Accountability buddy

Options

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @kmccrom, @beshamama and @renaegry - It sounds as though you’re all making the best of this unstable year. During turbulent times, it takes extra effort to find stability. Thanks for the reminder to linger on the simple joys of the first snow and other daily wonders @beshamama. I’m sorry you can’t share the usual traditions with your mother and sister. You seem very creative so I’m sure you’ll find some unique new way to celebrate with your daughters and I hope you can get together with extended family soon. My family members, who work in health care, are starting to receive the vaccine so there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. It will take awhile for everyone to complete the two doses required - and spread out across a few weeks - but I’m feeling a little better about getting through the winter months now. Hang in there, everyone!

I’ve met most goals this week. I started back to physical therapy (PT) for my shoulder twice a week, and I’m really committed to following through with the home exercises and other advice this time. I’ve got to set up a more ergonomic workspace and dedicate myself to building strength in my back muscles (and stretching out my chest, neck, etc) so I can heal and maintain better posture over the long term. This week, I’ll commit to two PT appointments AND add at least three days of in-home shoulder exercises and stretches.

I also accomplished my goal of meeting with the gym trainer twice this past week, and will continue again this week (with my husband and sons). I only walked one day last week so I’d like to improve my cardio but I don’t think it’s realistic this week because I need to use that time for cleaning up the house (so I feel more festive) and setting up a proper workspace to improve my posture while at the desk.

I’d like to add an exercise session or two in the new year but, for now, I’ll commit to family walks during our vacation, which starts next Friday. I’ll set up more specific plans for that goal once we get to the beach next weekend. I’m also hoping to play tennis with my son and continue PT through Telehealth. I’m not crazy about virtual PT but my two main goals over the winter months are: (1) cleaning out extra stuff and organizing the house once our sons move back to college; and (2) healing my shoulder.

I’m fluctuating between 135-137 now .... so my microscopic-level progress continues. I think it will take another year to reach my goal weight range of 125-130 for maintenance level since it takes me about five weeks to shed a pound these days. I’m hoping to get a body composition scan (e.g., bone density, fat, muscle) in February or March to inform next steps and keep me motivated. I know I need to weigh my food more carefully to get the nutrition balance right but I can’t tackle that until other areas of life are more organized. My macro nutrients are always in a decent range while I’m ‘guesstimating’ but I’ll need to track more diligently to know for sure.

I hope you’re all doing well and appreciate having this space to focus on my health and think though my plans. I welcome your thoughts on anything here and appreciate your insights. Please let me know if you have any tips for increasing the likelihood of success. Many thanks to all of you, Accountability buddies, and best wishes in meeting your goals for the week!
  • bumpbreakcar
    bumpbreakcar Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Whew why is it so hard to lose a freaking pound!!! :s

That’s all :)
  • bumpbreakcar
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal congrats on your loss of a pound!!! I know your still fluctuating but it’s down by a pound!!! So that’s good news. progress is still progress, no matter the timeline. ;)
    And congrats on meeting your goals so motivating... catching up with you all always puts me back in my place... I should’ve checked in sooner <3
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @bumpbreakcar - I appreciate your encouragement so much! Last night, I watched a movie with my family. As we sat down to watch, I was thinking about having a glass of wine but, I was already over my daily calorie goal by about 200 calories, so I decided to sip on a glass of water with mint and see how I felt later. I’m not sure if I was feeling deprived (I don’t think so) but after the movie, I was feeling a little hungry and wanted a snack. It was already after 11pm so I decided to check in to MFP and was still considering various snack options when I read your supportive post above. It helped me feel successful and refocused me. My biggest weakness is mistaking tired feelings for hunger. So, I was able to change my perspective and went to bed. I did consciously eat a couple of nuts (1 cashew, 1 almond) and a tiny chocolate square and raisin from the granola mix we had on hand but it felt really intentional instead of reacting impulsively. Your message made a difference for my because the 200 calorie deficit I was in yesterday is maintenance level for me but, if I go over about 200 or 300 calories, I’m likely to gain.

That’s the power of community and positive peers!

Thank you, Accountability buddies, for making a difference. I appreciate all your help! 🙏🏼
  • bumpbreakcar
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal Oh I’m so happy 🤗! Look at us encouraging each other!

My goal for next week is to be more active on here. I know I’m being impatient because I’ve only been back at this healthy life stuff for about 2 weeks and I want results already, results that I know I won’t fully see until at minimum 3 -6 months or maybe a year from now. But I’ve decided I’m ok with that... I have to be lol it’ll be worth it, time is passing anyways.

Being activate help keeps us accountable.... right now I want some Cheetos...but I can relate to you. I’m not hungry I’m just bored and want to snack ;) but I’ll wait for lunch and eat real food
  • kmccrom
    kmccrom Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Happy holiday season to you all and thank you for the support.
    I love that idea of minimum and preferred habits @PatriceFitnessPal thanks so much for sharing it. I like how it focuses on sustainability.

