Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    1.4 million vaccinations in Australia so far, and 11 reported cases of TTS. Younger people are more at risk than older, though older people can develop TTS too.

Canada's rate is a bit higher at 7 cases out of 700,000 vaccines. Two were 50+ and two were 60+, I don't know the ages of the other three.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Out of close to 1.4 million doses of AstraZeneca that have been administered in Australia, 11 people have developed TTS, with one fatality that is currently under investigation by the coroner.

Professor Skerritt said that a number of those who developed the rare syndrome had ‘quite serious and significant underlying health conditions’.

He also noted that people with pre-existing clotting conditions did not appear to be at an increased risk of developing TTS.

from this article: https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/tga-confirms-five-new-cases-of-blood-clots-linked

I am over 50 and I have had first dose of AZ about 4 weeks ago.

In the clinic I work at, we have given over 600 vaccines now with no serious issues at all.

Clinics are booked out weeks in advance.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    5 people this week alone got blood clots from the AZ shots here in Australia. I've always been pro vaccine but now I'm not so sure especially as we have low rates of Covid. So confused.

1.4 million vaccinations in Australia so far, and 11 reported cases of TTS. Younger people are more at risk than older, though older people can develop TTS too.

I am not a statician, I don't know what the odds are, I guess people have to weigh up the risk of clots vs the long term impact of having covid or possibly dying from it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-07/covid-astrazeneca-vaccine-clotting-risks-over-50s-explained/100122730

It's easy for me to say as I had the pfizer vaccine and I am over 50, but if I had to have the az vaccine I very likely would have.
    mockchoc wrote: »
    5 people this week alone got blood clots from the AZ shots here in Australia. I've always been pro vaccine but now I'm not so sure especially as we have low rates of Covid. So confused.

I am not a statician, I don't know what the odds are, I guess people have to weigh up the risk of clots vs the long term impact of having covid or possibly dying from it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-07/covid-astrazeneca-vaccine-clotting-risks-over-50s-explained/100122730

It's easy for me to say as I had the pfizer vaccine and I am over 50, but if I had to have the az vaccine I very likely would have.

Thing is in my region which is North QLD we've this entire time had only one case of Covid ever and it was only from a politician that flew here then put herself in hospital ASAP when she got symptoms so it didn't get spread in the community. We have almost zero risk or at least that is how it has been since Covid was a thing so I wonder if it's worth getting the shot here for me or not. I'd take any of the others just not want the AZ. I have close to zero chance of getting Covid the way it's been so far. Of course not saying it'll stay that way down the track. We are pretty tough here. One case and the boarders close. Everything stops. Masks on.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Tomorrow the wife and I are to get our first Covid-19 Vaccine shot.

12 hours after my first shot I woke up to weird dreaming and shaking but I was warm yet the wife and daughter had no side effects. From my readings today it sounds like in the past I may have had Covid-19. That may be one reason I have been dealing with blood clots in my legs for 4 months and spent Easter weekend in ICU to remove clot fragments from each lung using tPA directly into each lung.

Gale so sorry to hear that. Gosh.... Glad you are ok.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Gale, Its so good to know you are on the mend. I'd wondered how you are. I'd missed your comments, till today that is. Sorry you have been so ill.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Tomorrow the wife and I are to get our first Covid-19 Vaccine shot.

12 hours after my first shot I woke up to weird dreaming and shaking but I was warm yet the wife and daughter had no side effects. From my readings today it sounds like in the past I may have had Covid-19. That may be one reason I have been dealing with blood clots in my legs for 4 months and spent Easter weekend in ICU to remove clot fragments from each lung using tPA directly into each lung.

Gale, I'm truly sorry you've been having such potentially serious difficulties. Hope you're truly on the mend now. <3
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Is this thread closed? I know that three additional postings took place after @The_Enginerd on 5/09, but every time that I try to read them, I get an error message.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Is this thread closed? I know that three additional postings took place after @The_Enginerd on 5/09, but every time that I try to read them, I get an error message.

Seems to be working fine....
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

I think I know the posts you mean (showed up in notifications). I have a suspicion that those specific posts were deleted from the thread, whether at the request of those who posted them, or because of terms of service.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Below is the error message that I get when I click the tittle in the Notifications section. Two messages were from @Godlord1488, and one from @snowflake954. So weird! but glad that is still open because it is the only one that I follow.

Reply Not Found
    The page you were looking for could not be found.