Stocking up on what??

167891012»

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Here's someone getting done with a small apartment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS4iHT7WG-Q
  • gearhead426hemi
    Now I believe in helping those that can't help themselves such as the elderly and disabled. We donate hundreds of pounds of fresh fruits and vegetables from our farm to the senior centers and the VA in our town every year. With Covid and all the lockdowns a lot of people have nothing but time on their hands so there is no reason not to grow what they can.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    HUH??? :s

Just get what done??? :*

I didnt know anyone needed excuses for not growing their own vegetables.

If people want to in different circumstances, that's great - but isnt something I need to apologise for not doing. :*

and what has it got to do with shortages of toilet paper, soap etc caused by hoarders type over buying?????
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I've still been seeing aisles low on lots of cleaners and paper products here. I hate having to go to very many stores to find something I need; it's not as safe as it used to be.
    A small example, my sister called all around our town for Swiffer solution last week; there wasn't any to be had. I happened to get brave enough for a Walmart trip(Hadn't been since the beginning of all this)and found her a bottle. Same thing with vinegar that she uses to clean their C-Pap machines. Only stuff she's found was a 16 oz. bottle at the natural food store for 8 bucks. Unreal. :(
    Certain stores and certain aisles are still bare, after all these months. :(
    I know, for myself, I will be picking up a package of paper products or bottle of cleanser when I'm able to find it. Will I buy more than 1 at a time? No. Unless you're talking yogurt. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. People who only consume and rely on others to supply everything for them don't get to complain when the shelves are empty.

This is basically all of us in urban areas, by the way. I work in supply chain and distribution, which helps gets food and essential supplies to everyone across the country, but I deserve empty shelves because I'm not a farmer?

Everyone is always making excuses instead of just getting it done. I have a friend who lives in a 800 square foot apartment in the heart of Denver Colorado and he grows a impressive garden on his balcony and in a small indoor greenhouse. Another friend of mine lives in Montana and only has a typical urban small back yard and his garden is larger than mine. He is vegan and grows 90% of his food. People spend more time making excuses and pointing out what they don't have then making due with what they do have and just get it done.

So the goal is to eliminate farming by having everyone grow 90% of their food in their apartments and also work full time at other jobs?

Why would this be better than having a system that has some people farming full time, some people gardening for their food needs as they choose, and others choosing to purchase food because they're making other contributions to the economy?

Why is this something that I need to get done? Why is it okay to purchase clothing or cleaning supplies or furniture, but not okay to purchase food?

Jane, Jane, Jane ... (shaking head sadly) You mean to say you don't grow your own cotton and flax, rear your own sheep, goats, rabbits, card and spin your own thread, weave your own cloth, cut and sew it into your own clothing, grow, cut, and plane your own wood ...? You probably read books that other people have written and watch movies that other create too. Oh, the horror!

Just don't tell my mom, she thought she raised me right and I'd hate for her to find out the truth.
  • gearhead426hemi
    edited October 2020
    I say we just stop wearing masks and let mother nature sort things out.

• paperpudding

2 months later you add that to a topic not about mask wearing but about stocking up - or over stocking aka hoarding. ???? :s

• gearhead426hemi
    edited October 2020

2 months later you add that to a topic not about mask wearing but about stocking up - or over stocking aka hoarding. ???? :s

Well the stock piling and hoarding is just a natural response to Covid which is where the mask comment comes from. Mass populations out of work with no end in sight. If we could get everyone back to work then the shelves wouldn't be empty and life could start to get back to resemble something close to normal life. It is interesting how when times are normal the people who are prepping or hoarding are made fun or thought to be crazy by the general public. Then when bad things do actually happen the mases are quick to try and hoard for themselves. The irony and hypocrisy of the general population comes out in times of crisis. "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Why do you think stockpiling is related to people being out of work? I think it was mostly a reaction to both a fear that there would be a shortage (combined with the stockpiling causing temporary storages/bare shelves) plus wanting to have enough if one had to quarantine/got sick.

It's also a weird but common reaction to things being out of the ordinary, as shown by people stocking up before a snowstorm or the like.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Here's someone getting done with a small apartment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS4iHT7WG-Q

Very decorative . . . but pointless and contrary to eco friendly goals. Her time would be better spent walking around the block picking up trash.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Ooo, Wilson.

SRr.gif
  • paperpudding

Well the stock piling and hoarding is just a natural response to Covid which is where the mask comment comes from. Mass populations out of work with no end in sight. If we could get everyone back to work then the shelves wouldn't be empty and life could start to get back to resemble something close to normal life. It is interesting how when times are normal the people who are prepping or hoarding are made fun or thought to be crazy by the general public. Then when bad things do actually happen the mases are quick to try and hoard for themselves. The irony and hypocrisy of the general population comes out in times of crisis. "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

am still not seeing connection between the stop wearing masks and let nature take its course nonsense and hoarding.

If everyone does wear masks where advised to and follow recomendations, we can get back to normal life sooner, including people getting back to work.
    as we can see in countries where Covid is now under control.

I agree with Lynn - panic over stocking is a reaction by some people to crisis - and then it becomes self fulfilling prophecy, others over stock because shelves are getting low and vicious circle.

Which would be avoided if nobody over stocked in the first place.

• IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Stocking up on "kick me" signs to put on the backs of selfish people panic buying and further disrupting the already stressed supply chain.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I admit it. I'm a hoarder.