WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: livestream church, 15 mins decluttering Office, bake cookies for Joe, call Carolyn,
    Bonus: 12 mins grooming Tumble, bake gluten free lemon crinkles for Tracie
    Get to do: BB&B, mtg minutes, invest 10 mins cleaning Kitchen/Laundry, carry over 10 mins cleaning Guest Bth, finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed, prep potato bed for snow peas, dig up snow pea bed for potatoes and greens, prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes, transplant herbs, finish cleaning and start de-rusting Aunt Elsie’s stove, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.
    Coping Calendar Day 29: connect with nature, notice life continuing
    gotta get outside tomorrow, rain or shine.
    Amber, thanks that sweet baked falafel looks yummy!
    Michele it was Amber who found the sweet falafel recipe. I’m with you about the artificial sweeteners, why can’t you do coconut oil?
    Sharon count me in with those who enjoy children’s movies and YA fiction like Madeline l’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time. And as Joe commented while watching SpongeBob on the Cartoon Channel, the advertisements are for toys and fun things, not for medications that can make you really really sicker.
    Machka Narnia and the “Princess and.. “ are some of my faves! For the younger set Andrew Henry’s Meadow and Bunnicula stand out in my memory. Glad your van made it home and seems to be doing better with the fresh gas.
    Nancy from Texas, thanks for the CandyLand backstory.
    SuziQ “cause of death…” :lol: Brava on all your accomplishments today, I’m exhausted just reading them ;)
    Viv thanks for understanding. I too am the messy one, seem to generate a perpetual dust cloud like Charles Schultz’ PigPen.
    Karen in VA those view from my window sunsets and sunrises, stunning! “one single worthwhile life.” Very well said.
    Penny I would NOT be able to keep out of your bread, especially the sourdough.
    Barbie :love: Jake’s taste in pizza ;)
    Allie so sorry your foot is still hurting. Do you think it could be broken?
    Welcome @Luckee_Me
    Katla loved hearing about your Aunt Irene. Some of the earliest books I remember checking out from the library wer “Pat Rides the Trail” and “Champion Dog Prince Tom.”

And yes thank you all for correctly translating Ageing Hippie, Mother of Dogs.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: better than March.
    daily: steps=Sat 2578, Sun 3477, vits=25.5 log=26 CI<CO=20 CI<250<CO=11 Tumble & Shadow 5=19 mfp=26 clean 10 mins=28 outside=19 up hill=24
    wkly: BB&B x3=0 rx=3 dance=4.75 
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=0 review 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=17 play=0 sew=0

"Get to do"s and "chose well"s
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    @ginnytez it sounds nice that you can have a barbecue and meal outside w son even keeping 2m distance. we are also to receive confinement info today. Not sure if i will listen and if i won't just go for a 5-7 minute synopsis.

@Barbie that double asparagus double garlic pizza does look good.

@Amber this week of SNL was pretty good. i'm grateful for comedy online. there is quite a lot of it and it's variable. I look at Jimmy Kimmel sometimes. Trevor Noah doesn't seem as good as usual. I sometimes look at kimmel, colbert, trevor noah, and samantha bee. i find their shows variable at any time, but particularly now. Kimmel is very down home. Samantha bee has a kind of whiny voice that i'm not crazy but she occasionally has a great episode. in france there is a guy guilleume meurice who has an audio show asking questions to "everyday" people and then commenting. very subversive and often very funny. was on the balcony listening in my 2h of sun this morning on earphones and lauging out loud at times. I missed the "reporter" one on SNL i'll have to check it out.
  • bananasandoranges
    @Machka i didn't see my tea. i drink green tea but stronger and longer steeped than recommended. i was drinking espresso coffee no milk for a while so i guess that is 1A? the colors on my screen are not great.

I like a few kids books and shows very much, but not a massive amount of them.
  • bananasandoranges
    @Barbara good job keeping up your cleaning.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hello everyone.

Monday fun day. It's back to work today and I am expecting it to be a busy week for me. I scheduled and will be taking vacation days on Thursday and Friday. There is a town hall call scheduled for Friday and I expect there will be an office opening/status update during the call. I will be in attendance. I imagine we will remain remote since the call is on Friday and one would think there is some type of coordination needed to get the staff back in to the office which was originally scheduled to occur on Monday, May 4th.

