Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,853 Member
    edited September 2021
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Having a copy on line does not help those without computers............

85% of Americans own a smartphone and nearly every U.S. public library offers free access to computers and the Internet.

85% of Americans own a smartphone and nearly every U.S. public library offers free access to computers and the Internet.

Of the three 80's+ individuals in our family, only one has a smart phone. As for library, in our town, the library was by pickup only for most of COVID so certainly their computers were useless to people during those times, and that is if people were even willing to go out into a public space like the library.

That said, all three of those people happen to be fully vaccinated so they did get the information they needed in order to decide to get themselves vaccinated.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited September 2021
    So, you are happy for 15% of your population to be disadvantaged! Their lives are expected to be lesser? Disadvantage is not necessarily the same as being lazy or inadequate, or having a disability, it can can be down to circumstances beyond their control, being in the wrong place at the wrong time leading to low disposable incomes. These people should have access to good information too and not just about vaccines. It is possible some of these people will have someone who will do research for them, but by no means all. Seems like, devil take the hindmost. Similar to the attitude towards the less developed countries and for the record, I don't like the divisiveness we have here either.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Interestingly, the only handout I can recall getting at the public health unit mass vaccination clinic was my "receipt" with the date/time/type/lot number etc sort of info. I don't think there was anything given about side effects unless you got Astra Zeneca. I had no effects whatsoever so I didn't bother to seek out any information online afterwards.

It doesn't seem to have affected compliance here since we're at 83% of population 12+ fully vaccinated.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member

Guess what. Not all of us are American for one. I know many without smart phones especially older people and for one my parents wouldn't even think about using a computer at a library since they never used one in their whole lives. They have phones but would never use the internet etc on it. Just because you can doesn't mean the rest of the world is up to it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »

Guess what. Not all of us are American for one. I know many without smart phones especially older people and for one my parents wouldn't even think about using a computer at a library since they never used one in their whole lives. They have phones but would never use the internet etc on it. Just because you can doesn't mean the rest of the world is up to it.

The branch of this discussion that started the post you replied to . . . was about people in the US not having access to information about the vaccine at the time of the sign-up or vaccination, more or less. Hence the US being the relevant geographic reference. Someone in the UK was advancing the idea that it was better to be in England, because they got the info in a handout. Around 75-80% of USAians signed up for the vax online, and the info was available where they signed up. 85% of USAians have smartphones. Someone with a smartphone could sign up online, get the info online.

The point was about info being available to USAians, countering the odd idea that people here in the US were vaccine hesitant (or something like that) because we didn't get a handout like they did in the UK.

Of course different things are true in different countries.

No problem.. go on.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

OK, but free access to the Internet in public libraries wasn't much help while libraries were closed for in-person services during covid shutdowns. Some libraries have been able lend out hot spot devices, but there's no guarantee that everybody had access. Or that they could afford a device with a user interface to access the Internet if there was a hot spot available to them. Or, if their library was doing in-person services, that the library's hours worked with the their work hours, commuting hours, child-duty hours, etc. I saw something in an advice column recently to the effect that we should always remember "not everybody can." Not everybody can get online.