Anyone suffer from ridiculous bloating?

2»

Replies

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    If it is IBS there is no cure and how to resolve it varies because IBS can be different from person to person. For example some people with IBS experience constipation (IBS-C), others diarrhea (IBS-D), and both can be diagnosed as having "IBS". IBS isn't really a disease, it's a syndrome, made up of a list of symptoms with causes that vary from person to person.

If it's bad enough that it's affecting your life then the only really viable course of action is an elimination diet. Eliminate any and all foods that may be causing your symptoms. If the symptoms go away, slowly add back the foods you eliminated. If you add something back and it reignites your symptoms you know you need to avoid that food. As someone else mentioned, a very common elimination diet to try is the low FODMAP diet. Search for that. Lots of information out there to get you started.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2020
    That is a very common symptom of Celiac disease, and it may be because you are eating gluten.

The test doctors do for Celiac is a blood test, and false negatives are common. I know people who have suffered un-diagnosed for very long periods of time, because of a false negative test.

That being said it could easily be something else too!

I would try FODMAPS. It sucks, but it will show you what is triggering your food babies.

Good luck!

My wife had horrible IBS for years. Turns out (after going gluten free with her for years) that I'm Celiac and she's not. I'm guessing she's gluten sensitive, but not Celiac. She would swell instantly with either Cow Dairy or Gluten, worse with both. I never did swell but had many other symptoms I ignored for years. Now I swell, but only if I drank beer (before I knew I was Celiac).

Obviously I don't drink beer any longer :'( . I've tried the gluten free ones, they just aren't very good TBH. Thank God for Hard Ciders.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited April 2020
    That is a very common symptom of Celiac disease, and it may be because you are eating gluten.

The test doctors do for Celiac is a blood test, and false negatives are common. I know people who have suffered un-diagnosed for very long periods of time, because of a false negative test.

That being said it could easily be something else too!

I would try FODMAPS. It sucks, but it will show you what is triggering your food babies.

Good luck!
    My wife had horrible IBS for years. Turns out (after going gluten free with her for years) that I'm Celiac and she's not. I'm guessing she's gluten sensitive, but not Celiac. She would swell instantly with either Cow Dairy or Gluten, worse with both. I never did swell but had many other symptoms I ignored for years. Now I swell, but only if I drank beer (before I knew I was Celiac).

Obviously I don't drink beer any longer :'( . I've tried the gluten free ones, they just aren't very good TBH. Thank God for Hard Ciders.

ditto. I used to swell up and look 6 months pregnant after eating wheat. I'm able to have smaller amounts now without much issue. (it turned out to also be causing immense immediate fatigue, joint pain, acne). .. and also ditto on the cider (though I was never much of a beer person anyway).