I still don't understand how to calculate calories per serving in a crockpot dish

2»

Replies

• houghtalingdavid1278
    houghtalingdavid1278 Posts: 19 Member
    These are my ingredients: 2 containers of Jennie-O ground turkey, two cans of tomato sauce, 1 big can of crushed tomatos, 1 tsp vegetable oil, 3 cans of beans. When it asks for servings...this is where I get tripped up
  • houghtalingdavid1278
    Lietchi wrote: »
    what I do is create the recipe in myfitnesspal and then I start it off with say 4 servings. I then cook the meal and portion out all the food into containers (some get frozen/stored in fridge). Now i know the # of portions and I update the recipe. This also makes for super easy leftovers. Will every portion size be identical? no, however over the course of a few days you'll end up eating all the portions and get the full benefit of the macros in it. So it all works out over time.

That works if you're the only one eating the food. But when there are other people in the household eating from it as well, it's necessary to weigh the entire cooked dish AND the individual portions you eat.
    It just takes a bit of calculating. Weight of the individual portion divided by the total weight of the dish and you know how much of the total dish you are eating and have to log.
    Some people choose the weight of the total dish as number of servings, and then you can log the weight of your individual portion as the number of servings you eat for that meal.

yea but I am putting the items in the recipe builder as RAW. If I weigh the food after its done, the weight of 6 oz cooked is like 8 oz raw so its now accurate. How am I putting in items in the recipe builder cooked?
  • houghtalingdavid1278
    Count the calories that go in. Everything. When the dish is done weigh it. Save the weight in grams as one serving per gram. So if it weights 2 pounds, you have 908 servings. If it was 2000 calories total, it is 2.2 calories per gram. Then when you eat it, you weigh it and the weight in grams is the number of servings you had. If you eat 300 grams it will automatically calculate that at 2.2 cal/gram and log 660 calories.

I think it just hit me! thanks!
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    ok all of your answers are way over my head and make absolutely no sense. Its in a crockpot- when its done its still in the crockpot - I cant weight it again unless I take the whole thing out and put it into something and then weigh it but that is totally unrealistic. I basically serve right out of crockpot and there is a huge disparity of the weight after cooking than before so I dont understand what people are saying to weigh after and divide by a pre-determined serving amount because that doesnt work because that weight is post cooking.

Weigh the empty crockpot, if your scale goes that high. Then weigh the crockpot, plus all of the food in it. Do the math, just subtract the weight of the empty crockpot.
    Then, weigh your bowl, plate, whatever. Weigh it again with food on it. Subtract. There you have the weight of just your food.
    It's just a few extra steps.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Count the calories that go in. Everything. When the dish is done weigh it. Save the weight in grams as one serving per gram. So if it weights 2 pounds, you have 908 servings. If it was 2000 calories total, it is 2.2 calories per gram. Then when you eat it, you weigh it and the weight in grams is the number of servings you had. If you eat 300 grams it will automatically calculate that at 2.2 cal/gram and log 660 calories.

I think it just hit me! thanks!
    I'm so glad. It is so easy once you understand it and stop trying to estimate the number of servings. Just make the serving number equal the total weight of the finished dish in grams and then when you eat it, you just weigh it instead of trying to guess as to how many servings you are having.

And, yes. If the final contents equals 4000 grams you have 4000 servings. And, if you eat 300 grams you have eaten 300 servings.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    When I first enter recipe I set it as 1 serving total; once cooked then I edit it to my preferred serving size (I use 10g as mine)

For weighing - weigh your crockpot empty and note it and then when cooked - subtract the empty crockpot weight - that is your final cooked value
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,974 Member
    one thing I did too, is weight my crock pot on my own scales - ie the ones I weigh myself with.

Not my kitchen scales.

Just found it easier weighing a large pot on a flat surface than balancing on my kitchen scale which is small and on a sort of pedestal stand.

also you only need to weight the empty pot once - watever recipe you make in it obviously doesnt change the pot weight.

and record it somewhere for future reference.

I wrote on bottom of my crockpot in permanant texta.