For what am I grateful for in this moment.
    • Another healthy day for which I get to choose if it is a positive or a negative one. I opt for the former.
    • A morning starting at seasonal temperatures, 73 degrees!
    • The calmness of the early morning.
    • The fresh bedding I slept in overnight.
    • My body which continues to amaze me.
    • I am not lactose intolerant.*

Can you believe it is almost May! It seems like yesterday we were wishing everyone Happy New Year! May is my birthday month and I am attempting to figure out how I will celebrate. I have yet to think about the meal(s) I will prep/create. Instead of cake this year (way too much to have in the house for little not so young me) I may make some creme brulee. *So thankful I am not lactose intolerant.

Until next time.....
    SuziQ - SFL
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Amber loved the funnies, just what I needed this morning - really cheered me up thanks <3

Machka I think I'd like the 2c coffee best, I'm not keen on strong coffee, I don't like filtered coffee either, prefer my Nescafe lol. I also drink a lot of tea, especially for my first drink of the day.

I'm a big fan of children's films, I love most of the Disney classics. I tend to read thrillers now, I've just started Lethal White by Robert Galbraith (J K Rowling) . The three previous Strike novels, have been adapted for television, but I preferred the books. I know they can't put everything into the TV series, but I felt they left out some important details.

Barbie That pizza looks yummy! We haven't had take out for a while, we nearly ordered one last week, but daughter said she didn't trust the pizza maker of not having the glitter (she's such a germaphobe at the best of times) I thought they would be even more safety/health conscious now, but in the end we decided we didn't need the extra calories o:) (we'd both stuffed ourselves with chocolate earlier >:) )

I need to go to the chemist this morning to get mums prescription, I hope it's not busy. I'd better make a start, I wasn't going to go on the computer until I'd finished my chores, that didn't work out did it :D

Love to all <3
    Viv UK

• SuziQ113
    B2 for coffee and D2 for tea (no herbals which I typically do not add milk to).
  • bananasandoranges
    Ok the best part of the day for me has been mornings on balcony in easy chair (moved out to balcony). i have breakfast, drink a liter of green tea very easily. i had been rereading "The Plague" but finished early this morning, so did write a line in journal, drew a picture, and looked at and listened to some things online.

It's great rereading a classical novel 15 years later. I didn't remember all of it, so the surprise element was largely still there in the nuances, and I understand the many observations on human nature so differently 15 years on. The "plague" according to the author, is partly, and very certainly, but not only, a metaphor for the rise of Nazism. it was published just after WW2. It also sketches the portraits of many different types of people, with subtle observations and nuances. Alas there are virtually no women in the novel and they have no depth of role, though this is not unusual for a novel from that period. It's been compared to Kafka's "The Trial" which i haven't read.

There are also similarities to the current situation: confused information coming from the government, confinement, inequality accentuated when one might think the opposite would happen, common coming together and good of many, great variety of experience in the end: maybe a joyful end for some, and a real lasting loss for others. there is good nature and friendship and humanity in it.

It was the bubonic plague though, much more fatal than COVID 19, so with much darker perspective. and yet there are some similarities.

My motivation is in my socks (low motivation, a french expression).

• bananasandoranges
    jljmljklbmkboimvhoinmkln
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    when your team work their behinds off on an extremely busy day and you realize no one will receive a productivity or census bonus.

Welcome to working in government. :)

We're not allowed bonuses no matter how much extra work we do ... like when a virus comes along out of the blue.

They've also suspended 401k matching & contributions to pension plans.

And welcome to my husband's situation. :neutral:

He has a workplace accident ... and is forced to take quite a pay cut and a stop to his pension because that's how the system works. The system thinks he is supposed to go back to work even though he can't.

Get used to the "new normal" ... that's what I was told. :neutral:

Day 768 of "shutdown".

Turning my full energies to virtual medicine - the future.

Excellent!

We've been ramping up the telehealth here too. My team is busy adding telehealth clinics to the database and they will likely change my quarterly reports quite a bit too.

I'm hoping a lot of things go virtual.

