I miss swimming!

Options
2»

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few tri club friends doing some open water swimming recently. Still no pools open around here, but I'm going to dig out the wetsuit and begin open water swimming.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I miss swimming, too. Typically, at this point of the year, I'd have made my transition from indoor/gym training, plus cycling, to cycling to the beach to swim (ocean and outdoor pool). Well, I've been in strict quarantine (Jersey Shore) all this time (underlying conditions make me a higher risk), so no cycling yet, and of course, no swimming. Well, the beach is open now, and I'm going to do my first ride since lockdown this week, maybe to the beach area. The pool .... might be coming at some point this month, we'll see. Of course, the gym closed in March, and I've been doing a variety of indoor exercises, but it just isn't the same.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I've now done one pond swim. Man, it killed me! I'll have to do some more of them.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    I've now done one pond swim. Man, it killed me! I'll have to do some more of them.

I feel you on this. I finally got to the beach a few days ago, did some ocean swimming (the pool facility there was a little too crowded for me to feel at ease). Whew. Now that I'm getting out a little more again, I hope to make up the fitness gap I've lost. I rode the bike today. I just don't have the legs and wind I had, even in the winter.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    No pool in WA yet but we get into a local lake to swim since May. Wetsuit for most of us and some of us also use a thermal cap and socks as needed. After nursing a shoulder injury all winter and doing very little Actual “swimming”, just drills, I’m back up to about .8 mi now. Feeling confident for the first time that I’ll be able to get back up 1 mile soon!
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    No pool in WA yet but we get into a local lake to swim since May. Wetsuit for most of us and some of us also use a thermal cap and socks as needed. After nursing a shoulder injury all winter and doing very little Actual “swimming”, just drills, I’m back up to about .8 mi now. Feeling confident for the first time that I’ll be able to get back up 1 mile soon!

If I recall correctly, you're in the Olympia area? For a while, as a kid, I lived in Auburn. Our local lake, Lake Tapps, a manmade lake, was "fed by Mt. Rainier runoff" as they used to say. All I can say, it was cool water all summer. Ocean temps here in NJ still cool, but warming. Good swimming temps.
  • OceanAddict
    OceanAddict Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I miss swimming SO MUCH. We've had a very cool spring / early summer here in BC so I haven't braved lakes or oceans yet but I am planning to next weekend. The city of Vancouver is opening a few pools in mid-July but I'm honestly not sure how willing I am to risk it, I might wait and see how people behave the first little while.