I want a dog....

Replies

• elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    We adopted a puppy this year. Was labeled a "Lab mix" - well she may be some lab, but she's certainly a lot of mix. But sweetest dog ever. Even with all the puppy craziness it is worth it. (and this is coming from a self-proclaimed cat person!) :)
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    I want a dog, too! Unfortunately, we have cats already, and they have a hard enough time getting a long with each other as it is, so bringing a dog into the house wouldn't go down so well!

On another note though, we always had a family dog when I was growing up, and one thing you HAD to do (someone in the family) was walk the dog. You couldn't NOT walk the dog, because that's what dogs need - walks. So getting a dog would be a great motivational tool!
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    I recommend fostering from a local shelter first. It will give you the opportunity to see if your family is suited for a dog and if you can be responsible pet owners (cleaning the yard, walking, feeding, playing, etc). Often times the shelter has already housebroken animals so that part isn't so difficult. The only downfall of fostering is getting attached and having to let go but if you get especially attached to one, you adopt it!

I started off fostering my dogs, and got attached....as soon as I was told a family was interested in meeting them and considering adopting them, I panicked. They are the dogs I adopted lol. So happy that I did though :)

So yes, fostering is an option, but be careful because your kids especially may get too attached, and you might not be able to adopt them. The organization I fostered for didn't allow foster parents to adopt their foster dogs, but through a loophole, I had my parents adopt them for me, but I take care of them and took them with me when I moved out. so adopting your foster animals is not always an option.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member

Good luck! BTW - pit bulls are amazing dogs and there is a high need for fostering / adoption with this breed due to their unwarranted bad reputation. Make sure the shelter knows you have kids and what ages they are so they can match you with one that is kid friendly.

Yeah...I might have to pass on the Pit Bull...got attacked by one last month (and a set of rabies shots to go with it), kind of gun shy with that breed right now :noway: :laugh:

I just adopted another dog from the pound and first let me say that she is AMAZING, and I love her with all my heart, she is approx. 1yr old lab, Florida cur mix, she does so good with my 14mo old. Oakley (her name) was attacked by the neighbors pit bull 3 weeks ago, FOR NO REASON. This pit bull has just in the last 4-5 months started hating other dogs and we were out for a jog and she escaped from the fence ( they recently put up for her) and she almost killed my dog. We were at the vets office for over 4 hours while my little Oakley got shaved and stitched from the tip of her front legs all the way up to the tip of her ear, almost lost her eye. She is doing much better now but I would never, ever recommend a pit bull to anyone. BTW, we have known this pit bull since she was a puppy, and loved her. She just turned mean 4-5 months ago, no one knows why.

BTW again, this is our 4th pound puppy adoption, and they really are the best dogs you can find. Go to your local pound, pick out some dogs that you like, take them outside and play with them, get to know them a little. I bet you will find a best friend.
  • depuydt2011
    depuydt2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Oh, she's also terrified of rain. Like, even if it's just a little sprinkle and I don't even realize it's raining, she hides under the couch. SMH

Mine was bit by a squirrel about 2 months ago and now he's afriad of any animals smaller than him. He still thinks he can control the big ones though.
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    I couldn't agree more about adopting!

After losing our beloved Jack Russell terrier in June (after nearly 16 years with him) we decided to adopt about a month ago. The dog we chose was a puppy who was found in a ditch in the side of the road with all of his brothers and sisters in Alabama. His name is Oliver (Ollie) and he is an absolute delight. Four days later, the rescue called and said of the whole litter, there was just one brother left, and asked if we'd like to adopt him as well.

We did it. Tobias (Toby) was added to the family, along with his biological brother!

They have brought such joy into our lives! We still have some work to do with the chewing (mostly on our fingers!) but the house-training is going very well, and they are so playful and adorable! Ollie had a little separation anxiety at the beginning (not that we left him alone much - I'm talking going out to get the mail and he would cry and cry) but now that he has his brother, he's just fine!

The thing is, you can almost see it in them that they know that they were rescued. They just seem so appreciative of things. I know that sounds weird. Our Simon (the Jack Russell) was not a rescue and while he was the greatest dog, very smart and loving, he also had a way of being stubborn and wanting things his way. These new dogs don't seem to have that, because they had a rough start in life and now have been given a second chance!

Good luck!!!!

Oliver
    Ollie.jpg

Tobias
    Toby.jpg

OllieandToby.jpg
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    ^^^^ Holy cuteness!!!!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    rotweiller for sure
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    You'll get a host of people advocating whatever their favourite breed is ("get a Rottweiler", "get a greyhound", "get a labrador"...) but only you know your family situation.

