Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Still no Covid here. Hope that doesn't upset the couple of people rude to me last time.

Where is this?

Australia
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Mockchock is in Australia. Their Government closed their borders early on and instituted a daily intake numbers and quarantine hotels to keep the virus out and its been working. I'm pleased for the Australian and New Zealand peoples who did similarly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Mockchock is in Australia. Their Government closed their borders early on and instituted a daily intake numbers and quarantine hotels to keep the virus out and its been working. I'm pleased for the Australian and New Zealand peoples who did similarly.

I too am very happy for Australian and New Zealand.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited February 2021

IMO it’s scary how quick people are to surrender their freedoms and how quickly governments are ready to take them..
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I too am very happy for Australian and New Zealand.

The state of Victoria (Melbourne is the capital) is now under quarantine for five days since Friday, due to an outbreak of COVID in a Holiday Inn quarantine hotel. The Australia Open is being played without spectators. That is the latest information that I got, and I don't know if it changed in the last 24 hours.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Still no Covid here. Hope that doesn't upset the couple of people rude to me last time.

Where is this?

A region in North Queensland. We have seen very little of it. We had a politician way back come and luckily nothing much came from it. We still have sanitiser in every shop and most try to social distance. No masks needed yet.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member

Melbourne is experiencing a small outbreak of the UK mutant strain at the moment and has gone into a five day lockdown (across all of the state of Victoria) which may or may not be extended. In addition, a number of Australian states and territorities have locked out Victorian travellers and any residents who have returned home from Victoria are expected to home quarantine.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member

Where is this?

A region in North Queensland. We have seen very little of it. We had a politician way back come and luckily nothing much came from it. We still have sanitiser in every shop and most try to social distance. No masks needed yet.

My daughter lived in Brisbane for a year. She loves it there.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I think that because smoking damages the lungs and Covid attacks the lungs and heart, smokers are at higher risk of serious illness and fatality. It's frustrating that my 81 year old diabetic husband has to wait in line with the 25 year old smoker, but it is easier for us to hole up than it might be for someone younger who needs to work. We can wait.

That’s terrible. Where are you that 81 year olds aren’t already vaccinated? In TN we are down to 70+ now.

I was looking at the latest info and at present diabetes is 1c in TN, along with 55+. I’m 52. So if I were just three years older, I would be eligible from my age at the same time as my diabetes, which seems nuts to me.

Also, what stops people from claiming to smoke? Or even starting to smoke, just to get the vaccine?

Here in Massachusetts our vax rollout has been horrendous. Wednesday, Gov. Charlie Baker announced that people accompanying those over 75 to mass vaccination sites could also sign up for a shot, which prompted posts on Craigslist soliciting seniors, outrage by teachers (who are not in a priority group) and others waiting patiently for shots, and this bit on The Daily Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua-xnNdB68w&t=122s

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/02/11/massachusetts-vaccine-eligibility-companions-craigslist

I guess if the alternative is that an elderly person can't get there on their own so doesn't get a shot - it makes sense? At this point in our supposed "rollout" I really don't care who they give the odd extra shot to as long as someone is getting it.

I agree. I feel like there's not enough public recognition of the fact that each person vaccinated is one less (or 0.7 less or whatever the effective rate of that dose) potential transmission vector and one less (0.7 less) opportunity for a mutation to create a virus variant that could be more lethal, more transmissible, or more resistant to the vaccines.

Anybody getting vaccinated helps me, even though I haven't gotten vaccinated yet. Especially if I haven't gotten vaccinated yet.

I thought that a vaccinated individual was still able to carry and transmit the virus, that the vaccine just prevented the vaccinated person from developing more serious symptoms, requiring medical treatment, hospitalization, etc.

Or maybe I'm just not up to date on the latest results?

My understanding is they fully expect the mRNA vaccines will also stop people from spreading the virus, they just don't have enough data yet to determine that.

That's much more promising than the initial reports. Thanks for the update, I haven't been following it lately since my chances of getting vaccinated within the next year look pretty low.