M in Oz

>>>

Machka
    Yes, working for the government is different than working for a private company. Of course, you know, when you take a government job, that you will not be allowed a bonus regardless of your productivity. That is not the case for me or my coworkers. Our base pay is low. We actually depend on productivity pay for part of our income, like waiters rely on tips. I will also add that government jobs, like nearly every job, have slack times. You still get paid even if there is not much work to do. If our urgent care center has a slack day, we are obligated to be good 'resource stewards' and reduce staffing accordingly. People who go home early do not get paid for the rest of their shift.

As far as your husband's situation, it is egregious, and he (and others like him) are victims of an unrealistic, rigid, adversarial system. He deserves far better from the Australian government. As you know, people with disabilities in Australia often end up with less than half the income they had before becoming disabled, and they are expected to somehow go back to work regardless of their ability to do so. Return-to-work coordinators in Australia are paid by the government. They are charged with being pro-active, enthusiastic, and energetic in their efforts to return the injured worker to the workplace. Their algorithms do not include any options that include permanent disability. They are not medically trained, and they are not advocates for the workers, although they would like for you to think they are. I feel for you and your husband. Your "new normal" is difficult enough without having to endure chirpy, clueless return-to-work coordinators pretending to be on your side.

The Telehealth company I recently started working for is amazing. It is seamlessly integrated with prescribing platforms and databases, drug interactions software, prescription monitoring platforms, pharmacies, & Laboratories. It keeps information secure, requiring two- or three- step authentication for crucial actions, and is extremely user-friendly for both the patient and the provider. The only thing that needs streamlining is the transcription of the SOAP note in the chart. It's too time-consuming. I'm working on making templates I can customize to each patient during the visit.

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Katla Oh, how I envy that you have your childhood books! I don't think my mother realized how much I might cherish them, and they were sold or given away many years ago.
  • SuziQ113
    I worked my last shift - at least for awhile, maybe forever - at my brick & mortar urgent care. It was Really Really Really busy.

As of mid-March, all productivity pay has been suspended; I totally understand the need to do it as part of staying afloat during this economic turndown, but the reality hits you when your team work their behinds off on an extremely busy day and you realize no one will receive a productivity or census bonus. They've also suspended 401k matching & contributions to pension plans. No more tuition reimbursement. They are putting restrictions on moneys for annual paid time off and continuing education reimbursement. It makes me appreciate how generous they've been through the years.

Karen in Virginia

Karen,

I have to ask.....do you work for a national chain? I am sorry - but I think it is total BS to suspend all perks. It is just an excuse for those at the top to continue to continue to collect off the backs of its employees. There are so many federal and state funded programs right now the company can float for awhile. And, what's the matter with those at the top taking a decrease in profits while ensuring its employees can continue to pay their bills? How many people are working to support their families, parents, etc.? This is one of the biggest reasons why I cannot wait to say goodbye to the corporate world.

Yes, I understand being grateful and appreciative of how generous they have been over the years. But, how many years have the reaped the rewards? What type of cars are they driving, how big are their houses........oh, I could go on and on. And do not get me wrong - with greater risk there can be greater loss or reward. I am a business major (Masters in Accounting) so I get all of the business reasons. But to "suspend" everything? All of it? They could not come up with a way to suspend some while partially paying out others? It will be interesting to see how long it will be before perks are turned back "on".

Maybe you have been through all of this in your head and are resolved. Knowing myself, I would probably rant, then feel thankful to still be employed, and then get on with it. But, oh, I would have to hold my words while this message was delivered. Or was it via email?

I am so glad you are on more than on your way to a making a change. One, hopefully, that fulfills your needs while allowing you to continue to grow and feel fulfilled.

Sorry if I have overstepped.......these types of things just get to me when I hear them. :naughty:
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,599 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    edited April 2020
    Machka9 wrote: »
    when your team work their behinds off on an extremely busy day and you realize no one will receive a productivity or census bonus.

Welcome to working in government. :)

We're not allowed bonuses no matter how much extra work we do ... like when a virus comes along out of the blue.

They've also suspended 401k matching & contributions to pension plans.

And welcome to my husband's situation. :neutral:

He has a workplace accident ... and is forced to take quite a pay cut and a stop to his pension because that's how the system works. The system thinks he is supposed to go back to work even though he can't.

