Stocking up on what??

Replies

• indigoblu74
    indigoblu74 Posts: 86 Member
    I'm stock piling lint.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    re: tp stockpiling. There's some interesting research out there about how, at this point, the main reason tp is still short seems to simply be because everyone is using more of it at home.

If a family has people at work and people at school, then for all those hours, the business and the school's tp was used, not the family's.

So now that people are at home, they have to buy enough tp for 40 or so extra weekly hours of possible 'usage,' for every member of the family who used to go out. For families with kids, experts are estimating it can be about 40% more tp usage per week.

So the tp companies that make the giant rolls for restaurants and schools and businesses have lots of stock, but the companies that make tp for homes (which are usually different companies), are running short, because they tend to have a pretty steady level of tp they process and make every month, and now it's gone way up.

So....people may not be as hoard-crazy as it seems. But it still doesn't get us any more tp. :-P

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Per the continuous disagrees, it is working for me. I went to the doctor this week and all of my numbers improved.
    I am just sharing. Much like people do not with my way I definately disagree with a lot of things on this site. I find no pleasure in most of what other people crave.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    shaumom wrote: »
    re: tp stockpiling. There's some interesting research out there about how, at this point, the main reason tp is still short seems to simply be because everyone is using more of it at home.

If a family has people at work and people at school, then for all those hours, the business and the school's tp was used, not the family's.

So now that people are at home, they have to buy enough tp for 40 or so extra weekly hours of possible 'usage,' for every member of the family who used to go out. For families with kids, experts are estimating it can be about 40% more tp usage per week.

So the tp companies that make the giant rolls for restaurants and schools and businesses have lots of stock, but the companies that make tp for homes (which are usually different companies), are running short, because they tend to have a pretty steady level of tp they process and make every month, and now it's gone way up.

So....people may not be as hoard-crazy as it seems. But it still doesn't get us any more tp. :-P

I get that everyone being at home more contributes to greater customer buying - but it certainly isn't the whole picture.

Toilet paper hoarding started well before most people were working from home/not working/ children not at school.

• jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    Not hoarding, however, I have ensured I have enough staple food and other supplies (needed a new shampoo) for 2-4 weeks in the event that I became sick and had to fully isolate to avoid spreading the virus. There are a lot of older folk in my neighborhood which I would hate to risk infecting. Apart from that, it's business as usual.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Disagreeing is not personal.

You seem to be taking it very personally.

I know you weren't speaking to me but you have in the past, about this very issue. (for me)It's not so much the fact that I get disagrees, it happens, not everybody agrees with everybody else, let's face it. BUT it's the fact that very rarely does a poster come back and want to discuss their beliefs/feelings about it and to me that's a chicken-*kitten* thing to do.
    And I don't agree with that many disagrees being an oops push of the wrong button. I've accidentally done that and corrected myself to a different button.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited April 2020
    I'm planting a garden for the first time in years. I love salads, and thought if I'm quarantined, it would be good to have my own spinach and lettuce and a few other fresh vegetables.

Also stocking up on canned food (beans, tomatoes, soup, fruit), I almost never eat canned food because of the sodium, but again, it lasts a long time and makes good emergency food.

Finally, I've stocked up on basics like water, coffee, oatmeal, and toilet paper. I don't need any TP, but bought extra because other people are stripping the shelves.

Tip for people who can't find any TP: go to the stores when they open, even if it's at dawn. Large stores will not say when their trucks arrive because they don't want crowds at those times. However, most of them stock their shelves at night. You're more likely to find TP when the doors open. An hour later, it's gone.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    1) Why is it"ch..clean sh,,t" to express the reason for thier response when others disagree? Flipping the situation, if someone can explain to me why they have certain ideas it gives insight to different perspectives.
    2.) I am not wrong. Just because we do not agree does not make either of us wrong or right
    3.) Example- I may know or feel that it's not the best choice for people to eat packaged cookies, pepperoni pizza and other foods on a weight loss regimen for different science based reasons, somewhere there is also evidence it is ok given the calorie counting and restriction approach. It works and so does basing a dietary plan on all whole foods, plants, or whatever. Bottom line you can justify almost any perspective.
    4.) I have been on and off calorie counting for decades. I've found what really works for me for different health challenges.

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I'm not stocking up on anything. There are plenty of grocery stores around here that have plenty of food.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    I'm not stocking up on anything. There are plenty of grocery stores around here that have plenty of food.

I agree, most stores in my area are fairly well stocked too, the major exception is most all paper products are in very short supply.

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    vaman wrote: »

I agree, most stores in my area are fairly well stocked too, the major exception is most all paper products are in very short supply.

