Calorie Counter

Message Boards Chit-Chat
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Guys/Girls: What is your real opinion on..

1166167169171172176

Replies

  • eatpolerepeateatpolerepeat Member Posts: 20,783 Member Member Posts: 20,783 Member
    Guys/Girls: WIYO on exotic/unusual/alternative pet companions? Is there a non-human companion you would never consider having?

    Example: Once upon a time, I had 10 different species of tarantula that I was taking care of. Some you could handle and interact with, but several were "look don't handle" species due to aggression/venom. I loved having each of them in my home, taking care of them and watching them interact with their food (insects) and the terrarium environments we created for them.

    Yet.. I had several friends who were made EXTREMELY uneasy by the fact that I had 10 spiders in my home.

    7wviifv4wo61.gif
  • KosmosKittenKosmosKitten Member Posts: 8,197 Member Member Posts: 8,197 Member
    Guys/Girls: WIYO on exotic/unusual/alternative pet companions? Is there a non-human companion you would never consider having?

    Example: Once upon a time, I had 10 different species of tarantula that I was taking care of. Some you could handle and interact with, but several were "look don't handle" species due to aggression/venom. I loved having each of them in my home, taking care of them and watching them interact with their food (insects) and the terrarium environments we created for them.

    Yet.. I had several friends who were made EXTREMELY uneasy by the fact that I had 10 spiders in my home.

    7wviifv4wo61.gif

    LMAO. Hey now, I don't chase after people with my tarantula buddies. I'm not that cruel. ;)
  • ythannahythannah Member Posts: 3,349 Member Member Posts: 3,349 Member
    Guys/Girls: WIYO on exotic/unusual/alternative pet companions? Is there a non-human companion you would never consider having?

    None that I can think of, provided the pet can be cared for properly. And I don't mean stuck in some sort of container that is just adequate and fed regularly, it has to have a good quality of life. I'm not keen on wild animals as pets unless there is some reason they can't survive in their natural state, or they were specifically bred for domestic purposes.

    Canada has strict laws on exotic animals (at least on importation) so there are limitations on what you can have as a pet here.

    I'd have more difficulty with a cat or a bird as a pet since I'm very allergic.
  • KosmosKittenKosmosKitten Member Posts: 8,197 Member Member Posts: 8,197 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    Guys/Girls: WIYO on exotic/unusual/alternative pet companions? Is there a non-human companion you would never consider having?

    None that I can think of, provided the pet can be cared for properly. And I don't mean stuck in some sort of container that is just adequate and fed regularly, it has to have a good quality of life. I'm not keen on wild animals as pets unless there is some reason they can't survive in their natural state, or they were specifically bred for domestic purposes.

    Canada has strict laws on exotic animals (at least on importation) so there are limitations on what you can have as a pet here.

    I'd have more difficulty with a cat or a bird as a pet since I'm very allergic.

    You're allergic to birds? Interesting! I had no idea a person could be allergic to them. :o
  • MotorsheenMotorsheen Member Posts: 18,395 Member Member Posts: 18,395 Member
    The only animals I want in my house are stuffed in a taco shell.

    Just Clowning.








    .... sometimes I don't need a taco shell
  • slimgirljo15slimgirljo15 Member Posts: 248,558 Member Member Posts: 248,558 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    The only animals I want in my house are stuffed in a taco shell.

    Just Clowning.








    .... sometimes I don't need a taco shell

    bqaldm4gswl3.gif
  • ythannahythannah Member Posts: 3,349 Member Member Posts: 3,349 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    Guys/Girls: WIYO on exotic/unusual/alternative pet companions? Is there a non-human companion you would never consider having?

    None that I can think of, provided the pet can be cared for properly. And I don't mean stuck in some sort of container that is just adequate and fed regularly, it has to have a good quality of life. I'm not keen on wild animals as pets unless there is some reason they can't survive in their natural state, or they were specifically bred for domestic purposes.

    Canada has strict laws on exotic animals (at least on importation) so there are limitations on what you can have as a pet here.

    I'd have more difficulty with a cat or a bird as a pet since I'm very allergic.

    You're allergic to birds? Interesting! I had no idea a person could be allergic to them. :o

    Technically I'm allergic to feathers, which includes things filled with down. So I wouldn't be allergic to a bald bird.
  • hawkeye45_hawkeye45_ Member Posts: 705 Member Member Posts: 705 Member
    *looks around with my rats*
  • ythannahythannah Member Posts: 3,349 Member Member Posts: 3,349 Member
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    *looks around with my rats*

    I had pet rats when I was a child. The main issue with small rodent pets is their short lifespan. :'(
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Member Posts: 1,378 Member Member Posts: 1,378 Member
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    CacoEther wrote: »
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    CacoEther wrote: »
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    guys/girls

    if you were offered a big amount of money, like set-for-life kinda thing, to pick up and move away with just your immediate family and leave everyone and everything u know behind, would u do it? u wouldnt be able to tell anyone what youre doing or where u goin, just disappear

    Do I have to bring my immediate family?

