What Is Your Biggest Regret?

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I regret my brain

Strangely enough, ice cream has virtually no oxalates in a reasonably sized portion.
  • GettinLean19
    GettinLean19 Posts: 452 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I regret my brain

Strangely enough, ice cream has virtually no oxalates in a reasonably sized portion.

You 😂
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    bojack5 wrote: »
    I think saying you have no regrets is either a semantics thing, meaning you wished you did things differently but dont regret......or a case of you have lived in a bubble your whole life and never did anything outside of your comfort zone or took a chance......or you are flat out lying to look a certain way to compensate for not actually being that way......

Ive always dreaded/hated the question because I can’t ever think of anything I regret. Very possible I’ve lived in a bubble though

...quite possible that you’re one of those people who view your life as a present-tense thing, and realize that who you are now is how you’ve been shaped by experiences, and maybe you know that 1) changing the past is a futile thought and 2) the grass on the other side of the fence is the same color anyway.

I wouldn’t sweat it. To regret something you gotta spend time looking at it. What’s done is done.

Thos who dont examine the past are destined to repeat in the future.
    I think saying you have no regrets is either a semantics thing, meaning you wished you did things differently but dont regret......or a case of you have lived in a bubble your whole life and never did anything outside of your comfort zone or took a chance......or you are flat out lying to look a certain way to compensate for not actually being that way......

Think what you will. In hindsight, could I have made better choices at the time? Absolutely. But, you can't go back and undo things. You can't take back words said, or actions done (or not). So, why dwell on them? Make the best of what happened, including apologizing or making amends if necessary, and move forward.

Wishing you did things differently is pointless, IMO. You have no idea what could have happened had things of unfolded differently. Maybe it would have turned out better. Maybe it would have reoccurred at a point later in life. Or, because of those actions, other negatives happened. Could be not as bad, or significantly worse. We have no way of knowing, so why bother? What if, or could've/would've/should've, thoughts more often than not lead to dwelling on subjects.

That being said, there was a time where I had a regret haunt me for years. It took a long time, and conversations with many people to work through it. In doing so, I realized that regretting and dwelling on things is not healthy. Acknowledge the mistake, learn from them, take corrective measures if possible and move on. This doesn't mean that I don't feel remorse for if I did wrong to others.

I do not believe in the fallacy of the predetermined outcome. But i do not think regret is bad, i look at it as an examination of a wrong decision learned from.

I do not agonize or even worry about decisions i have made in the past.....but i can be completly honest when looking at them and say yes, i made a bad decision there....noted....learned something.....all good. And if asked would i have done it different, yes....but fully ok with not have and learning from it. I consider recognizing this as regret and being self aware of flaws.

Well if we’re going to bring semantics into it, I would argue that regretting something is not the same as examining and learning from something. I would also argue that having no regrets doesn’t mean lacking awareness of one’s past actions.

Finally I would argue that if someone welcomes or is thankful for ‘regrets’, then, by definition, they are not regrets at all.

I’m not an argumentative person though 😏

How one processes regret to reach self awareness & self forgiveness, is the acknowledgement of regret, thereby nullifying your counterpose.

However, regret is an emotion. If one learns from a mistake, and has no emotion about realizing it's a mistake and only views it as a fact, it's not regret.

An example is many times I realize I've done something wrong and will think "Well, that was stupid. Why'd I do that?" and make the correction and move on. Lesson learned, no need for emotions.

Now, lets look at things from a literal perspective. Look at the title of this thread:

"What is your biggest regret"

To me, this is present tense. Meaning, one has active regrets in their mind.

Had it been "What was your biggest regret" would take on a whole different meaning. One could have had regrets in the past, which they had processed and come to terms with.

Hmmm ... S, how would you differentiate regret vs remorse ?
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member

Ive always dreaded/hated the question because I can’t ever think of anything I regret. Very possible I’ve lived in a bubble though

...quite possible that you’re one of those people who view your life as a present-tense thing, and realize that who you are now is how you’ve been shaped by experiences, and maybe you know that 1) changing the past is a futile thought and 2) the grass on the other side of the fence is the same color anyway.

I wouldn’t sweat it. To regret something you gotta spend time looking at it. What’s done is done.

Think what you will. In hindsight, could I have made better choices at the time? Absolutely. But, you can't go back and undo things. You can't take back words said, or actions done (or not). So, why dwell on them? Make the best of what happened, including apologizing or making amends if necessary, and move forward.

Wishing you did things differently is pointless, IMO. You have no idea what could have happened had things of unfolded differently. Maybe it would have turned out better. Maybe it would have reoccurred at a point later in life. Or, because of those actions, other negatives happened. Could be not as bad, or significantly worse. We have no way of knowing, so why bother? What if, or could've/would've/should've, thoughts more often than not lead to dwelling on subjects.

