WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,444 Member
    I still follow Oregon's news and was amazed to know that liquor stores and pot dispensaries are essential stores. But you can't fish. That's about the most solo, normally social distancing activity you can do. I'm confused by it all.
    💖Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    These are just some of the messages all over Facebook, the news, and other places here:

kv18a93c3wv2.png

9aj98c8mv69t.png

cne7da3jfcaf.png

laliec39x5uk.png

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,195 Member
    Machka - The statistics post was very informative.

I wear a plastic ring back thing. It's curly curly and very cheap from Amazon. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    @Janet that's great that you got your truck back.

@Machka it's interesting to read your experience about group work.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I seem to have misunderstood about the Ruby Princess. I’m happy to know about stay home, save lives.
  • bananasandoranges
    @Michele, in lack of masks, scarves help to avoid infecting others. If your mouth is covered you are less likely to send out spittle and aerosol if you have asymptomatic or pre symptomatic form. From what i've read, thick weave is better and non-cotton is better. (cotton lets lots slip in and out). Though it is (sometimes not always) said that surgical masks don't protect at all (this seems to be said mostly in places where mask are lacking, not where they are required) i think they and scarves must protect a little. If i walk by some suspended particles, if my mouth and nose are covered thick weave cloth is likely to provide a mild barrier. Not complete but even filtering out 50% reduces the amount we are exposed to. Cloth masks are becoming widespread and official recommendation to wear them is not rare. A scarf is not identical but not 100% different (depending on how snug it is and what cloth is used). Many people cover mouths with scarves. Everyone agrees wearing a mask doesn't allow to avoid social distancing. As long as social distancing is maintained, there is no risk in wearing a scarf and there is a possible benefit, though some people will argue adamantly against and for nearly every proposal and idea around. Some claim that people touch faces more with masks but i don't find that to be true at all.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Morning

I'm not a fan of tomatoes, I can eat them if they are cut thinly or chopped into small pieces or even fried, but thick raw slices yuk!

Heather I agree about being too clean, I remember the time my sister in law visited with her first child, the little girl Toni was about a year old at the time and was wiped clean every few minutes, SIL was horrified when she saw my next door neighbour (who we were talking to at the time) put her youngest child Stephanie on the grass to dash after the two older boys who were getting up to mischief in another part of the garden. The look on SILs face as she watched Stephanie crawling about in "the dirt" had to be seen to be believed :) By the time SIL had her second daughter a few years later, I don't think she was as bothered about "dirt" :D

Welcome laughing I too would be interested in your meals, my daughter is a vegetarian and I'm practically one, so always on the look out for new ideas for meals etc.

Sun is shining, we had a lovely dog walk this morning, very quiet and the sky was so pretty, looks like it will be a hot day, I'll get some washing out to dry.

Barbara I'm trying to do 15 minutes of tidying and decluttering every day. I don't know if it's because we have pets but I can dust and within a few minutes it looks like I haven't dusted at all. I've been told I only need to enter a room and it's messy, cheek! I'm the messy one, daughter is a bit of a clean freak :)

Better get my 15 minutes cleaning done, :) then pop over to mums to see if she needs anything doing, then back to take the dog out for a quick walk around the block before lunch - wonder if I have enough flour to make some Yorkshire Puddings - for some reason there is a shortage of flour in the supermarket and the local shops. Need to go to the Pet Shop too for dog food and poopy bags.

Both Daughter and Son are still working, daughter works with horses but only sees two other people and she has always avoided other people on dog walks etc. Son is a delivery driver and regularly comes into contact with people, he tries to avoid them, but some don't think the social distancing applies to them. I do worry about him getting the virus and bringing it home. I'd hate to take it to my mum as she is not in the best of health as it is.

Take care <3
    Viv UK
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hello everyone.

Ah, Sunday. You were here too early for me, but I will enjoy you anyway. 2:30 am anyone? I know a nap will be forthcoming! The bedding will be crisp and clean for nap time since it is one of the projects on the to do list today.

