Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    They discussed A-Z on TWIV in more depth this week. To boil it down, they said the incidence of blood clots was no greater than in the general pop, BUT acknowledged the fact that those few affected were under 55 women was unusual,as we're the specifics of the cases. They said that while it could be coincidental, it requires study. However, they said that you still have a better chance right now of getting a bad case of covid than you do of getting dangerous blood clots from the A-Z vaccine, so they don't think countries who are relying on A-Z should withdraw it and risk prolonging the pandemic.

There was a deep dive discussion on the differences between A-Z and the other major vaccines, and I was not able to follow any of it :blush:

They also mentioned that there's been a lot of "drama" around the A-Z trial and rollout and while they're convinced the A-Z vaccine is a good vaccine, it's a shame A-Z has made such a mess of the whole thing.

The article I read said that the blood clot reaction was similar to a rare reaction one might get with other drugs, specifically heparin, and it is similar to a rare auto immune response. Of course if you are taking one of the drugs that also rarely causes this reaction (like heparin I guess) you would weigh the risks against the benefits of the drug for whatever problem you are treating.
    The problem with the vaccine causing the same reaction is that you are giving it to young healthy people who are not ill yet and may never be - so the risk assessment gets a little more tricky. That's the summary I read about it anyway - I guess we will see what Canada decides on it. I agree though they did make a mess of it - I don't know if the Astra Zeneca vaccine will ever be well accepted here now.

Heparin is a blood thinner. I didn’t realize clots were a potential side effect.
  • Psychgrrl
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Just something that happened yesterday to me unusual during my workout. Don't know if it had anything to do with the shot on Friday or not, but I push my workouts pretty hard (I do cardio 6 days a week for around an hour a day).

Did a 1K (machine) row TT (timed test). I know it's an odd thing to do -- my version of pushing hard on the treadmill but the treadmill is a rower instead. I was feeling a bit off yesterday AM, but it's not that unusual for me to push hard when I'm not feeling 100%. This is the rowing machine equivalent of an 800m all out run. I did a warmup as well (1000 meters, around five minutes). I do this type of stuff often, two times a week, so this isn't anything out of the ordinary. I often do 500m X 8 (half the distance, a little less hard, but 8 reps) once or twice a month. Usually my HR drops like a rock during recovery, which is a good sign.

Yesterday was different. HR stayed high, had a nasty cough and felt like garbage. Maybe the coughing had a lot to do with the HR not dropping, but it took like 10 minutes for the HR to drop back to normal from significantly elevated. Perhaps the shot along with allergens in the air and just a bit of a warmer day. Felt like exercise induced asthma that lasted for hours, severe for around 30 to 40 minutes. I've had exercise induced asthma years ago in my youth, when I was in way worse aerobic shape than I am now, but nothing like this in the last 10 years, so I felt the timing to be odd.

I can't seem to find any advice except for "exercise as normal" related to the vaccines. Maybe just a one off day for me. Who knows. In general, it's not a great idea to push hard unless you feel 100%, so certainly partly my fault, but I certainly won't be pushing my HR past 90% max again until I'm feeling 100% from this round or the second Pfizer shot.

Asthma is frequently an autoimmune issue, so maybe your immune system, being triggered after the vax, then flared up with a bit of your old exercise-induced asthma? When I got COVID last March, I developed some pretty nasty, progressively worse asthma in the weeks and months after. Never needed an inhaler before COVID, but now I have two, even a full year later. It took about 9 months to get my running pace back to something near normal. I'm also the type who works out vigorously most days of the week. I wonder if you would have developed full blown asthma like I did, if you'd had COVID. At least now you're vaxxed, so you probably won't have to find out! :D

That makes sense. I don't know, but it's the only time I've ever taken a baby aspirin after a workout and thought, this might be what a heart attack feels like! But no tightness in chest and no pain, other than not being able to breath well and the wind pipe feeling like it was constricting. Super slow day today and feeling much better.

I big part of the reason I moved to AZ from Ohio was, of all things, I was allergic to fresh cut grass. I started to go anaphylactic a couple of times there mowing the lawn. It is indeed scary when you suddenly can't breath. There's also a ton of pollen out right now in Tucson. We have these little yellow weeds that are all over. Brittlebush is the nickname for it. This is pretty much similar to the hill behind my house right now.

https://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/shrub/encfar/all.html

I'm glad you're getting back to your normal paces again. That's frustrating to work that hard and have a huge setback.

