WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Machka - The Tasmanian system is interesting. I suppose it avoids all the "ambulance chasing" law firms that make all their money in this country in No Win No Fee cases. But it does seem annoyingly long winded and unfair. Are there no voices raised on this issue? It sounds like an abuse of Human Rights.

Kylia - You have done amazingly to get your weight down while you are going through all this stress. That is an achievement in itself. Hugs for your family. <3

Going for a run this pm with DH. He walks. :laugh: That's how fast I am.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    @SuzyQ "but I think it is total BS to suspend all perks. It is just an excuse for those at the top to continue to continue to collect off the backs of its employees. There are so many federal and state funded programs right now the company can float for awhile. And, what's the matter with those at the top taking a decrease in profits while ensuring its employees can continue to pay their bills? How many people are working to support their families, parents, etc.? " I totally agree.

@Lisa good for you for 4 Days reducing calories in. for me it's been tough and not positive calorie-wise, so far, during confinement, so i can relate. Good that you are doing elliptical still and staying fit. Sorry about past work thing. i bet many can relate. for me not my base work, though a few students may have fallen through the cracks who certainly wouldn't have otherwise. (a school-wide issue, concerning students in a remote area w no internet etc, i actually have really good attendance overall in my "classes"). But i'm very activist in terms of workers rights and we were making great progress and the current context will be used - no doubt - as a pretext to not progress.

Has anyone heard of noemie klein's disaster theory: the idea that gov'ts and businesses have policies lying around and use the disaster situation to implement discretely or not discretely the policies they'd been waiting possibly decades to implement... i don't know the gist of everything but france is last in class-ish in terms of COVID testing and they've just made a call for bids for 3.2 million on surveillance drones. almost unbelievable...
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited April 2020
    Lisa - I think your rant on grants is something that will be shared my many. My son's extremely hard work in changing his job and setting up a new AF marketing organisation for the leisure industry is all for next to nothing. So many people have put a lifetime's work into something that has just fallen to pieces in front of their eyes. They have worked every given hour and saved and it is all gone. A terrible feeling. They stare ruin in the face.

Here is Brighton Palace Pier during the crisis.

l0vcaybrqjv0.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    It's Monday, ladies! May is just around the corner!! <3

Something I'm grateful for....LED nightlights! Love being able to navigate throughout the house at night without flipping a light switch. And it's much safer for DH.

Karen:
    I always look forward to your wise comments here! When I was in line at Walmart early yesterday morning, the little gal in front of me was wearing scrubs and wore a surgical mask. I asked here where she worked, she said the hospital and she made it a point to tell me that she was wearing it to protect me! Karen's exact words. :) She said virus patients are taken to the large hospital in the next county, and the local one should start up in a couple weeks with elective surgeries. Our county doesn't have very many patients and seems most of them have been able to recover at home.

Bummer about your employer stopping pay and benefits. :( There's fear in our community that many dentists won't make it. They initially donated all of their masks to the hospital, now they are waiting for resupply in the community. I think they are open to handle emergency cases and that's it. Their staff is likely suffering the same in reduced/no income. :(

But how wonderful your tele-medicine job, which is probably better than being around sick people, came about as a result of this crazy virus thing. Silver lining time. <3 And I can't imagine being in a brick and mortar urgent care is very cheery these days.

Allie - so sorry to hear about your foot! And how sad for Trudy. Are you able to visit with her at all out on your patio or just phone/email right now?

OK gotta scram for now. Dogs at the back door wanting out NOW, lol. Likely to chase the bunnies.

Make it a good one! B)

Lanette
    SW WA State

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :) Favorite children's book "Mr. Popper's Penguins".

:) Yesterday's pizza was delicious but a rare detour from our usual healthy eating. As pizzas go, it was probably more nutritious than many because of the veggies, but we won't be doing that for a really long time.

:) We saw a very funny movie on Netflix yesterday--"Love, Wedding, Repeat"

:) On YouTube, I watched a stage production of "Cabaret" with Alan Cumming. I saw the movie many times, but this is the first time I'd seen the stage version---very thought provoking.

:) I'm reading a mystery book set in and around Pike Place Market in Seattle.

:) The audio book I'm listening to is Alan Cumming's memoir "Not My Father's Son".

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,500 Member
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    Favorite childhood books:

Uncle Arthur's Bedtime stories. This Indiana farm girl was fascinated with the way of life depicted in the Holy Land 2000 years ago. Kids wearing robes :) All of that sand :) And this Jesus person. ;)

Every Marguerite Henry horsey/pony book I could lay my hands on. Misty of Chincoteague. Brighty of the Grand Canyon. All of them. If I lived in Virginia I'd be all over Chincoteague and Assateague Islands. <3

Going to add these to my list when I can get back in to the used bookstore.