So many things to be grateful for in this moment.
    • Awakening to a healthy day.
    • The prospect of watching the sun rise.
    • My washer and dryer.
    • My home which is a great comfort to me.
    • My garden which provides continuous amazement to me.
    • My education. It taught me how to research and make my own decisions based upon facts, not someone else's interpretations.

Off to get started on my to dos for today.

Hugs to all.
  • bananasandoranges
    @Heather

DISINFECTING FOOD i am also not a disinfectant freak normally. i don't wash everything all the time and i seem to usually do fine. there is some research about not disinfecting too much to develop immunity. Of course now i do wash me, things, etc, quite a lot, especially when i get home. My mom said my grandfather, a (what seemed to me rather elegant) drafting teacher used to say "everyone eats a peck of dirt in their life". And my very seriously organized mother of my BF from high school (big Irish family w 9 kids) would say "kiss it up to god" if you drop something on the floor, that you were intending to eat. Now it's different. it reminds me of a trip to india when you had to be wary of surfaces (not assume the train tablet in 1st class is not infected according to an elegant local) and anything one ingested ; but moreso.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    HEATHER couldn’t agree more about being too clean. Have thought for a long time that the growth in allergies especially in younger generation is down to the obsession with antibacterials etc Media ads are full of warnings.

Enjoy your Sunday stay well and safe

Kate ❤️
  • bananasandoranges
    @Whidislander i was surprised first off that cigarette shops were added in with supermarkets and pharmacies for 1St line essential requirements, so i think alcohol is in the same boat. It would not be reasonable to suddenly expect all addicts to go cold turkey right now. Pot dispensary seems a bit more iffy but is possibly in similar category overall.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Penny That bread!!! <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I seem to have misunderstood about the Ruby Princess. I’m happy to know about stay home, save lives.

The Ruby Princess situation is :angry:
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-23/coronavirus-across-australia-if-ruby-princess-never-docked/12172314

"In the case of the Ruby Princess, the question will be what senior employees, crew or the corporation itself knew about the health of the passengers, what actions were taken, and what they did or didn't tell Australian authorities."
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-24/coronavirus-ruby-princess-cruise-homicide-charges-causation-law/12171688

The allegation is that someone in authority knew that some passengers on the Ruby Princess were infected but wanted all passengers to disembark ... so that person told the port authorities that all was well. Then the passengers travelled throughout Australia to their homes ... and infected a large number of people.

The investigation is underway and who knows when we'll find out what the verdict is ... but it's a homicide investigation.

Meanwhile, it looks like the outbreak in the NW of Tasmania (most of our cases) came from passengers on the Ruby Princess. The first 3 deaths here were Ruby Princess passengers, and I think most of the rest (11 deaths so far) have been related.

We're facing fines of up to $16,800 and/or prison if we violate the "essential only" rules ... and people have been charged.

So the Tasmanian Government is taking it pretty seriously.

For example, we can't go visit my husband's sister, even though she's only about 1.5 hour drive away. I'm not even sure I can drive into Hobart right now even though it's about a 15 min drive away because it's in a different council from where we live.

Businesses have also stepped up and have gone online with contactless delivery.

Where they are still open to customers, most places have put up plexiglass between cashiers and customers and have marks on the floor for where you're supposed to stand. Bunnings, our hardware store has added tables in front of the checkout counters so we're forced to stand some distance away from the cashiers. Of course, no cash is accepted anywhere.

Most stores have customer limits. Bunnings only allows 4 people per aisle ... so a maximum of 4 x the number of aisles. If there are more people than that, they have to wait outside.

And most stores have sanitation centres at the front.

So in the last couple weeks we've gone out to get our flu shots, to take Rhody to the vet, and to pick up our van from the shop down the road. All 3 are considered essential and were quick. We've also stopped at Bunnings for my husband's gardening supplies as we are attempting to grow a lot of our own veggies so that we don't have to go shopping. :)

M in Oz