My allergies were terrible in Oklahoma. The cotton. OMG. It could literally catch in your throat and choke you!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited April 2021
    Just curious I haven't really been watching the news. Are they still saying that fully vaccinated people can be asymptomatic & possibly spread Covid? I've read it both ways that yes you can and no you can't.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited April 2021
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    They discussed A-Z on TWIV in more depth this week. To boil it down, they said the incidence of blood clots was no greater than in the general pop, BUT acknowledged the fact that those few affected were under 55 women was unusual,as we're the specifics of the cases. They said that while it could be coincidental, it requires study. However, they said that you still have a better chance right now of getting a bad case of covid than you do of getting dangerous blood clots from the A-Z vaccine, so they don't think countries who are relying on A-Z should withdraw it and risk prolonging the pandemic.

There was a deep dive discussion on the differences between A-Z and the other major vaccines, and I was not able to follow any of it :blush:

They also mentioned that there's been a lot of "drama" around the A-Z trial and rollout and while they're convinced the A-Z vaccine is a good vaccine, it's a shame A-Z has made such a mess of the whole thing.

The article I read said that the blood clot reaction was similar to a rare reaction one might get with other drugs, specifically heparin, and it is similar to a rare auto immune response. Of course if you are taking one of the drugs that also rarely causes this reaction (like heparin I guess) you would weigh the risks against the benefits of the drug for whatever problem you are treating.
    The problem with the vaccine causing the same reaction is that you are giving it to young healthy people who are not ill yet and may never be - so the risk assessment gets a little more tricky. That's the summary I read about it anyway - I guess we will see what Canada decides on it. I agree though they did make a mess of it - I don't know if the Astra Zeneca vaccine will ever be well accepted here now.

Heparin is a blood thinner. I didn’t realize clots were a potential side effect.

Yes it is given for blood clots - but it does have this same known rare reaction that affects platelet counts (Thrombocytopenia) so treatment with heparin would make the reaction worse. Like anyone who has this rare reaction to the vaccine should not be treated with heparin, is my understanding.

• 33gail33
    edited April 2021
    Does anyone with science knowledge have any ideas as to why one vaccine would trigger this reaction, while similar vaccines created to induce the same immune response wouldn't?

It makes me wonder if it has more to do with the age group targeted by that vaccine, than the specific vaccine itself, and maybe once the other vaccines are used more widely in lower age groups we might run into the same issue with them?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    Does anyone with science knowledge have any ideas as to why one vaccine would trigger this reaction, while similar vaccines created to induce the same immune response wouldn't?

It makes me wonder if it has more to do with the age group targeted by that vaccine, than the specific vaccine itself, and maybe once the other vaccines are used more widely in lower age groups we might run into the same issue with them?

Or something about the standard adjunct (inactive) ingredients in one formulation vs. another, in theory. (There are definitely drugs that one can react to poorly because of their inactive ingredients, due to allergies or sensitivities, including - I believe - some other vaccines.)
  • Psychgrrl
    Just popping in with more good news (NOT!). A “double mutant” strain found in NorCal, originated in India.

https://abc7.com/health/new-double-mutant-covid-variant-identified-in-ca/10491246/
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Just popping in with more good news (NOT!). A “double mutant” strain found in NorCal, originated in India.

https://abc7.com/health/new-double-mutant-covid-variant-identified-in-ca/10491246/

Wow, that traveled fast. It's only been a couple weeks since I first heard about it in India.
  • 33gail33
    Athijade wrote: »
    Our Kroger has taken down all their mask required signs at the doors. The state wide mandate ended Monday and people are taking advantage of it. I will still wear a mask until I have had both shots.

Shot 1 is tomorrow morning so we shall see how it goes

Must be nice - we are in a modified "lockdown" and today they are going to announce a month long stay at home order. :(

(When I say "must be nice' I mean it would be nice to live in a jurisdiction where things getting back to "normal" was actually in sight.)
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member

Your talking about the AZ vaccine right? Age has nothing to do with it because children and teens are getting blood clots now so they had to stop testing on them.
  • 33gail33
    edited April 2021
    Thoin wrote: »

Your talking about the AZ vaccine right? Age has nothing to do with it because children and teens are getting blood clots now so they had to stop testing on them.

Yes the AZ vaccine.

Do you have a link for that? My understanding is that they stopped it as a precautionary measure - but you are saying kids did actually get blood clots?

Age does seem to have something to do with it as all the cases I believe were in people younger than 60.