Lanette
    Soggy SW WA State where thankfully DH was able to mow the lawn yesterday!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Today: read, was outside online in 2h of sun in morning, walked, food shopped, baked bean brownies.

i've been a bit blocked to say the least of late.

i would like to do at least one of the following today:
    -tidy
    -start video that a friend-colleague requested (work related)
    -correct some papers

sometimes i just zone out these days and do nothing.
    after my hr long walk i'm always really tired and (since i can) need to nap. i'm sure if i were teaching or whatever i would just top up on tea and power through. being alone 24/24 is not energizing. in 1st weeks with friends and colleagues we were calling one and other more often but the longness of the confinement somehow has made that hard to sustain. i used to clap and cheer enthusiastically every day for 8pm applauding for healthcare workers but now i sometimes skip participating in the loud clapping around for 2 min or else on a better day i sit outside and clap with effort. yes this is depressing for some of us. sorry to say but it is. and i know many people have it much worse than me and will be or are effected with much more impact. i work with lots of artsy people and if some are full of resilience others are full or passion=emotion= (sometimes) lesser stability than some.
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited April 2020
    Barbie - Alan Cumming is my brother's wife's sister's ex husband's brother. :D They are very close with him and have been invited to all his first nights. I have never met him, but he signed a copy of his autobiography for me. :p This May they were due to go and stay in his swish apartment near Times Square for a week with the sister. :'( They are now trying to get their money back for the flights.
    The story of his background was featured in a series called ' Who Do You Think You Are ' on the BBC.
    He is reported to be a very nice and generous man.

Does anyone know what this flower is called? I pass it on my run. It has fleshy leaves like a succulent.
    04666x7164xz.jpg

Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    Machka - The Tasmanian system is interesting. I suppose it avoids all the "ambulance chasing" law firms that make all their money in this country in No Win No Fee cases. But it does seem annoyingly long winded and unfair. Are there no voices raised on this issue? It sounds like an abuse of Human Rights.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I've done a bit of research to find out where Tasmania stands with it all, and there are voices that cite other states who are doing it differently ... but so far they've been ignored.

One thing that is, I think, consistent across all the states is that an injured worker needs to stay within the "plan" for 2 years before he/she can think about suggesting settlement or some change to the plan.

It's not fair. Like I said, it works for the person who has a short-term injury, but it is not designed for someone with a long-term injury.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Staying up late tonight trying to finish a paper ... or close to it anyway. I'm in the delete and reorganise stuff phase.

I need to get this done because I need to start another one tomorrow!

PS. On group work: after providing my group with a research plan (when they didn't have anything) and explaining what needed to be done ... I got an email today from one indicating that they've gone off in left field with it again. They're not "getting" the point of the assignment. <<sigh>> I've replied to them telling them the point of the assignment, and have also sent a copy to the instructors to get clarification that I'm on the right track.

Half of my work in groups is getting everyone headed the right direction.

M in Oz

I've submitted the first assignment and have until midnight tonight to do the next.

Machka in Oz

DONE!!

Got it in with about 5 minutes to spare.

I did that second one a completely different way from what I normally do. It was definitely faster but didn't feel quite as comfortable. However, I did address the points I was required to address and stayed under the 2000 word limit with 1800 words. :)

So we'll wait and see.

Now I have to check my calendar to see what's next.

Today was a "holiday" in honour of ANZAC day so tomorrow will be back to work, for one thing. And I have a Zoom AGM in the evening ....

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Morning ladies~
    Lisa~ I am ok, just going a bit stir crazy stuck here trying to figure how i will juggle it all..but have to have faith that all will be well..
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited April 2020
    Heather - It looks like a composite of some sort and definitely not a native of the British Isles. Maybe something in the Othonna family? Or possibly Senecio? I saw something similar but much larger flourishing as ground cover in dry spots on the Algarve coast.

/Penny
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    edited April 2020
    heather - here it is called ice plant.... I'll see if I can find the variety

kim

ps I think it's this one

White trailing ice plant Delosperma 'Alba
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,027 Member
    B)
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    heather - here it is called ice plant.... I'll see if I can find the variety

kim

ps I think it's this one

White trailing ice plant Delosperma 'Alba

Yay! I thought Kim might be able to crack that one. B)

/Penny
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Tea- I love Dark so all of Row 1 y 2A
    Coffee - milky y dark so row 2 any of it

Amber Tx