Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Positivity from Coronavirus

Replies

• robertw486robertw486 Posts: 2,115Member, Greeter Member Posts: 2,115Member, Greeter Member
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Since the beginning of March, [email protected] participation has jumped several fold, and more people are joining daily.

In a nutshell, Foldi[email protected] allows you to connect your computer and use some of the power it has to form a virtual "supercomputer". This system is used for complex protein modeling and folding simulations, which are vital for finding cures for a number of diseases. With the jump in participation due to COVID-19, it has been reported that at times there are no work units to process, meaning that so many people are helping that they can't throw problems at it fast enough.

Years ago it was something mostly done by the computer power user or "geeky" crowd that was into building power systems for gaming and such. I was involved years ago, then got away from it as things changed in my life and computers were a lesser priority. But I think I might set up our current system again, and maybe add another from old parts laying around. Many people with modern computers have plenty of power to help.

https://hothardware.com/news/foldinghome-flexes-470-petaflops-compute

https://foldingathome.org/

For a couple bucks of electricity and a little wear on your computer, you can help with complex models and speed finding cures. [email protected] has contributed to research with various cancers, Alzheimer's, Hep C, and Parkinson's. It's an easy way for us to contribute to the scientific community and help with research.

I set up my computer and it's been crunching away for a couple of days. Almost all of the current projects involve COVID-19. People are signing up so fast that it's driven the peak workload to new levels. Below is a clip from a recent news release.

"[email protected] has announced that cumulative compute performance of systems participating in the project has exceeded 1.5 ExaFLOPS, or 1,500,000,000,000,000,000 floating point operations per second. The level of performance currently available from [email protected] participants is by an order of magnitude higher than that of the world’s most powerful supercomputer."

At current levels, regular people have virtually constructed a computer which exceeds the output of the worlds most powerful supercomputer 10 fold. :smile: Humanity, despite it's flaws, can be awesome at times.

If anyone has any questions on [email protected], let me know. It's a simple setup, can work seamlessly in the background, and allows you to limit the amount of computer resources you allocate to it. You can have it running and helping scientific research while you use the computer for other things.

I've also seen that the local kids and parents are working on chalk messages while they are outside. A local parent also set up a virtual Zumba class for the kids so they get both exercise and social interaction from a safe distance.
  • BMcC9BMcC9 Posts: 2,972Member Member Posts: 2,972Member Member
    The Polish gov't is running a Minecraft site to give their mid-teen and older crowd an additional something to do while schools are closed and they are stuck indoors.
  • mockchocmockchoc Posts: 6,257Member Member Posts: 6,257Member Member
    I got a puppy on March 14. I am finding it easier to house train her when I am at home all day. (Still earning my full income from home, which is also nice. Sweatpants all day long!)

I have a home gym which is how I have always worked out so that hasn't changed.

My daughter and I are trying to convince my husband that this would be the perfect time to get a puppy or dog (a rescue.) He's a teacher so he'll be home until August. Plenty of time for training!
    So far, he's not going for it. :|

I vote for ignoring him and just going and getting one. I totally love my little dog. Best thing ever. Snuggles up to me in bed. I'd love another one. Just tell him it's good for everyones sanity.
  • BMcC9BMcC9 Posts: 2,972Member Member Posts: 2,972Member Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I got a puppy on March 14. I am finding it easier to house train her when I am at home all day. (Still earning my full income from home, which is also nice. Sweatpants all day long!)

My daughter and I are trying to convince my husband that this would be the perfect time to get a puppy or dog (a rescue.) He's a teacher so he'll be home until August. Plenty of time for training!

I vote for ignoring him and just going and getting one. I totally love my little dog. Best thing ever. Snuggles up to me in bed. I'd love another one. Just tell him it's good for everyone's sanity.

And there are even studies to back that up you can use as ammunition! (thumbs-up not available in web-site selection)
    BMcC9 wrote: »

I vote for ignoring him and just going and getting one. I totally love my little dog. Best thing ever. Snuggles up to me in bed. I'd love another one. Just tell him it's good for everyone's sanity.

And there are even studies to back that up you can use as ammunition! (thumbs-up not available in web-site selection)

I don't even know how I survived without my little girl before. They are the best thing ever. They are fun and loving and so smart or mine is. Hard to stop spoiling them too.
  • alexmosealexmose Posts: 281Member Member Posts: 281Member Member
    Anybody else enjoying daily protein pancakes for breakfast?? 😂
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Posts: 4,667Member Member Posts: 4,667Member Member

I vote for ignoring him and just going and getting one. I totally love my little dog. Best thing ever. Snuggles up to me in bed. I'd love another one. Just tell him it's good for everyones sanity.

And you can name him----Quarantine!
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Posts: 4,667Member Member Posts: 4,667Member Member
    Here in Italy, Giorgio Armani and other fashion houses will be making masks--you can now go out in style.
  • springlering62springlering62 Posts: 844Member Member Posts: 844Member Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    More people smiling and waving and saying good morning when out walking and whatnot.

Isn’t this the truth?!

Everyone I pass walking or running greets me with a big smile, a wave, and a spoken “hello”, even if they’re wearing earphones. That hasn’t happened before!
  • AliNouveauAliNouveau Posts: 34,733Member Member Posts: 34,733Member Member
    It's so peaceful
    I'm getting lots of time with my boy
    Homeschooling is fun
    I finally got my husband to exercise!!!

That seems pretty unkind to both the husband and the dog who will be left in the care of someone who doesn't want a dog (I'm interpreting "He's a teacher so he'll be home until August" as meaning the poster and her daughter are expecting the husband to take care of the dog -- and house-break it! -- while he's not teaching).

And no, for someone who doesn't want a dog, I doubt being forced to take care of one in the middle of an already stressful situation would be good for their sanity.

ETA "and house-break it"

That seems pretty unkind to both the husband and the dog who will be left in the care of someone who doesn't want a dog (I'm interpreting "He's a teacher so he'll be home until August" as meaning the poster and her daughter are expecting the husband to take care of the dog -- and house-break it! -- while he's not teaching).

And no, for someone who doesn't want a dog, I doubt being forced to take care of one in the middle of an already stressful situation would be good for their sanity.

ETA "and house-break it"

Not the first time you've been like this towards me but whatever... I though the lady that wanted the dog would be caring for it, not forcing anyone else to take care of it. So sorry if I took it wrongly. Have a nice day.
  • midlomel1971midlomel1971 Posts: 1,203Member Member Posts: 1,203Member Member

ETA "and house-break it"

Lady, easy there..... My post was tongue-in-cheek. Of course I would never get a dog if everyone in our house wasn't 100% on board. We lost our dog 2 years ago and he loved that dog, so if I really wanted to get one, it wouldn't take much convincing. Also, things in our household aren't that stressful right now. This time off for him has been very relaxing. Work for me is business as usual. We are lucky. I just like to tease him about getting another dog...especially a cute little purse dog! Anyway, just relax and stop being so uptight!
  • steveko89steveko89 Posts: 1,571Member Member Posts: 1,571Member Member
    - Saving an hour a day commuting
    - Spending more time with my wife and son, safely taking walks in the neighborhood, etc.
    - workout and calorie adherence has been great
    - saving on gas, activities, dining out