Get used to the "new normal" ... that's what I was told. :neutral:

Day 768 of "shutdown".

Turning my full energies to virtual medicine - the future.

Excellent!

We've been ramping up the telehealth here too. My team is busy adding telehealth clinics to the database and they will likely change my quarterly reports quite a bit too.

I'm hoping a lot of things go virtual.

M in Oz

>>>

Machka

As far as your husband's situation, it is egregious, and he (and others like him) are victims of an unrealistic, rigid, adversarial system. He deserves far better from the Australian government. As you know, people with disabilities in Australia often end up with less than half the income they had before becoming disabled, and they are expected to somehow go back to work regardless of their ability to do so. Return-to-work coordinators in Australia are paid by the government. They are charged with being pro-active, enthusiastic, and energetic in their efforts to return the injured worker to the workplace. Their algorithms do not include any options that include permanent disability. They are not medically trained, and they are not advocates for the workers, although they would like for you to think they are. I feel for you and your husband. Your "new normal" is difficult enough without having to endure chirpy, clueless return-to-work coordinators pretending to be on your side.

Karen in Virginia

Actually, the law in this case is Tasmanian, not Australian. Each state has its own workers compensation laws ... some states are more relaxed ... Tasmania is not.

Businesses are required to pay to an insurance company for workers compensation in case something happens. If something does happen, the insurance company steps in and handles it within the confines of the state law. One of the first things they do is to hire a return to work organisation ... or contact the rtw organisation they usually use ... and tell them that they need to put a case worker on the job. The case workers are OTs, but not overly medically trained and are definitely not advocates for the workers, as you say.

One of the other first things the insurance companies do is to start monitoring things like a hawk waiting for us to slip up in some way so they can cut off the payment.

In addition, the Tasmanian law states that all pension payments, holiday payments, etc. cease ... and the longer the person is drawing money from workers compensation, the less the person gets (to a point).

The goal is to make going back to work the more attractive option.

The system works great if you've broken a leg and can be back at work in a couple months.

I didn't mind so much that rate of pay dropped, but taking pension, holiday pay etc. really irritates me ... so I understand if you feel a similar irritation!! It sucks.

Karen - It was interesting to read what you said to Machka about the work injury situation. My immediate reaction to her husband's injuries was, oh that'll be a huge payout on the company's insurance. It can take years to get it, but usually, if you are persistent, you get it in the end. DH's mother was on the point of being palmed off with a tiny compensation when a well informed relative intervened and she ended up with a really large payout. She then died of of a heart attack, which is one of the reasons he has some savings stashed away.
    I guess each country has different laws.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Because this is workers compensation, it's complicated. The insurance company will not likely offer a payout unless perhaps they figure it would be less expensive for them in the long run. They have the option of keeping us where we are now for several more years.

We're working on other options, but the insurance company has the bulk of the control at this point. They're a big company with lots of money ... they can just about do what they want.

Oh well ... our shut down continues for who knows how long. :neutral:

Back to work on my paper! I'm doing it differently than usual. 2 hours and 45 minutes to go!!

M in Oz

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Happy Monday! Welcome newbies!
    BArbie- I am not really a pizza person; but that pizza looked picture perfect!
    Nanner- The AF trips me up all of the time! lol bc the first words that come to my mind are the naughty ones. >:)
    Coffee and Tea- Coffee 1D, Tea...not shown bc I take it with nothing added.
    Amber- Loved the SNL skits. I am sure my son feels just like Pete in the second video.

Kids arriving. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (kelly)
  • bananasandoranges
    good healthy-ish desserts

i had made a big batch of kidney beans and needed to use them up probably faster than i could comfortably eat them so i made a batch of bean brownies: beans, coconut oil, maple syrup, salt, vanilla (didn't have any so replaced with cardamon). baking soda (didn't have any so i saw that since many like brownies thick and gooey like i do, we can skip the leavening -- shout out to @Amber ). The "dough" is delicious. Waiting for it to cook.

and not sure if i said this-forgive me if i'm repeating- i "discovered" a nutella replacement: chocolate powder, sesame butter (tahini) and maple syrup. it's amazingly simple and tastes like upscale nutella to me.