Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Norovirus is a gastrointestinal virus though (ie D+V) rather than a respiratory virus like Covid or influenza.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    3+ years later, and the emergency declaration officially ends today in the US. Didn't realize it or think much of it until I got this notification on my phone tonight. The mask requirement for medical facilities, one of the few lingering precautions, was dropped several months back.

r2uwddhx4b3f.png
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My state has just switched to monthly updates instead of weekly.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Here in the UK I'm not aware of any updates in case numbers for months. Its almost as if nothing ever happened. There has been a swirl of coughs, colds and other extraneous irritations being put down to more associations and less careful or frequent handwashing.

In conversation with our neighbour she told me she has been for her covid vaccination, so there are some ongoing precautions but nothing that obvious. Some persons, very occasional ones do wear masks, usually the older, more frail in the community but not many of those. One young woman with an older lady sported hers over her mouth and no where near her nose. Why bother? I kept well away from her, she might have been positive and trying to protect her grandmother or whoever.

If I have any reason to think I have covid, I test, last happened at the end of January. My husband fell
    first. I did not make my visit to my mother, in a care-home, nor did we go out. I tested positive a few days later. We ordered our essential shopping too.

I can see I will be back in my "respro" mask for chemical sensitivity again. We had a work person come into our home, I generally keep well away, within seconds of entering the place where he had been working for 15 or so minutes I had every symptom I used to experience from his off gassing of laundry residue, personal care products and whatever else, as people start to fragrance up. Petrochemicals and exhorst fumes are the worst on a hot day even with my car air purifier still in use. I wonder if I will have the same reactions as I experienced before covid, odd looks as if I were totally bonkers and should be locked up. (over the years I have done so very much work on my endocrine and associated elimination systems and was doing really, really well)

Please be aware perfumes and all can be disastrous to others, Please, think before you stink, we are not freaks there are more of us who are susceptible to the millions of environmental toxins some after having had covid.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,787 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I too am very sensitive to "smell" and it was pretty awful when I first went back into the office. Almost like I was hyper sensitive. I realized that some of it is laundry detergent and the soap people use vs perfume at one point. I even really alienated a co worker who sat nearby because I asked her to quit wearing so much perfume. In hindsight I think it was just her shower soap or something.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I too am very sensitive to "smell" and it was pretty awful when I first went back into the office. Almost like I was hyper sensitive. I realized that some of it is laundry detergent and the soap people use vs perfume at one point. I even really alienated a co worker who sat nearby because I asked her to quit wearing so much perfume. In hindsight I think it was just her shower soap or something.

I used to have a coworker who wore gawd-awful deodorant. Another coworker was bothered by it as well. We asked our manager to speak to him. That vastly improved this awkward situation.

Another advantage to working remotely - not having to smell your coworkers :lol:
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've been sensitive to smells for over 30 years and always choose odorless deodorant. Have just begun noticing the resurgence in other people's fragrances.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @kshama2001 Was it this? nprbwmu0vf21.png
    :DNothing brightens up the room like their absence. Poor thing, if you've ever had to tell someone they have the essence of eau de skunk.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @kshama2001 Was it this? nprbwmu0vf21.png
    :DNothing brightens up the room like their absence. Poor thing, if you've ever had to tell someone they have the essence of eau de skunk.

I don't know the brand of deodorant. It smelled like baby powder, but overpoweringly strong.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    In Massachusetts, the mask mandate has ended and it is now personal choice. DD and I were discussing this and she was appreciating how the pandemic has somewhat normalized mask use. I agree with her that prior to COVID many of us would hesitate to don a mask in a questionable situation due to the "what does it mean?". BC (before COVID), I typically only saw masks on certain foreign travelers, or Lahey Hospital patients that were taking a break by escaping to the nearby mall. I agree with my daughter that I now will comfortably decide what I need/prefer with less worry about stigma.

I'm in Massachusetts too. I still see a few people in supermarkets wearing masks and assume they or their loved ones are immunocompromised or have other medical reasons to wear a mask. I'd like to see no stigma for individual mask use moving forward.

I'm a veteran and get most of my health care with the VA. Am curious to see if they have dropped the mask mandate, which was still in place on May 10. I can't find any info on that online. I did find this, which does not cover masking:

https://news.va.gov/119668/what-end-public-health-emergency-means-va/
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    In Massachusetts, the mask mandate has ended and it is now personal choice. DD and I were discussing this and she was appreciating how the pandemic has somewhat normalized mask use. I agree with her that prior to COVID many of us would hesitate to don a mask in a questionable situation due to the "what does it mean?". BC (before COVID), I typically only saw masks on certain foreign travelers, or Lahey Hospital patients that were taking a break by escaping to the nearby mall. I agree with my daughter that I now will comfortably decide what I need/prefer with less worry about stigma.

I'm in Massachusetts too. I still see a few people in supermarkets wearing masks and assume they or their loved ones are immunocompromised or have other medical reasons to wear a mask. I'd like to see no stigma for individual mask use moving forward.

I'm a veteran and get most of my health care with the VA. Am curious to see if they have dropped the mask mandate, which was still in place on May 10. I can't find any info on that online. I did find this, which does not cover masking:

Odd that it is not defined. Comments below the article were interesting when searching on the word "mask". Seemed to imply that individuals are still encountering a mask requirement.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Odd that it is not defined. Comments below the article were interesting when searching on the word "mask". Seemed to imply that individuals are still encountering a mask requirement.

Oh! I didn't see that there were comments. Yes, looks like people are still required to mask.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Please be aware perfumes and all can be disastrous to others, Please, think before you stink, we are not freaks there are more of us who are susceptible to the millions of environmental toxins some after having had covid.

Amen! I've had bad reactions to some perfumes but not as serious as a couple people I know who get red, swollen, weeping eyes.

As if regular laundry soap and fabric softener didn't smell enough as it is, they now have "scent boosters" that you can add to your wash to make it smell "fresher". No, it doesn't smell "fresh", it just smells like cheap *kitten* perfume.

As for masking, I think it's only a requirement in hospital settings here now. I go to meetings in a room at the behavioural sciences building of a hospital (so no medical procedures performed) and still need to wear a mask to enter the building. Once we're in the meeting room we can remove them though. I haven't been to our acute care facility for a while but I assume masks are mandatory there also. You wear one in and then they give you a new one at the entry checkpoint.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Because of my broken finger and subsequent surgery, I've been in medical settings several times over the past month. A month ago I needed a mask, 2 weeks later the sign said they were optional. Not a single person was wearing one. I do still see people in the grocery wearing masks, but they are generally older.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I figured with the latest booster/vaccine coming out, I should wake everyone up and see if there is anything to discuss!!

I got my flu shot.

Thinking about the new RSV vaccine

and uncertain as to whether I want a 5th COVID shot.

That's me. :)