Government at the start of the pandemic will become a permanent part of the Australian Medicare system, Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said on Friday last week.( from a Nov 2020 news article)

Will be interesting to see how this goes over the longer term.
    There are already restrictions on it - is now only available for patients who have been regular patient for at least 12 months.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    I was expecting to wait awhile before I was even eligible for the vaccine, feeling kind of okay with that because I would rather see how side effects play out. But I received a note in the mail today, because I help care for my BIL I'm eligible for the vaccine now and need to call our local hospital by the 20th to set up an appt.
    The 1st shot doesn't scare me but the 2nd one does, only because I've heard people get worse reactions with that one.
    I'm 67, pretty healthy as far as it all goes, had Covid(Blessedly mild) back around Thanksgiving but just not knowing how it'll affect me leaves me apprehensive.
    Thank you!!

Reenie, have you gotten the shingles vaccine? I have to say, after listening to conversations about vaccines for the last month or two, I am looking forward to the covid vaccines and kind of scared of the shingles one! :lol:

In my work, I have given hundreds of shingles vaccines - no more reactions than any other vaccine.

As with all vaccines some people get sore arm and /or redness and swelling.
    But doesn't seem any more so than any other vaccine.

It is a live vaccine though so some people cannot have it.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!

In my work, I have given hundreds of shingles vaccines - no more reactions than any other vaccine.

As with all vaccines some people get sore arm and /or redness and swelling.
    But doesn't seem any more so than any other vaccine.

It is a live vaccine though so some people cannot have it.

Who should not have the shingles vaccine? Curious
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Thank you!!

Last winter I had 4 shots, the flu, shingles and pneumonia; one required a 2nd shot but can't remember which one it was. :/ I felt kind of icky the next day, nothing debilitating, just wanted to sleep it off.. but unfortunately having had so many shots I honestly couldn't tell you which 1 it was. I've never had a reaction more than a sore arm from any injection before.

I know my dad had Shingles and it wasn't fun so even if the injection has a side affect, it's worth it.

I've now heard if you've had Covid then the Covid vaccine is worst with the 1st one, if you haven't had Covid the 2nd injection will give you a bigger effect. Everything is so darn confusing about all of it. :( I visit another forum where Covid vaccine is a big topic and someone reported knowing 7 people that have been vaccinated so far. Five with sore arms, 1had flu like symptoms for a weekend but the 7th was hospitalized with breathing issues but is a person with 22 yrs. under his belt of smoker's lungs.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    @kshama2001 and @cwolfman13 I respect both your replies pointing out how the surgeon general is part of an administration and is therefore not apolitical. But, the other part of the original comment, which I also addressed, was how the 15 days to slow the spread did not "come from Fauci". As I quoted above, at the same approximate point in time, Fauci was stating "several weeks". In the overcall experience we have had, the 15 days of the surgeon general vs the several weeks stated by Fauci were equally wrong.

One of the big issues here is that we weren't even able to see what two weeks or several weeks of an actual lockdown would do. Everything was left to individual states. There were states who never shut anything down at all...others put in minimal restrictions...others shut down, but very quickly opened everything back up to almost normal. That's like having a special area of the swimming pool that it's ok to pee in. The only way anything like two weeks or several weeks would have worked is if everyone was on the same page and doing the same thing. This is pretty evident just by observing other countries that have effectively controlled the virus.

Also, if you remember back to March and the two week plan or the CDC and Fauci saying it would be longer...part of all of that was slow, phased opening up...which should have also been an indication to people that restrictions would go on considerably longer. Honestly, if anyone legitimately thought it would be a couple of weeks or several weeks and then we'd just be back to pre COVID life, I would have to question if they were actually paying attention to what was happening in the world around them.

There wasn't even a phased opening in many states...and even more states that were opening in phases, but not really following any kind of guideline as to what should or would be open in any given phase of re-opening.

There is a reason that the USA leads the world in COVID positivity rates...there is a reason other countries have been able to control the virus...

While all valid, my original post was simply in response to someone (don't recall who) stating that they never heard any two weeks statement, so I showed the surgeon general and the 15 days to slow the spread announced last March to show that there was something (not whether it was good or bad).