I would recommend you really think carefully about what type of dog best fits into your family. Research your breeds well. Do you want an active dog you can go running with? Do you want a couch potato? Do you want a dog that's intelligent, for stuff like agility? Do you want a relatively undemanding dog? Does size matter in terms of your accommodation / car? Do you have enough money for decent food, insurance/vets fees, microchipping, vaccinations? Do you have enough time for it to have decent daily walks? Do you have time to devote to train it? Some dogs are better with kids than others.

Once that's all ok, I agree with everyone who said "adopt, don't shop".

Don't buy from pet shops who get most of their puppies from puppy mills and you would be supporting an awful trade. Google CARIAD if you want to know more about that.

We got a border collie cross from a rescue. I knew we needed a dog who can keep up with us. She's great. :smile:

whecme.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    rotweiller for sure
    OMG. This OP should NOT get a rotweiller! You need to be an experienced dog person for one of those things.

My friend has one. She's a dog trainer. He's crazy! And huge! VERY sweet, but thinks he's 5 pounds, not 120.
  • rml_16
    @Marnie -- Are they chihuahua? Or at least part? I had a chi named Oliver.
  • rml_16
    Oh, she's also terrified of rain. Like, even if it's just a little sprinkle and I don't even realize it's raining, she hides under the couch. SMH

Mine was bit by a squirrel about 2 months ago and now he's afriad of any animals smaller than him. He still thinks he can control the big ones though.
    lol

Lily takes on the big ones and they run from her.

A few years ago, I was off on a weekday and I stepped outside and saw my neighbor's pit standing outside the wrong house. She was still a puppy, but a huge one. I didn't know if the neighbor was home, so I herded her into my house so she'd be safe while I went to knock on his door. Lily chased the pit all over my living room and then out into the yard and around in circles when my neighbor came to get her.

My other neighbor has a huge full-grown pit and when they visit, he tries to hide behind me on the couch because Lily is barking at him.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Great answers from everyone!
    I'm another vote for adopting but also want to stress the importance of teaching your kid(s) how to act around the dog as well. So many people spend all their time worrying about how to get the dog to behave properly and forget that it's all new for the children too and they need just as much guidance.

Absolutely!!!!

I can't believe what I see every day. Parents allowing their kids to just toddle up to unknown dogs pulling their ears etc. Good job mine is so placid and quite laid back. :huh:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    There are a lot of people who don't ask enough of these types of questions when considering getting a pet. The fact that you are taking the time to think about it and do some research means you're most likely ready!
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Yes, they'll do all that and more and you will love LOVE LOVE them - adopt, hit your local humane society or a shelter - there are a TON of dogs who need homes and many will be past the puppy stage - We have three (one little guy and two big labs) and I can't imagine our lives without them!
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    @Marnie -- Are they chihuahua? Or at least part? I had a chi named Oliver.

Yes! We think they are Chihuahua Jack Russell mixes, but that's just our best guess!

Chihuahuas named Oliver for the win! :-)
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Adopt! There are tons of dogs who need homes.
    Loyal to the end, friendly and the best friend anyone could have.

^^^^This!
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 265 Member
    I recommend fostering from a local shelter first. It will give you the opportunity to see if your family is suited for a dog and if you can be responsible pet owners (cleaning the yard, walking, feeding, playing, etc). Often times the shelter has already housebroken animals so that part isn't so difficult. The only downfall of fostering is getting attached and having to let go but if you get especially attached to one, you adopt it!

The best way to keep a dog from chewing / eating stuff they shouldn't is to make sure they are getting enough play time and providing appropriate toys for them to chew on and play with. Go to your local pet store and check out the wide selection. In addition, I recommend an obedience class. Teaching them that you are the "alpha" of the pack is very important.

Good luck! BTW - pit bulls are amazing dogs and there is a high need for fostering / adoption with this breed due to their unwarranted bad reputation. Make sure the shelter knows you have kids and what ages they are so they can match you with one that is kid friendly.

^This! We rescued a pit bull and he is the biggest sweet heart. He gets along so well with my two Boston Terriers and loves kids. He is a great running partner too!
  • flannery2012
    flannery2012 Posts: 58 Member
    My husband came home last night talking about the dog he wants...a dachsund/yorkie mix. When I asked why, it was only because of the name.

A dorkie :laugh:
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Adopt! There are tons of dogs who need homes.
    Loyal to the end, friendly and the best friend anyone could have.

Adopt! Skip the puppy stage if you are concerned about housetraining, chewing, etc... that is part of a puppy that you have to accept.

Adopt! My current dog and the 2 before him have been adoptions. We have skipped the puppy stage each time and been lucky enough that they all have been house broken. Go to a shelter or rescue group and there will be one that will pick you. :)