Coronavirus prep

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I’ve seen people who work outside—construction, garbage collection, etc.— wearing gators. Looks smart to me. Warmth + a
    Little protection, even though they are outside and usually distanced from others. Don’t know what’s underneath.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Antiopelle wrote: »
    In Belgium any type of cloth mask is now prohibited in most hospitals and the disposable blue masks are generally encouraged. Apparently hospital staff encountered too many patients and visitors wearing cloth masks that were clearly not hygienic anymore, becoming a source of bacterial infection in themselves.
    Cloth masks should be washed every day with soap at a temp of at least 60°c. The reasoning behind is that this is a hurdle most people do not take and disposables will be replaced more often as they are more convenient. Normally the max time to use the disposables is 4 hours, but I do believe that many people wear them more than that, usually until one of the elastics break.

I've had to go to our hospital (Ontario, Canada) twice recently for diagnostic tests and they give you one of the blue disposable masks to swap out for whatever you're wearing as soon as you pass the screening questions at the entrance. I was a bit surprised that a temperature check wasn't part of screening.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Re: gaitors, awhile back we ordered a pack of 4, before dh's work disallowed them. Our gaitors(not sure if they're all the same) are big enough to double and even triple up so wouldn't that qualify as good coverage as well?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Re: gaitors, awhile back we ordered a pack of 4, before dh's work disallowed them. Our gaitors(not sure if they're all the same) are big enough to double and even triple up so wouldn't that qualify as good coverage as well?

You would think.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    Just observations on masks:

I sewed and donated masks about 6 - 7 months and still do, but there is less interest need. Information at the time was that the fabric was to be a woven fabric and not a knit fabric (gaitors are all knit). The mask should be two layers of fabric thick and preferred if there is a nose wire to conform the top edge to your face and of course fit around the sides as well. Filter pockets were idea and there you wanted a second type of fabric. I don't recall the term, but apparently the fabric style reusable shopping bags were perfect for cutting up and placing inside that pocket. As for gaitor, they are single layer, knit fabric and no filter, but to be honest I see a lot of "cute" single layer knit fabric masks sold as well. When I get back to florida, our condo property is requiring masks when in public spaces and our property has no indoor common spaces other that a single elevator that I very rarely use. There I plan to use a gator if going out walking, it will meet the condo rules, though I truly see little to no jeopardy to others in the setting there, but will be easy to put down around my neck once off the property and on the quiet street. Shopping? I will use a classic two layer woven mask.

As for being a patient, I had my annual physical last thursday and bloodwork this Monday. For physical, one calls from the car and is screened (a second time as there was a online survey to be completed prior as well), then I proceeded to the locked door of the office where my mask was swapped for a new blue mask, took initial temp, and brought into waiting area. All seats remaining were about 10 feet apart. When time, weight, temp and such were done in an open hallway instead of the usual pre-appointment room, then lastly I was brought to the exam room. Johnys are not done unless necessary for an added exam, and the doctor (in convo) ended up sharing the appointment length depends a bit on the conversation. She recounted a patient that she asked about if he still goes to his drinking club and he said yes. She asked him how he drinks with a mask and his reply was that they put on the masks when they stand up. She said his appointment was very short.

Monday's bloodwork. Everyone lines up outside the building and stands on the social distance dots. There is a screener at the door and takes your temp and asks questions. Mask is then swapped and you are given a dated neon orange sticker to wear indicating you are allowed in the building for only that day. All chairs (except 2 or 3) are gone (normally 30+) and social distance dots and barriers set up. All medical orders were electronic and no signing of docs like in the past.