That being said, there was a time where I had a regret haunt me for years. It took a long time, and conversations with many people to work through it. In doing so, I realized that regretting and dwelling on things is not healthy. Acknowledge the mistake, learn from them, take corrective measures if possible and move on. This doesn't mean that I don't feel remorse for if I did wrong to others.

I do not believe in the fallacy of the predetermined outcome. But i do not think regret is bad, i look at it as an examination of a wrong decision learned from.

I do not agonize or even worry about decisions i have made in the past.....but i can be completly honest when looking at them and say yes, i made a bad decision there....noted....learned something.....all good. And if asked would i have done it different, yes....but fully ok with not have and learning from it. I consider recognizing this as regret and being self aware of flaws.

Well if we’re going to bring semantics into it, I would argue that regretting something is not the same as examining and learning from something. I would also argue that having no regrets doesn’t mean lacking awareness of one’s past actions.

Finally I would argue that if someone welcomes or is thankful for ‘regrets’, then, by definition, they are not regrets at all.

How one processes regret to reach self awareness & self forgiveness, is the acknowledgement of regret, thereby nullifying your counterpose.

However, regret is an emotion. If one learns from a mistake, and has no emotion about realizing it's a mistake and only views it as a fact, it's not regret.

An example is many times I realize I've done something wrong and will think "Well, that was stupid. Why'd I do that?" and make the correction and move on. Lesson learned, no need for emotions.

Now, lets look at things from a literal perspective. Look at the title of this thread:

Had it been "What was your biggest regret" would take on a whole different meaning. One could have had regrets in the past, which they had processed and come to terms with.

Excellent
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Regrets, I've had a few🤔.....

But then again, too few to mention🤷

😏
  • TwitchyMacGee
    I did what I had to do
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    edited March 2020

I thought I had answered this previously? Maybe not...

Regret is more of an inward emotion related to the individual who feels they made a poor choice of words or action (or inaction). However, not necessarily having an impact on others. A change may or may not occur.

Remorse is more outward, and is feeling empathy for those who were impacted by said individual. Remorse usually prompts change and takes action to prevent it in the future. They may or may not want to make amends based on the actions

However, one can feel regret without being remorseful. Such as when a person gets caught doing something they shouldn't be, they regret getting caught but don't feel remorse for victims.

This is why I said that one can make a mistake, learn from it and take corrective actions. If there's no impact to anyone, and it doesn't trigger an emotional response, it's simply a learning lesson. Do you feel regret when you correct a misspelled word before you send an e-mail? No. You realized your mistake, corrected it and carried on. Why have an emotional response to this? It's unnecessary.
  • Mamanushka
    Mamanushka Posts: 4 Member
    Believing self image, money, and social standing matter. I regret letting those concepts have control of my own self image and ultimately my "happiness."
  • Mamanushka
    Mamanushka Posts: 4 Member
    Just realizing I'm logged into my mom's never used account lol
  • GettinLean19
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Attempting to give myself a bikini wax...

Dumbest idea in the world.

I do this 😬
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    1sphere wrote: »
    I regret having regrets

yep - my one and only life
    One day...

I aspire to be shameless
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited April 2020

I do this 😬

I think I put too much wax...
    Never paid attention when I got it professionally done.

Tips?
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    All the arguments and fighting I had with my sis before she was killed.

I'm sorry you lost a sister 😔
  • GettinLean19

I do this 😬

Tips?

It hurts so much worse to have it professionally done imo. They use the sticky wax that tugs on skin as much as the hair. I use brazilian hard wax. It’s sometimes a little tricky to get started (that’s where strips are preferable for sure) but the wax only clings to hair so it’s much less painful. In the interest of full disclosure ive also done about 11 rounds of laser hair removal so there isn’t much to start with. I’m really fair so that’s why the laser hair removal wasn’t completely successful. So on that note, a person with more/darker hair than me is going to find it prohibitively more painful. However if you’re just doing a bikini line wax, I think it would be totally doable. A full brazilian requires a pretty serious pep talk first. It’s not impossible though 😁
  • TwitchyMacGee

I do this 😬

Tips?

It hurts so much worse to have it professionally done imo. They use the sticky wax that tugs on skin as much as the hair. I use brazilian hard wax. It’s sometimes a little tricky to get started (that’s where strips are preferable for sure) but the wax only clings to hair so it’s much less painful. In the interest of full disclosure ive also done about 11 rounds of laser hair removal so there isn’t much to start with. I’m really fair so that’s why the laser hair removal wasn’t completely successful. So on that note, a person with more/darker hair than me is going to find it prohibitively more painful. However if you’re just doing a bikini line wax, I think it would be totally doable. A full brazilian requires a pretty serious pep talk first. It’s not impossible though 😁

I’ve done both. For me for the full Brazilian, professional is the way to go. Just a clean up is easy at home. But of course YMMV.