    😂

    Not to brag, but I have an emergency Kit Kat fund in my savings account.

    Marry me

    I'd love to have a three-income house.

    We're working on having two incomes and letting me write my novel while I keep house. That works very nicely. One argument for triads. (grin)

    I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier! I have a friend with a polycule and birthdays/Christmases are apparently amazing.
    Ours aren't THAT exciting. Girlfriend's parents are dead/dead to her (she says if her mom moves to the Midwest, she'll move to California) and so Boyfriend and I go to my mom's house on Christmas Eve, and we do our presents among the three of us on Christmas morning and then he and I go to see his parents, because Girlfriend can't handle the fact that his mom talks like it was an Olympic sport and she was on the team. (wry grin) Plenty of time to spend the afternoon with new books and Christmas candy and downloading new music/video games before having pizza for dinner.
  • hawkeye45_hawkeye45_ Member Posts: 705 Member Member Posts: 705 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    *looks around with my rats*

    I had pet rats when I was a child. The main issue with small rodent pets is their short lifespan. :'(

    Yeah, the rapid heartbreak is really taking a toll on me. There are days in which I consider never having any more, and then there are days when Pickle falls asleep in my arms and I wouldn't want to live without that trust.
  • hawkeye45_hawkeye45_ Member Posts: 705 Member Member Posts: 705 Member
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    CacoEther wrote: »
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    CacoEther wrote: »
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    guys/girls

    if you were offered a big amount of money, like set-for-life kinda thing, to pick up and move away with just your immediate family and leave everyone and everything u know behind, would u do it? u wouldnt be able to tell anyone what youre doing or where u goin, just disappear

    Do I have to bring my immediate family?

    😂

    Not to brag, but I have an emergency Kit Kat fund in my savings account.

    Marry me

    I'd love to have a three-income house.

    We're working on having two incomes and letting me write my novel while I keep house. That works very nicely. One argument for triads. (grin)

    I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier! I have a friend with a polycule and birthdays/Christmases are apparently amazing.
    Ours aren't THAT exciting. Girlfriend's parents are dead/dead to her (she says if her mom moves to the Midwest, she'll move to California) and so Boyfriend and I go to my mom's house on Christmas Eve, and we do our presents among the three of us on Christmas morning and then he and I go to see his parents, because Girlfriend can't handle the fact that his mom talks like it was an Olympic sport and she was on the team. (wry grin) Plenty of time to spend the afternoon with new books and Christmas candy and downloading new music/video games before having pizza for dinner.

    Christmas Pizza. I frakkin' love it.
  • KosmosKittenKosmosKitten Member Posts: 8,197 Member Member Posts: 8,197 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    The only animals I want in my house are stuffed in a taco shell.

    Just Clowning.








    .... sometimes I don't need a taco shell

    bqaldm4gswl3.gif

    Le yoink. :)
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Member Posts: 1,378 Member Member Posts: 1,378 Member
    We're owned by two cats, and contemplate a third since the second one, Nyx, is younger and wants to play rough, and Hana does not. Hana is often found growling and muttering to herself under a chair or back in a corner. But it means there are certain pets we don't get, either because the cat will think it's food or the dog will think they're food. (Certain breeds are known to tend to be cat-killers.)

    In due course, we're thinking about a Rottie. Raised from a pup around the cats, so he knows they're friends. But that's for when I lose the rest of the weight and get my foot surgeries so I can walk with the dog.
  • hawkeye45_hawkeye45_ Member Posts: 705 Member Member Posts: 705 Member
    Girls: What do you think of self-deprecating humor?
  • YoshiboobsYoshiboobs Member Posts: 450 Member Member Posts: 450 Member
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    Girls: What do you think of self-deprecating humor?

    That’s my humor so I’m good with it.
  • MotorsheenMotorsheen Member Posts: 18,395 Member Member Posts: 18,395 Member
    CacoEther wrote: »
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    Girls: What do you think of self-deprecating humor?

    There’s a balance. If you’re too self-deprecating she might think you’re trying to get rid of her. Not enough and she’s gonna try to get rid of you 😏

    balance?

    dis me....

    f61daecbd7e0da5439f8a464330a433a.gif
  • CacoEtherCacoEther Member Posts: 1,315 Member Member Posts: 1,315 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    CacoEther wrote: »
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    Girls: What do you think of self-deprecating humor?

    There’s a balance. If you’re too self-deprecating she might think you’re trying to get rid of her. Not enough and she’s gonna try to get rid of you 😏

    balance?

    dis me....

    f61daecbd7e0da5439f8a464330a433a.gif

    I see you’re tryna get rid of me

    Edit: this is actually a perfect amount
    edited October 18
  • KosmosKittenKosmosKitten Member Posts: 8,197 Member Member Posts: 8,197 Member
    hawkeye45_ wrote: »
    Girls: What do you think of self-deprecating humor?

    Definitely a balance. I've known a person or two who utilized it far more than I did and not only did I find it annoying after a time, but needy and attention seeking (it became obvious they were after praise to stroke their ego). A little bit here and there is fine, though.
Sign In or Register to comment.