Yes, same here. You can get paper products, but you have to go early. I heard that Costco is very well stocked, but I haven't been there yet since this whole thing started.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2020
    I have always been a bit of a hoarder. I've stocked up on frozen shrimp and fish in case I can't get out and about. And, I have always had huge supplies of paper and plastic product from buying in bulk. I have hundreds of freezer ziplocks and thousands of bags. And, dozens of 32oz spray cleaners. I just bought a case of hand sanitizer which I don't need and it smells faintly of rum due to the fact that a craft distillery here converted to sanitizer from liquor. I have 10 cases of cat food for my muse, the Siamese, and maybe 24 cans of my favorite canned soup. I have 200 Amazon orders in the last 6 months. And, I am sure this is more info than anyone wants to know.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I have always been a bit of a hoarder. I've stocked up on frozen shrimp and fish in case I can't get out and about. And, I have always had huge supplies of paper and plastic product from buying in bulk. I have hundreds of freezer ziplocks and thousands of bags. And, dozens of 32oz spray cleaners. I just bought a case of hand sanitizer which I don't need and it smells faintly of rum due to the fact that a craft distillery here converted to sanitizer from liquor. I have 10 cases of cat food for my muse, the Siamese, and maybe 24 cans of my favorite canned soup. I have 200 Amazon orders in the last 6 months. And, I am sure this is more info than anyone wants to know.

I also like to stock up on non-perishables when there's a good sale on something I'll use. And I've always liked to be prepared in case something happens that would prevent me from getting to the grocery store for a while, like a big snowstorm or having my car in the shop for an extended period. As I'm getting older and am living alone, I'm also considering the possibility of being housebound by a broken leg or ankle (something I've seen happen to two close relatives who took falls on icy patches in winter) -- even a broken arm would make grocery shopping and schlepping the bags home an unpleasant chore, I would imagine.

Anyway, I didn't go to the grocery store for a little over three weeks, from about a week before my state started closing down non-essential businesses until last Sunday. And I was so well "prepared" that I felt like I barely made a dent in canned foods, frozen foods, and other relatively nonperishable stuff (baking supplies, grains, dried beans, etc.).

Even for dairy and eggs I was still in pretty good shape, as I had found some eggs at farm stand the last day I shopped before shut-downs started (the regular grocery stores were already out of eggs at that point), and I had some shelf-stable soy milk and lots of yogurt and some buttermilk, which keep well -- I guess the good bacteria doesn't leave much room for bad bacteria to get a foothold. I had run out of cheddar/jack type cheese for Mexican/SW style dishes. And I was just about out of fresh produce (still had onions and carrots, and a few mandarin oranges from a large bag).

I had never really paid attention to how long a package of toilet paper lasted me. I usually would have two packages, and when I used up one and opened the second, I would buy another package on my next trip (sometimes 4-roll packages, sometimes 9-roll or 12-roll, depending on what was available in the recycled brands I prefer). Since it became such a scare commodity, I actually started keeping a record of the dates on which I finish a roll. So far I'm averaging 5 days a roll, and that means my supply will last me nearly three months.

I can't decide if the lesson is that I was overdoing it in the "preparedness" department, or that I should continue to maintain such deep stocks because it was one less anxiety to have during this time. When I finally went to the grocery store last weekend, it was nerve=wracking to be in such close proximity to so many people, many of them unmasked and walking past me talking. I'm going to look into ordering a ham portion for Easter from one of the vendors at a local farmers market, where they are (only?) doing pickups of pre-orders -- no browsing and touching products you're not going to take home. I may see if I can go four weeks without going inside a grocery store. :smile:
  • wilson10102018
    This is my portico today. A little more than usual.

vlpa8wvc5j2y.jpeg
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited April 2020

Me too but I use a vacuum sealer to preserve food in the freezer.

Just bought some more meat and while policing the freezer found some meat in their from 4-5 yrs ago, while is just FINE than-you FoodSaver. :)

I also have dozens of cans of soup, veggies, fruit, sardines & mackerel on hand. Also just ordered & received 10#@ of popcorn kernals and hummus mix.

Everything that I "hoard" I eat or use. So, eventually, I'll consume it even if it rakes 5 yrs or more.

It helps that I live in a 5bdrm house, w/lots of available storage space.

LOL!!!
  • wilson10102018
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Me too but I use a vacuum sealer to preserve food in the freezer.

Just bought some more meat and while policing the freezer found some meat in their from 4-5 yrs ago, while is just FINE than-you FoodSaver. :)

I also have dozens of cans of soup, veggies, fruit, sardines & mackerel on hand. Also just ordered & received 10#@ of popcorn kernals and hummus mix.

Everything that I "hoard" I eat or use. So, eventually, I'll consume it even if it rakes 5 yrs or more.

It helps that I live in a 5bdrm house, w/lots of available storage space.

LOL!!!

I bought a vacuum sealer from Amazon rated "Amazon's Choice" but it did not work well for me so I gave it to my son. I buy large (meat and fish) and eat what I can fresh and freeze the rest so I'd be interested in which Food Saver you find best. I have a few cases of military MRE's and really love a couple of the entrees. But, with the Covind thing they have doubled and even tripled in price.