Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Covid-19....... are you eating out less because of it?

Replies

• paperpuddingpaperpudding Member Posts: 5,821 Member Member Posts: 5,821 Member
    The over reaction is if your in a fist 🤜 🤛 fight in the toilet paper 🧻 isle even tho you got 2 carts 🛒 full!

Australia lol 😂 happened already WTch the Morher y Daughter twinning not letting a lady grab 1 toilet paper 🧻 even tho they had all of it,but that 1!

Lucky there were no broken bones.

Only soft tissue damage ;):p

Seriously some of the toilet paper hoarding in Australia did get really bizarre and went way beyond sensible preparedness to self centred me panicking.

If you are in home isolation you can still get supplies delivered and others can quite safely leave them at your front door. No need for 12 months supply of toilet paper.
    And of course over buying just means not enough for everyone else.

Supermarkets have now issued per customer limits.

Yes you could go from one supermarket to the next and get a packet at each - but the frenzy seems to be settling down.
    When I went this morning, toilet paper shelves were not fully stocked but there was stock there, along with plenty of tissues and no other shortages I could tell, apart from hand sanitiser.

Re OP question - no, I am not eating out less.
    Where I live and the type of places I eat out at does not mean a greater risk at this point.

• LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 883 Member Member Posts: 883 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »
    To answer the question in the title: yes, I will be eating out less. More specifically: I won't be eating out at all, since all restaurants in my country are closed (except take-away and delivery) from midnight tonight till April 3rd at least. Only one of several very drastic measures taken here to slow the spread of this virus, hopefully saving us from what is happening in Italy.

@Lietchi what country are you in?

@kshama2001 I'm in Belgium.
  • nighthawk584nighthawk584 Member Posts: 1,941 Member Member Posts: 1,941 Member
    I ate out for the first time since November for my sister's birthday on Thursday. It's like the 4th time I have eaten out in almost a year. I'm not scared of the coronavirus, just have more control of my food preparing it myself.
  • karlondanielkarlondaniel Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    It is very important to have breakfast, if you can't eat that much when you wake up, try having a high calorie shake instead its much much easier to drink that eat and you still get a lot of calories!
  • bpetroskybpetrosky Member Posts: 3,882 Member Member Posts: 3,882 Member
    It is very important to have breakfast, if you can't eat that much when you wake up, try having a high calorie shake instead its much much easier to drink that eat and you still get a lot of calories!

Uhhhh.... Were you trying to respond to a different thread?
  • JRsLateInLifeMomJRsLateInLifeMom Member Posts: 2,247 Member Member Posts: 2,247 Member
    Lol 😂 think some folks are building beds out of toilet paper all gone drive 2 hours to get some for elderly family members.

Not seeing delivery pizza men that are always down my culdasac were the only ones who bought a pizza this month delivery 🚚. Not going out more going in Delivery

• helen_goldthorpehelen_goldthorpe Member Posts: 247 Member Member Posts: 247 Member
    We haven't been eating out much recently for various reasons, but today we had lunch at a local deli and bought some bits and pieces to help a local business. Only a handful of people in there as it's quite small, so within my current risk appetite.
  • Katmary71Katmary71 Member Posts: 3,565 Member Member Posts: 3,565 Member
    My family went out to eat for my Mom's birthday last weekend, the restaurant was full. Not sure we would've gone if it was this weekend.

I went to Smart and Final yesterday, unlike the rest of the grocery stores they still had stuff but things like bulk beans were out. The bagged dried beans were limited to two per person. The store was more crowded than normal but people were still friendly. The store I wanted to go to had lines to the back of the store according to a neighborhood group so I didn't go there, I'm definitely avoiding Costco for now.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 21,911 Member Member Posts: 21,911 Member
    Just an FYI to those who plan to use delivery services that lots of other people had that some idea so until the companies ramp up, there may be delays. My neighbor uses Walmart delivery and has noticed this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/amazon-prime-now-suffers-delays-amid-coronavirus-outbreak.html
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Member Posts: 1,012 Member Member Posts: 1,012 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Business as usual. One confirmed case in Oklahoma. About 100 miles from me.

And yet schools are closed today, a university in Oklahoma City has gone online, major events are getting canceled, and people are losing their minds. It's the craziest overreaction I've ever seen.

These are preventative measures aimed at mitigating risk of infection and overwhelming our health care system...social distancing is the best way to combat this given there is no herd immunity and the health care system is not prepared to handle an overload of sick people all at once.

The flu is something the health care system prepares for...they can with relative accuracy predict how many people will require treatment. There is also a vaccine and herd immunity which lets the flu spread out over an entire season rather than a few weeks. The concern isn't really the sickness itself or mortality...the primary concern is that this spreads incredibly quickly and can overwhelm the health care system.

Not to mention, in many parts of the country the healthcare system is still working on the additional burden of the seasonal flu.
  • RCPVRCPV Member Posts: 487 Member Member Posts: 487 Member
    Nope. Eating out about as much as we ever did. In fact, we went out for breakfast at a local restaurant this morning. It was packed, as it always is on weekends.
  • NorthCascadesNorthCascades Member Posts: 9,787 Member Member Posts: 9,787 Member
    Lol somebody disagrees that we have a flu vaccine. I guess that's just what they want you to think! 😆
  • amandaeveamandaeve Member Posts: 705 Member Member Posts: 705 Member
    I am eating out as much as I can afford. I work in downtown Seattle, and some of the best places are going broke. My favorite one is down to just him and his wife, and he’s trying to keep it going so his staff can have a job to come back to. I’m going there every day, buying the most expensive things. It’s a ghost town here and these family businesses have a tight margin. I know my belly isn’t big enough to keep a kitchen going, but at least I can enjoy it all I can should they loose their lease.
  • LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 883 Member Member Posts: 883 Member
    Can anybody think of anything any of us do in daily life that has a 1% chance of killing us?

I know a lot of people think riding a road bike on roads in traffic is too dangerous and nobody should do it. If it had a 1% chance of death, I would have died 3 times just last year.

Caronavirus is something like 3% fatality rate worldwide. (That's obviously high because we don't know the true denominator.)

So because you have a very small risk of dying, it doesn't matter if the virus spreads so fast hospitals won't be able to cope with those who do get seriously ill and the fatality rate subsequently shoots up?