Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Covid-19....... are you eating out less because of it?

15678911»

Replies

• amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Posts: 10,021Member Member Posts: 10,021Member Member
    Here it's always March 21st.
  • Bari_ToneBari_Tone Posts: 40Member Member Posts: 40Member Member
    I know my attitude about the coronavirus has changed dramatically in the past week. Now that the dining areas are all closed and it is carry-out only, the people working in the restaurants are very grateful for the business.
  • itzcathitzcath Posts: 83Member Member Posts: 83Member Member
    I am in Canada and the entire city I live in is in pandemic status. Pretty much all non essential businesses are shut down. Even grocer's are now limiting how many people in the stores at the same time. I am working remotely from home but we work in medical equipment sales so our reps are delivering to people's homes with no contact (just dropping off on their doorstep).

Am I going out or ordering out if they deliver.. That's a Negative.
  • ataleforthetimebeingataleforthetimebeing Posts: 83Member Member Posts: 83Member Member
    I love to cook, and I cook daily. There is something very therapeutic about cooking and I grew up in a household where dinner parties were the norm and my mom loved cooking. That's why I don't eat out a lot except for may be trying a new restaurant from time to time.
  • r3d_butt3rfly_r3d_butt3rfly_ Posts: 2,160Member Member Posts: 2,160Member Member
    I rarely eat out and now that dine in restaurants are limited to only takeout, I haven't gone out of my way to order anything. I cook at home every day so it's not much of a difference than what I normally do.
  • neugebauer52neugebauer52 Posts: 1,115Member Member Posts: 1,115Member Member
    We have a pique - nique on the garden bench once in a while...
  • vggbvggb Posts: 117Member Member Posts: 117Member Member
    We rarely eat out so this isn't much of a change. The thought that I can't eat out just makes me want to :D
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Posts: 3,137Member Member Posts: 3,137Member Member
    We order food at the local restaurant two or three times a week. Usually one lunch and two dinners.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 21,633Member Member Posts: 21,633Member Member
    I love to cook, and I cook daily. There is something very therapeutic about cooking and I grew up in a household where dinner parties were the norm and my mom loved cooking. That's why I don't eat out a lot except for may be trying a new restaurant from time to time.

Yes, I love to cook too. It's been nice seeing lots of people in my Facebook feed starting to cook.

Alas, many aspiring bakers are stymied by flour and yeast shortages. The BJs near me did have yeast yesterday...in 2 one pound packages. That's good for a LOT of baking!
  • xena80sxena80s Posts: 17Member Member Posts: 17Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Thoughts? Why yes or why not?

Myself...... I dont remember last time I ate out, I just dont like eating out and not knowing who is prepping my food or who puts what into my food, and I dont even want to know about if they follow proper personal hygiene. so for me covid or not, I dont and wont be eating out.

I no longer eat out for the reasons you mentioned. I started before the restrictions were in place.
    Eating out contributed towards negative changes in my health.

• eminatereminater Posts: 1,939Member Member Posts: 1,939Member Member
    xena80s wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Thoughts? Why yes or why not?

Myself...... I dont remember last time I ate out, I just dont like eating out and not knowing who is prepping my food or who puts what into my food, and I dont even want to know about if they follow proper personal hygiene. so for me covid or not, I dont and wont be eating out.

I no longer eat out for the reasons you mentioned. I started before the restrictions were in place.
    Eating out contributed towards negative changes in my health.

I don't like eating out for similar reasons. Restaurants tend to use more of things like oil and salt - that I wouldn't use in my home cooking.

I do, however, love to eat out from time to time - up to once a week - for the ambience, conversations, and wine! But with the current day 20 of lockdown here - this has come to an end. I think this is beneficial on physical health for me, but not necessarily on mental health.

I also hear what some people are saying about getting take-aways to support local businesses who are struggling at this time. So there is one place very near me and I have decided to start ordering once or twice a week for that purpose.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 513Member Member Posts: 513Member Member
    I like to cook and we have a lot of food restrictions/intolerances/allergies between the three of us. Plus two of the three of us are extreme introverts, and going out means leaving the house and so, most days, nah, not with how good I cook at home.

We had been going out on Sunday nights, but the restaurants are closed to dine in, and me not having to plate and wash dishes was part of the allure of that, and as the cook of the house, I miss my night off.

• cwolfman13cwolfman13 Posts: 37,849Member Member Posts: 37,849Member Member
    In general we don't eat out a lot, but we are picking one of the five local restaurants in my village to get take out from once or twice per week. They are all locally family owned and we want to help keep them afloat. Since this is a small community, we know most of the family owners at least as acquaintances.
  • COGypsyCOGypsy Posts: 621Member Member Posts: 621Member Member
    I'm eating out slightly less than I was before. Mostly because now I have to go out and get it instead of being out and picking something up. I'm trying to avoid the GrubHub and DoorDash thing and order directly from the restaurants so that my local businesses keep more of my money. Plus you can get drinks to go with direct ordering that the delivery companies won't take liability for! :D
  • bmeadows380bmeadows380 Posts: 1,931Member Member Posts: 1,931Member Member
    I am eating out less than before, but that's just because I'm staying at home and working from home. Usually, when I'm in the office, I'll find myself zipping in somewhere for a quick snack on the way home, or I"ll decide I don't want the lunch I brought and will walk down to someplace nearby.

It's been very good for my wallet, that's for sure!

But when I have a chance, I do try to support places that are still serving because I'm grateful that they are at least keeping their employees working instead of laying them off.

Which reminds me: I haven't ordered from the Mexican restaurant uptown in a while......
  • youngmomtazyoungmomtaz Posts: 1,008Member Member Posts: 1,008Member Member
    We don’t eat out. Too expensive for a fam of five. We occasionally have a nice date night at a nice restaurant. Maybe once every 3-4months. We also never order in. But... we have ordered Chinese food this week to support our local place. It is the only restaurant we have. And we plan on ordering wings for five from a bar a couple towns away in the next two weeks.

Gotta keep these little guys running v