Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Covid-19....... are you eating out less because of it?

Replies

• redversustheblueredversustheblue Posts: 1,216Member Member Posts: 1,216Member Member
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Well, I am planning on getting Chipotle for dinner tonight. I live in NM where there haven't been any confirmed cases yet, so I haven't changed much of my routine. But I do usually pick it up and eat at home, I probably would avoid sitting in an overly crowded, small restaurant right now.

There are now three confirmed cases as of this morning. Two in Socorro County and one in Santa Fe County. All three are in self-quarantine.

Yep, spoke too soon. About an hour after I posted this, the news went around the office that we had 3 confirmed cases. They are from people traveling though and are quarantined, so I'm still not in panic mode yet :s

• PapillonNoirePapillonNoire Posts: 54Member Member Posts: 54Member Member
    Business as usual for me (not that I go out all that much anyway). Last I checked there are 15 cases in my state (PA), but they are all on the east side and I'm on the west. I'm also young and healthy, so not concerned in the least for my own health. Obviously there is always the concern that I could pass it to someone else, so if symptoms did occur I would absolutely self quarantine. But I already took that kind of thing seriously even before all of this; I get my flu vaccine every year and stay home even if it's just a cold.

I do think a lot of the panic is a bit much. If people would just use general common sense we'd be in better shape.
  • nooshi713nooshi713 Posts: 4,012Member Member Posts: 4,012Member Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    My life has changed 0% as a result of Corona virus. I am in the health field and know for a fact that this is blown way out of proportion. I was already a hand washer before. I still go out to eat once every week or so.

Well, since you're in the field and all rested up, would you like to come to Italy? Our doctors and nurses are exhausted. We could sure use the help.

I would love a vacay to Italy. ❤️

It is a big fiasco at our hospital now because everyone wants to be tested.

People, unless you are very ill, STAY HOME if you are sick!
  • nooshi713nooshi713 Posts: 4,012Member Member Posts: 4,012Member Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    My life has changed 0% as a result of Corona virus. I am in the health field and know for a fact that this is blown way out of proportion. I was already a hand washer before. I still go out to eat once every week or so.

You being in the Health industry I am glad you have confirmed that it is blown out of proportion. I'm so tired of hearing about this. I am afraid to look at my 401k and the economy is taking a disastrous hit.

Now might be the time to buy stocks.

I do feel this diseases be serious for an older individual with health issues but for the average person, this virus is like catching the flu.
  • amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Posts: 10,021Member Member Posts: 10,021Member Member
    No, but I rarely eat out anyway. Currently, the virus is not a real concern here. If that changes, I may skip eating out for a while. It's not something I do often, so it won't make a significant difference if I choose to skip it.

I'm more concerned about spreading it than I am about getting it. If it's on a surface and I touch it, I will inevitably touch another surface and potentially increase exposure to it. If I do end up getting it, I'm concerned I would contribute to the issue without even knowing. If we get more cases I will be limiting any outside activity I wouldn't miss. That said, I'm not willing to change my life significantly unless the need calls for it, so it will likely be business as usual minus a few extras.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 21,633Member Member Posts: 21,633Member Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Thoughts? Why yes or why not?

Myself...... I dont remember last time I ate out, I just dont like eating out and not knowing who is prepping my food or who puts what into my food, and I dont even want to know about if they follow proper personal hygiene. so for me covid or not, I dont and wont be eating out.

I don't eat out a lot. Last time was Mom's birthday 4 months ago. I hate noisy restaurants. We do eat out more in the summer when outdoor dining is available. But we cut back on that after installing a patio and doing other work in the back yard.

We did get Chinese food take out last night.
    edited March 11
  • lilawolflilawolf Posts: 1,645Member Member Posts: 1,645Member Member
    Yes, continuing to eat (or drink) out the 1-2 times a week that I usually do. Being much more careful to wash hands more often, and definitely before I touch my food or lick my fingers. Still working though I'm assuming my office will be shut down in the next week or two (tech company in Vancouver WA).

I've brushed up on my stocks, though I usually aim for 90 days of food and dry supplies and 2 weeks of water on hand, it can sometimes be a bit uneven. I have stopped doing martial arts where we crawl all over the floor and each other, and switched to more runs and gym, with a few more lysol wipes for good measure.

Otherwise... Business as usual.
  • psychod787psychod787 Posts: 3,254Member, Premium Member Posts: 3,254Member, Premium Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    My life has not changed at all. I don't really understand what the mass panic is even for. Maybe I'm not very well informed lol, but I feel like this is being sensationalized, for what purpose I do not know.

I agree. I am actually more freaked by scabies that are becoming resistant to Permethrin!
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    My life has not changed at all. I don't really understand what the mass panic is even for. Maybe I'm not very well informed lol, but I feel like this is being sensationalized, for what purpose I do not know.

Your life would have changed if you lived near me, needed toilet paper, and went to Walmart later this afternoon:

wx7j23q67wmw.jpg

Good news! I bought 76 rolls from Costco before the... uhhh... run.... pun intended..
  • mom23mangosmom23mangos Posts: 2,972Member Member Posts: 2,972Member Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    We don't eat out much by default but after reading some of the issues Asian restaurants are having with lost business due to racism I want to make a concerted effort that if we do eat out/get take out it's supporting local businesses that would be hardest hit. We've yet to have cases in my immediate area (SW OH/Northern KY) so there's not visible panic like some places, though precautions are definitely being taken by local organizations; universities cancelling classes, etc.

We haven't changed any habits and in fact I am almost more inclined to eat out for this very reason above. I'm very, very concerned about the economic impact on small businesses. My other concern would be spreading it to my father who is immune compromised with COPD. I don't care for myself as I have a pretty strong immune system, but I would hate to accidentally expose him. I'm trying to talk him out of a cruise in April. We have 14 cases locally currently.
  • shaf238shaf238 Posts: 4,299Member Member Posts: 4,299Member Member
    I don't eat out often but I'm not doing anything differently. I think a lot of the news around covid-19 is being blown way out of proportion.