My goal for this week is to keep logging. I’ll be doing a lot of exercise because I enjoy that and during this holiday break there’s not a lot else to do since we are still on lockdown. That will be good but I don’t want to be too indulgent, except for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day when I will not log. I want to enjoy my food and not overeat in one sitting.

I had an up week on the scale last Sunday but am back down today, so I think I’m going in the right direction. One thing I’m trying, largely because of lockdown, is two yoga sessions per day. I’m doing this because it feels great, but also as a distraction for getting bored and restless and looking to eat my way out of those feelings. I do one yoga session in the morning, then work remotely all day, then go for a walk or bike ride in the afternoon, then more yoga. It’s not good to do yoga on a full stomach so that influences my eating as well. I know I won’t be able to sustain this once the lockdown is over but I’m giving it a try now. Might as well enjoy some benefits from this time!

Wishing everyone the best of luck with their goals!
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Fell off the wagon. Won’t go crazy but taking it easy till Jan. Then will kick it into high gear. Goal is to not get over 165 in that time. Then need to lose 20-25 lbs by this summer. Hovering between 159-162 right now. Hubby is home till new year. Heads not totally in it.
  • bumpbreakcar
    Options
    Side note I ate the Cheetos lol
  • kacanakya16
    kacanakya16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

@PatriceFitnessPal Thank you for sharing about mistaking tired/other emotions with hunger. Being aware of it then intentionally choose our snack and its portion is very important!

@kmccrom Doing exercise that you like is great! Have fun with it 😁

@renaegry The fluctuating weight must be frustrating 😣
    I've been fluctuating too, for the past 6 months actually. I'm 5’1 and have been hovering between 150-154 lbs. At times it reached 160 which is the line of overweight and obese for my height. It's really frustrating... but in my case it's closely related to my mental health problem so I just try to do my best on the weeks when I'm mentally healthy. If I slip off on the bad days, I just pick myself up and try again... Kinda used to it because it's been about a decade in this condition 😂
    So it's great you're not being to hard on yourself and taking it easy while still having some goals. Let's keep doing this!! 💪

@bumpbreakcar Awesome that you're aware you were being impatient and reminded yourself!
    Hope you're not being too harsh on yourself for eating the Cheetos. Sometimes when I really, really want some "bad" snacks like Cheetos, even though I've drunk water and checked that it's not thirst or other feelings aside from hunger, I weigh the snack with mini scale, take only a small portion that I've weighed, and store the rest out of sight before eating it. Sometimes it helps!
  • kacanakya16
    kacanakya16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This week I had goals for calorie intake, water intake, and exercise duration.
    I didn't complete them all, but still happy because there's progress 😁
    This week I only ate around 100-500 kcal more than my limit, while previously I could easily go over my limit up to 1,200 kcal.
    Been blessed with good mental health this time, and I'm taking advantage of it while I can.
    There's always fear of my health deteriorating and I'll slip again, but recently I've been pretty chill about it. I can say, "Yeah it's scary but it's okay" and be more focused on the present. Definitely enjoying my good mental health and making the most out of it 😁
  • bumpbreakcar
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I’m maintaining but I’m determined to see some change

Goals:
    1) At least 30 minutes of exercise each day ( even if it’s just a walk)
    2) water intake 75oz
    3) green smoothie for breakfast

I’m trying to get back into old habits I used to have before I had the extra pounds :)
  • hotshot5
    hotshot5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all, may I join this accountability group? The Covid lockdown and working from home seem to be killing any motivation to stay fit. The gyms in our area were closed, but now are open again. However I’m not sure I want to renew my membership and work out in a gym again because of Covid risks. What solutions are you finding? Are any of you working out in a gym? Do you feel safe? I miss indoor pool swimming. I used to be fairly active: swimming, biking, walking. Before Covid I completed a walking half marathon. 13.1 miles in one day! It felt so good. Now the pounds seem to pile on and TV watching is my main fitness activity. I had a job I loved, but Covid brought that to an end. Now I work remotely from home doing work that is “less than fun.” I wonder if it’s sucking the life out of me. Maybe I’m just grieving a lot, and sad about how the world has changed. I wish we could go back and live normal lives again. I’m about 156 lbs. now, so I’d like to turn around this weight gain and get back into regular exercise and better eating habits. Any suggestions for changing my outlook and making a fresh start? Help appreciated please!!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @hotshot5 - It’s great to have you here. Welcome!

We’ve had to adjust to so many changes this year and everyone has experienced tremendous loss (e.g., normal routines, jobs, shared celebrations, etc.). Grief seems like a healthy response to me, and you sound very resilient! I’m glad you were able to find temporary work at home and hope you can find something closer to the work you loved soon. I was mostly exercising outside during the warmer months but, now that it’s colder, I’ve been visiting the gym on a limited basis. I feel as though the precautions they’re taking are good, but I can understand your reluctance to exercising indoors.

