WAISTAWAYS Team Chat - April 2020

Replies

• EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 543 Member
    Happy Thursday and last day of the 300-day month of April! Well, it’s certainly felt that long.
    I missed the rose and thorn share this week. I enjoyed reading your entries, though.
    A new month. Yikes. Time for new walks and weather complete with intros tomorrow. Nighty night.
  • SMcFall0215
    SMcFall0215 Posts: 122 Member
    Well today is May 1st and my weigh in day so...
    SW-156.8 I’m pretty sure the group don’t start until Monday but I have to get myself going so here it is! I am super excited to watch everyone’s progress and to help keep people motivated. Anyone have any tips for reducing the sweet tooth or simple healthy snacks? I ALWAYS seem to find cake late at night 🤦🏻‍♀️.. I’m also not even sure where it comes from because I’m not the one that buys it, it kinda just appears in my kitchen. Sweets are my biggest weakness y’all !!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    PW 153.9
    CW 153.4

@micki48 Yes, I will continue. This has not been my best step week but I need the motivation to step it up.

Welcome new members!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    edited May 2020
    Well today is May 1st and my weigh in day so...
    SW-156.8 I’m pretty sure the group don’t start until Monday but I have to get myself going so here it is! I am super excited to watch everyone’s progress and to help keep people motivated. Anyone have any tips for reducing the sweet tooth or simple healthy snacks? I ALWAYS seem to find cake late at night 🤦🏻‍♀️.. I’m also not even sure where it comes from because I’m not the one that buys it, it kinda just appears in my kitchen. Sweets are my biggest weakness y’all !!

@smcfall1 Happy May! I have been searching out the sweets lately as well. I know that when I pretty much cut them out completely, the urge for it goes away. The more I have, the more I want. So, I guess my best advice is try to cut them out for a few days and see if the search and rescue for sweets subsides. Also, I play tricks with myself, when I'm being mindful. I tell myself I need to finish a big glass of water first and see if I still want it. Or You have to wait 5 minutes before you eat it. Sometimes the reason we are going after it is actually thirst or boredom. Hope this helps and if you come up with anything else, let me know, because right now, I'm right there with you. :smile:

@KellyBgetsfit Great Kelly. I agree, it's a little bit of motivation and every little bit helps. Glad you will be with us.

And congratulations on your loss! Nice work in these trying times.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,013 Member
    Another new member is on the way! We're looking good for May and welcome @Alexsandramorff !
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    jugar wrote: »
    Step and Exercise Team Yay! I hope we'll have a nice big team! I'm in for sure!
    How it will work for us to record both steps and exercise:
    • If you only count steps and that is all you want to do, report your total steps for each day and your're done.
    • If you only want to record other exercise, report the total number of minutes you did intentional, on purpose exercise, and exactly what the exercise was. I'll use the charts I have found to translate the minutes to step equivalents and record them. Normal light housework, shopping, gardening, etc. do not count, but heavy work does. I think we all know the difference!
    • If you want to combine steps and exercise minutes, put in your total steps for the day and minutes of NON-walking exercise.
    • Count running as minutes of exercise and not steps - it counts more per step than walking.
    This is an experiment! If more things should count, or the conversions seem unrealistic for some reason, we can revise!

@jugar Is this experiment going to be on the May spreadsheet? I looked for it but didn't see it.
  • jugar
    • If you only count steps and that is all you want to do, report your total steps for each day and your're done.
    • If you only want to record other exercise, report the total number of minutes you did intentional, on purpose exercise, and exactly what the exercise was. I'll use the charts I have found to translate the minutes to step equivalents and record them. Normal light housework, shopping, gardening, etc. do not count, but heavy work does. I think we all know the difference!
    • If you want to combine steps and exercise minutes, put in your total steps for the day and minutes of NON-walking exercise.
    • Count running as minutes of exercise and not steps - it counts more per step than walking.
    This is an experiment! If more things should count, or the conversions seem unrealistic for some reason, we can revise!

@jugar Is this experiment going to be on the May spreadsheet? I looked for it but didn't see it.
    It just looks like the same old step team spreadsheet - the exercise minutes will be converted to a step equivalent, so it will all look like steps. We just have to rename the team! The record keeping has to be the same for all the teams, since we share the same spreadsheet format.

I'm using this for the conversion - (or another one, there are 2 that seem good, and are very similar)
    https://www.arhs-nc.org/live-healthy/data/StepConversionChart.pdf
  • jugar
    And yes, @evangsimmons170 you nailed it! The quote you found is beautiful, and the starting over and over and over happens. I did it umpteen times until I was 58 and finally got there! So let my voice say in your head,
    "Stop with the all or nothing, will ya!" -- just have a few more good days than bad ones, and try to make the bad ones not TOO bad. Fix one thing in that bad day, and then don't worry if good days aren't perfect!

My grandmother was a concert pianist, and one of the most amazing players I have ever known. She was also quite funny, and one of her lines comes to mind:
    "The problem with the piano is that the wrong notes are much too close to the right ones. And there are more of them."

Yep. Got it in one. Not just about the piano!
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member

It just looks like the same old step team spreadsheet - the exercise minutes will be converted to a step equivalent, so it will all look like steps. We just have to rename the team! The record keeping has to be the same for all the teams, since we share the same spreadsheet format.

I'm using this for the conversion - (or another one, there are 2 that seem good, and are very similar)
    https://www.arhs-nc.org/live-healthy/data/StepConversionChart.pdf

Ok so we're logging our own steps now? I'm ok with that. Just wanted to be sure.
  • jugar
    p8cegknmlagf.png

Final April weigh-ins due!
    @Steph1498
    @Terytha
    @Micki48
    @lovethyneighbor
    @matthewsfive
    @fourathomej - if you have your weight from Wednesday, that would be great! Otherwise, best guess to use as your May starting weight.
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 543 Member
    It’s a sunny day! Wow. I’m not sure how to handle it! I’ve had laundry hanging out for 2 days getting dry, wet, wetter, and dry again. It’ll all smell of warm breezes is a few hours.
    Got to add the current sheets to the mix, walk, and continue the push to finish homework & projects. That’ll keep me busy!
    Thoughts about snacking remind me of recovery strategies. When cravings come up, I tell myself that it’s true that I have a choice - I CAN have that treat tomorrow, but today, I’m choosing to have or do something else instead. Keeping it a “just for today” choice helps me turn the volume down on my “inner brat” and keep moving towards my lofty goals of self improvement and weight loss without beating myself up.
    Have a lovely morning. More in a few hours.
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Cw = 176.6

Steps for 5/1 = 12,714. :smiley:

Have a great Saturday!
  • lovethyneighbor
    lovethyneighbor Posts: 277 Member
    p8cegknmlagf.png

Final April weigh-ins due!

@lovethyneighbor

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Final April weigh in: 184.8

• jugar
    Cw = 176.6

Steps for 5/1 = 12,714. :smiley:

Have a great Saturday!
    Your Saturday weigh-ins only start next week - the first Saturday of the May challenge. So you have an extra long week to keep on losing :smiley:

If you prefer, though, I can enter this weight as your new starting weight for May, and still use what you weighed in on Monday as your week 5 weight for April. (173.6)

Let me know! (great steps by the way!)
  • matthewsfive
    matthewsfive Posts: 836 Member
    Matthewsfive
    Saturday Week 5

PW 161.8
    CW 161.8
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Yesterday was a hard day. I did not sleep well the night before. I was grumpy, ate way too many carbs, and skipped my workout. I was determined to make today better. I already got my workout in and plan to enjoy some family time. Have a great weekend, friends!
This discussion has been closed.