May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @Tramboman I've had those for a couple of years so I don't remember, but suspect ordered from Amazon. I don't see the exact ones but if you search stackable planters similar options come up.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited May 2020
    5/1 – 3
    5/2 – 3
    5/3 – 3
    5/4 – 3
    5/5 – 0
    5/6 – 2
    5/7 – 4
    5/8 – 4
    5/9 – 3
    5/10 – 10K Mother’s Day virtual
    5/11 - 2
    5/12 – 3
    5/13 – 2
    5/14 – 5
    5/15 – 4
    5/16 – 5
    5/17 - 5
    5/18 - 2 - it's Skip's birthday so I ran 2.0 in honor of her turning 20
    5/19 – 4
    5/20 - 4
    5/21 - 4
    5/22 - 3
    5/23 - 6

80 of 50 miles

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June - Sept
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    K
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Avidkeo so glad you got 'your' Garmin back! It's like sending your kid away to camp, then having them come back home to you :D
    Oh good! It is 99% humidity today! My FAVORITE!

Same here! It was a miserable 11 miles this morning. Nothing good to say about this run :(

exercise.png

You ran. 👍 You embraced the suck 👊.

There was much suck embracing today!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    @Tramboman I've had those for a couple of years so I don't remember, but suspect ordered from Amazon. I don't see the exact ones but if you search stackable planters similar options come up.

Thanks!!!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,936 Member
    @rheddmobile Excellent choice! Always listen to the birds too. That's crazy that they all congregated in your yard. I might have freaked out a little at that.
  • PastorVincent
    @brittanystebbins95, Are you sure you did not confuse the baby oil with the sun block? :open_mouth:

• lilybed
    lilybed Posts: 15 Member
    Hi guys new here. What’s the best fitness watch based on your use/observations? Want to get back into my fitness and need a gadget to record everything... thank you!!
  • PastorVincent
    lilybed wrote: »
    Hi guys new here. What’s the best fitness watch based on your use/observations? Want to get back into my fitness and need a gadget to record everything... thank you!!

Welcome!

You will find that the choice of watch is greatly personal in style, taste, need, and most importantly budget. I use a Garmin Forerunner 935 which was last year's most expensive model (the 945 has replaced it) and most people will not want it for that reason alone. The Garmin forerunner 245 is a great option at a more middle of the line price.

Here is good info on the Garmin 245:
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-forerunner-245-music-gps-watch-in-depth-review.html

Some in this thread prefer Fitbits. Some prefer the Garmin Vivoactive line, and so on. I do not think there is a "right" choice here. Some even prefer to use their Apple Watch.

DC Rainmaker is about the best place to research a watch:
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com

He has very extensive reviews of just about every watch out there.

So I suggest the best place for you to start is to decide what you want the watch to do for you. Then start looking at which ones meet those features. If you can see one physically that would be a very good thing. Some of these (like mine, or the Fenix line) are rather large and that turns people off too.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Aw dang @brittanystebbins95 ! That's just awful! Maybe switch to one of those beautiful zinc oxide sunblocks for the remainder of your pregnancy? My DD is very fair (25yo) and I get 50-100spf for her. She can still burn if she's neglects reapplying.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    @brittanystebbins95 biggest hugs! Last time I remembered burning that bad was in Tonga and it was AWFUL! I unfortunately don't tan at all, I go white to lobster read back to white, so I use a copious amount of sunscreen when I'm in the sun.

@lilybed welcome!

As @PastorVincent said everyone had a preference. I think most runners use Garmin though there is a move to other watches such as Polar and Suunto (?).

I personally have a Garmin Vivoactive 4s. I have this one because I wanted a GPS watch that also had music and all day activity /calorie tracking.

If you are only interested in basic tracking of runs, and maybe daily steps then a 245 is great. If you want more precise running metrics such as cadence etc you want to move up to more premium watches like the 645.

Most of them have heart rate, and most are moving to having music.

I switched from fitbit a couple of years ago, and will never go back. I have found Garmin has a superior build quality, fitbits tend to fall apart after about a year of use.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Well no calls overnight, whew. I was going to go out for a walk at 9am, but got called to work haha. And as we had rain forecast I took the kids out in the morning. Good thing to cause the rain hit around lunchtime and is now settled. I've had a bit of pain in my right calf for the last 2 days. I've massaged and rolled, but it seems to be persisting. Don't think it's my shoes they are all less than 3 months old and haven't had that much use, but I have been on my feet a lot at work. So decided a rest day is appropriate.

Hope it's OK tomorrow
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Morning all, just back from a tough run and highly amused to catch up on here and read all the stories of ‘embracing the suck’. Weird thing is, it’s cooler this morning than it has been, and I certainly don’t have anything like 99% humidity to be dealing with unlike @PastorVincent! But for whatever reason, today was hard.

Managed just over 10k, and just sneaked in under 11 min/mile average pace. But I had to stop a couple of times in the last mile and a half, which i never do. At any rate, it’s done and I’m over my May goal now.

Glad you have your watch @Avidkeo. Relieved you escaped all the mad weather @rheddmobile. Well done on the 8 mile run @quilteryoyo! Was it @katharmonic celebrating daughter’s graduation? If so - congrats to you and I’m just sorry it has to be a virtual one.

Wishing you all a great Sunday. X

May goal: 60 miles
    May total: 61.7 miles

1/5: Strength training
    2/5: 4.2 miles
    3/5: Strength training
    4/5: 4 miles
    5/5: Strength training
    6/5: 5 miles
    7/5: Strength training
    8/5: 4.8 miles
    9/5: Strength training, zoom yoga class