We have to answer a series of questions and have our temperature taken at the door before entering the lobby. Everyone wears a mask and we can only walk through the building in one direction, exiting out a back door that’s usually just a fire exit, instead of back to the lobby area. For swimming, people now make an appointment and I think they’re assigned a lane (& maybe there’s an empty lane between swimmers?). I haven’t been to the pool but there is a special area we can go to workout with a trainer who stands at a distance and cleans all the equipment. He also gives us a pair of rubber gloves if we don’t bring our own. They put the bike machines outside, the other equipment is spaced out with footprints on the floor to keep people walking in one direction, and the free weights are monitored by staff. There are far fewer people using the gym and we try to go at ‘off’ times (e.g., Thursday at 9am & Saturday at 3:30pm).

I’m walking outside and that’s definitely the safer option but, for me, the accountability of an appointment with the trainer helps me stay on track. Now that my college-age children are here during the winter break, the whole family goes together. So, that’s been a nice way to share some time and build a positive ‘covid’ experience. We hiked at the beginning of the pandemic, which was very nice. I’d like to build in more time for hiking in new areas nearby but, recently, I’ve been walking with a friend and our dogs.

The only challenge is that my current level of exercise is not burning as many calories as the rowing I did over the summer. So, I’m going to need to increase my activity because, even though I’ve learned to accept the popular saying that “weight loss is achieved in the kitchen and not in the gym” (or something like that), I need to burn at least 200-300 calories through activity to balance the calorie intake side of the equation. Maybe someday I’ll be able to eliminate my daily snack - and I’m sure others will have better ideas to share - but my current level of indulgence is leading to a very slow rate of weight loss. For the next couple of months, I’m just planning to stick with ‘maintenance’ or incremental loss until I finish physical therapy for my shoulder injury.

Well, I’ve written a lot here and haven’t provided many concrete suggestions for how to change your outlook, mainly because I think you’ve already taken the first step by joining this ‘Accountability buddy’ group. Now, that you’ve decided to make a ‘fresh start,’ we’re here to encourage you to continue on your journey. Feel free to post your goals each week and check in with us about your progress. I’ll look forward to following your success and celebrating your results!!
  • renaegry
    Options
    Weight is creeping up on me have to keep a watch. Can’t let it get higher then 165. Which is pathetic. I really can’t believe I got here in the last few years. So I know I can get back. Need to get my head back into the game. Big thing this last week was the nice salty bag of nuts and bolts by mother gave me. And need to up my game with working out. Years to the new year and getting back at it.
  • renaegry
    Options
    Goal this week thru the holidays is to drink my water.
  • ckjohnstone2995
    ckjohnstone2995 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi All: I just reloaded the app to my phone. It's been a really long time since I've used it. With today being the Winter Solstice, it is kind of a "new year" and a perfect 90 days until Spring! I am not a big fan of winter but thought it is a good time to turn my focus toward my health, so here I am. My goal for today was just this. To reload the app and actually join a message board. Last time I used the app I only used it to track my meals. I hope to post a little something, well, daily - hopefully, to keep my 90-day commitment to myself. Hope that's not too much. There are a lot of threads so I hope I'm in the right place.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @ckjohnstone2995 - Welcome and congratulations on accomplishing your first goal in the ‘new year’!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was wondering if I could "join" your group here??

I'm having the TOUGHEST time getting back into my workouts (I did a lot of walking in the summer, but even when gyms were open, I was dragging myself to get there).

I need a total mindset shift! Or just to stop complaining and do my workouts everyday and make it a habit (get that snowball rolling, so to speak).

I hope I can join the conversation here, and help encourage others as well. :smile:

My goal today is sweat for 30 minutes, in addition to my "yoga day". I can't remember the last time I did legitimate cardio...
  • bumpbreakcar
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Welcome to everyone

@hotshot5 I don’t go to the gym... they just seem scary to me right now. I live in MD and it cases are continuing to rise. So the risk is too high for me right now. I’m working from home too. I miss life before COVID! But I’ve been working on changing my mindset; I’m reading a book (real paper) I found on Amazon- The 100-Day Reclaim: Daily Readings to Make Health and Fitness As Empowering As It Should Be by Nia Shanks. I’m enjoying it!

@renaegry you got this

@ckjohnstone2995 yay! I just decided I would be checking in more regularly on here too! ☺️

12/21:
    Water goal: ✅
    Fitness goal: ❌

Hit my goal of 75oz but fitness goal not much but it’s a new day 😊

Feeling good today! I woke up like and hour early( almost at my goal time) trying to work on my morning routine.
  • renaegry
    Options
    Welcome @Steph_135 and @ckjohnstone2995 we all got this. I have fallen off the wagon till the new year. Won’t go crazy but want to be able to indulge in all my Xmas snacks and beer. lol. Making a fresh batch of nuts and bolts tomorrow which is my weakness. Getting back on track with eating and exercising on Jan 1.