Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    From The New York Times:

What Happens When People Stop Going to the Doctor? We’re About to Find Out
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/opinion/medical-care-coronavirus.html?smid=em-share

Very true!.

Might just be me, but I'll take my chances with 'rona before postponing screenings.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    @Theoldguy1
    The same here! Got all my yearly screenings, including dental, ENT, and vision, as soon as the facilities started to take appointments again. I am not taking any chances with things that I can control.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Antiopelle wrote: »
    In Belgium, only about 5% has been vaccinated yet due to a shortage of vaccines. It is particularly sour as the vaccines are produced right here but are mostly all exported. I live +- 5 km (3 miles) from the Pfizer manufacturing site and taking into my age (51) and health, I'll probably have to wait until September.
    However, we try to take it on the bright side: better times are ahead and at least we live in a country where there is a vaccination plan rolled out, even if it might take a lot of time still.
    It is what it is, and getting frustrated doesn't help, keeping up a positive attitude does.

I'm in Canada and getting my first Pfizer shot this week. I am 55, but I am caregiver to my mother who lives in a seniors residence and is 87 - so they have seemingly deemed me to be in a priority group. I actually feel a bit weird about getting it so early, but I guess since I am at the seniors residence regularly it is more about protecting them not me.
    Even at that they are telling us that 60 years old's in the general population should be eligible July 1 (we will see if that happens), and by September anyone who wants one can get it. I was really upset about the Canadian roll-out, but it seems there are issues everywhere. I'm surprised that you would have to wait so long in Belgium to get it.

I assume Belgium is in the same EU-wide distribution scheme as Finland - here the last estimate for healthy adults in non-medical professions is that vaccinating could start in May. Even then they are rolling it out in reverse age order, I think, so it could be a while before my social circle (25-35) gets it.

I’ll have to wait until this baby is born anyway. I hope they come into their senses and start vaccinating household members of high-risk people who can’t be vaccinated, like spouses of pregnant women and family members of those who are allergic or have other health issues preventing vaccination. It would seem like a logical thing to do, since the majority of new infections is from household member to household member.

However, the vaccine will not prevent family members from getting and passing on the virus. THEY won't get a serious case. That's why masks, hand washing, and distancing will continue.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    My husband (81) and I (77) got our two shots of Pfizer already. I wish we knew when a booster against the new variants will be available. My arm is ready... :)
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    In Belgium, only about 5% has been vaccinated yet due to a shortage of vaccines. It is particularly sour as the vaccines are produced right here but are mostly all exported. I live +- 5 km (3 miles) from the Pfizer manufacturing site and taking into my age (51) and health, I'll probably have to wait until September.
    However, we try to take it on the bright side: better times are ahead and at least we live in a country where there is a vaccination plan rolled out, even if it might take a lot of time still.
    It is what it is, and getting frustrated doesn't help, keeping up a positive attitude does.

I'm in Canada and getting my first Pfizer shot this week. I am 55, but I am caregiver to my mother who lives in a seniors residence and is 87 - so they have seemingly deemed me to be in a priority group. I actually feel a bit weird about getting it so early, but I guess since I am at the seniors residence regularly it is more about protecting them not me.
    Even at that they are telling us that 60 years old's in the general population should be eligible July 1 (we will see if that happens), and by September anyone who wants one can get it. I was really upset about the Canadian roll-out, but it seems there are issues everywhere. I'm surprised that you would have to wait so long in Belgium to get it.

I assume Belgium is in the same EU-wide distribution scheme as Finland - here the last estimate for healthy adults in non-medical professions is that vaccinating could start in May. Even then they are rolling it out in reverse age order, I think, so it could be a while before my social circle (25-35) gets it.

I’ll have to wait until this baby is born anyway. I hope they come into their senses and start vaccinating household members of high-risk people who can’t be vaccinated, like spouses of pregnant women and family members of those who are allergic or have other health issues preventing vaccination. It would seem like a logical thing to do, since the majority of new infections is from household member to household member.

However, the vaccine will not prevent family members from getting and passing on the virus. THEY won't get a serious case. That's why masks, hand washing, and distancing will continue.

I agree. However, studies have linked serious cases to producing more virus in their bodies and making it easier to spread it on, because they have symptoms like coughing that spread it around and they have "more to give". So, while a vaccinated person can still spread it, they won't spread it as easily.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

Lucky! Locally our paramedics just got their first shot Friday and now we're out of vaccines again. I think the next group is seniors in congregate living other than long term care.

My dad (81) heard that over 80s can start getting vaccinated March 15th. I told him not to pin any hope on that one.

They have already started vaccinating over 80s in some areas of Ontario. York and Halton for sure. Some health departments are setting up their own appointments before the provincial website comes online on the 15th - so maybe check your local health department website.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    It's amazing to me that some areas are just getting to 80 yo with the vaccine. :( March 1st our state started 65+ and I feel so blessed that many of my friends and family are now able to get it. I'm hoping my ds, even though he's much younger he's in a risk group with his diabetes, can get it within the month or so.