Then people said, well that statement was not from a scientist like Fauci. So I showed Fauci said fairly similar around the same time. My posts all have roots in the single original comment about never hearing of a "two week" plan.

It was 2 weeks to "slow the spread" not END the spread. We were supposed to be flattening the curve so resources would not be overwhelmed by a sudden, massive spike of infections. It was supposed to give us time to prepare for the coming onslaught. Although the time seemed to be squandered... Did anyone really say or even think it would be over in 2 weeks?

The only person telling us it would magically completely disappear soon was the president. I can see how people who believed his statements would be disappointed when the pandemic kept going...

I'm not sure you can say that Fauci's comment was "equally wrong" since he said it would be several weeks with restrictions in place to get things under control. Since we never actually had anything consistent and coordinated in place, we can't actually know if he would have been right or wrong. We never did the things he told us we needed to do.

And if you back and read the Fauci quotes in this thread, making sure to read all the text around what was bolded, he was actually saying "at least several weeks" and "several weeks or longer."

True, but if I were have a repair done and the contractor stated servers weeks or longer back mid-March, I would expect it to be complete by some point in May.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    @kshama2001 and @cwolfman13 I respect both your replies pointing out how the surgeon general is part of an administration and is therefore not apolitical. But, the other part of the original comment, which I also addressed, was how the 15 days to slow the spread did not "come from Fauci". As I quoted above, at the same approximate point in time, Fauci was stating "several weeks". In the overcall experience we have had, the 15 days of the surgeon general vs the several weeks stated by Fauci were equally wrong.

One of the big issues here is that we weren't even able to see what two weeks or several weeks of an actual lockdown would do. Everything was left to individual states. There were states who never shut anything down at all...others put in minimal restrictions...others shut down, but very quickly opened everything back up to almost normal. That's like having a special area of the swimming pool that it's ok to pee in. The only way anything like two weeks or several weeks would have worked is if everyone was on the same page and doing the same thing. This is pretty evident just by observing other countries that have effectively controlled the virus.

Also, if you remember back to March and the two week plan or the CDC and Fauci saying it would be longer...part of all of that was slow, phased opening up...which should have also been an indication to people that restrictions would go on considerably longer. Honestly, if anyone legitimately thought it would be a couple of weeks or several weeks and then we'd just be back to pre COVID life, I would have to question if they were actually paying attention to what was happening in the world around them.

There wasn't even a phased opening in many states...and even more states that were opening in phases, but not really following any kind of guideline as to what should or would be open in any given phase of re-opening.

There is a reason that the USA leads the world in COVID positivity rates...there is a reason other countries have been able to control the virus...

While all valid, my original post was simply in response to someone (don't recall who) stating that they never heard any two weeks statement, so I showed the surgeon general and the 15 days to slow the spread announced last March to show that there was something (not whether it was good or bad).

Then people said, well that statement was not from a scientist like Fauci. So I showed Fauci said fairly similar around the same time. My posts all have roots in the single original comment about never hearing of a "two week" plan.

It was 2 weeks to "slow the spread" not END the spread. We were supposed to be flattening the curve so resources would not be overwhelmed by a sudden, massive spike of infections. It was supposed to give us time to prepare for the coming onslaught. Although the time seemed to be squandered... Did anyone really say or even think it would be over in 2 weeks?

The only person telling us it would magically completely disappear soon was the president. I can see how people who believed his statements would be disappointed when the pandemic kept going...

I'm not sure you can say that Fauci's comment was "equally wrong" since he said it would be several weeks with restrictions in place to get things under control. Since we never actually had anything consistent and coordinated in place, we can't actually know if he would have been right or wrong. We never did the things he told us we needed to do.

And if you back and read the Fauci quotes in this thread, making sure to read all the text around what was bolded, he was actually saying "at least several weeks" and "several weeks or longer."

True, but if I were have a repair done and the contractor stated servers weeks or longer back mid-March, I would expect it to be complete by some point in May.

Unfortunately, 'in these times', yes those dreaded words again, it doesn't happen like it used to. We just had a bathroom reno, looking at replacing some windows and possibly redoing our kitchen, so I've heard this estimate of time several times now.
    I'm sure it's much more so with anything that dares to be promised about Covid. :(