WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I love the “view from my window” photos. Thank you for sharing. My id photo on mfp is sunrise from my window.

🌹
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,728 Member
    I can't believe my sister wants to come visit my elderly parents in the middle of a pandemic. Just because economic pressure is forcing things to reopen doesn't mean the risk is gone. So reckless! She would be flying from TN to Baltimore then driving to Delaware. And bringing her grandson who is a noisy boisterous child. I really want to just hide until all of this goes away.

Does your state have a self isolate rule when coming in from another state? In New Brunswick where my Mom is if you go to the province from any other place you must self isolate for 14 days.

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,033 Member
    Yes they do have a self quarantine rule for out of state people today, but a lot of the rules change tomorrow and I can't find whether that does or not.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited June 2020
    :)Annie, Can't you and your parents tell your sister that she is not welcome to come now. We told everyone that no one is welcome to come to our house. My husband is 74 years old with multiple high risk factors and he told his children that if they were to come to the house, he wouldn't let them in.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :) Then new thread is ready for June. I am impressed that I got it done since I mostly have no idea what day it is.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10798633/women-ages-50-for-june-2020#latest
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Beth- Thought we would have to they drove up y down on loud blow horns yelling y honking when we checked the news saw violence in other areas. Got lucky our area last night was just screaming protestors who didn’t damage.Hopefully tonight nothing or just yelling. Some areas had busted windows on homes near the Alamo area. My father-in-law bravely went downtown this morning to give us an update give estimates to anyone needing one for insurance reasons. He said it was disaster area. We have bags packed but live down a 1 way out area would be hard to get out we live in a dead end spot. So far nothing on the news hopefully the expected sprinkles off y on today y tonight they’ll reschedule. Let’s hope it pours rain 🌧. Curfew tonight starts at 10pm.

Amber Tx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,033 Member
    I decided that even though the visit is not my decision, I should provide some facts to my sister. So I found the governor's guidance for phase one of the reopening, and sent her the relevant parts like avoid leisure travel, vulnerable people like my parents remain on lockdown, people from different households keep six feet apart, and still masks in public. I texted it might not be the best time for a visit. She said ok, but I don't know what she means by that. But I stood up for myself and gave her facts, and that's all I can do.
    Annie in Delaware
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    @Sharon Monkey mind is "unsettled; restless; capricious; whimsical; fanciful; inconstant; confused; indecisive; uncontrollable".https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_mind I had more of the anxiety and the other woman alone said she couldn't stop her thoughts was always busy busy in thought even when alone in confinement.

@Margaretturk I'm so sorry you and your son had to go through that with the police. That seems horrible to me. When I was a teen lived in a working class mostly white neighbourhood and it was known that the police would often beat up and possibly worse, working class white teens they caught drinking beer. People said most of the police were trouble makers when teens and just went to the other side of fighting. Here I have a friend who's s.o, is a policeman from the West Indies. I think it was probably just one option of job for someone not into school. he's very kind and was able to take early retirement at around 55, and now drives a van for handicapped people. he seems to be very good at this more caring profession and is glad not to deal w the stress of being a cop.

@Machka and @Suzi I would not do a phd at this point if not working in higher ed or some other specific goal. it's stressful. and a lot of work. and in a few decades we'll no longer be there. there is something to be said to be moving up the ladder to become director (thus a possibly interest in phd for you), women are often hesitant to do so, but then if you are introverted I wonder if that would make you happy. I have most definitely heard that phd is not seen as a plus for some jobs. I have a friend who's an artist and cameraman for weddings etc, and she does NOT put her phd in her cameraman CV/resumé. also in sciences it can make person look more abstract and less pragmatic, (im told) and in arts also it can make artist look like researcher and not artist (I'm told by artist w phd who's a tenured teacher). Like what famous visual artist has a phd? (writers, surely there are many; and people in all sorts of sciences including political sciences). I have some friends who have said their Phds had not served them at all. I'm not sure if it's so black and white. funnily enough we don't use the phd letters and I'm a bit adverse to that. definitely ill at ease, about resentment from family about me having a higher degree

@Heather thanks for understanding how hard it is for solos (or some of us) at present. I have a couple of solo friends who love the confinement, one is introverted and often tired and has too much travel at her work and is intending to change jobs soon ; and the other is big into meditation so loves the sort of more introverted situation of most everyone. She regrets the move to partial deconfinement, but she is 65, has been retired since before 40 (sold jewellery and then retired very early) spends weeks in hermitages and things like that.

bumps/rash, I'm thinking it might be spider or other little bug bites. I live in a 500 sq meters on 6th floor w long balcony and wall of 2/3 window-doors giving onto the balcony. I keep them open very much of the time, so with a few plants inside and outside it's quite conceivable and probable that some bugs get in. it doesn't seem to be spreading like a rash usually does. Also I went to parks 2x this weekend, on Sunday I lay on the grass. I'll keep an eye on its development. since I had bumps during confinement and my GP thought it could be serious and I had an online appointment with dermatolist at her suggestion who prescribed medication (3x a day for a week, but have to start very fast for effectiveness) in a rush for shingles and then lab test of bump showed it not to be shingles....I'm hesitant to run to the dr again. When older there is always this or that to check out. I'll keep an eye for now.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    edited June 2020
    I went for my 5k run this morning. :D I woke up debating it, because my knee has been stiff for a few days now, but I am really missing both the running and the seafront. Didn't go out all weekend. It will be too hot for running after lunch.
    So, I decided to strap it up as the sports physio had shown me. Did that and went out.
    Oh joy! I am so glad I did. It was as if the Hoveites had reclaimed the promenade and the beach. Just the locals out there, running, walking, swimming, canoeing. Blue, blue, sparkling calm sea.
    The only small downside was that the tourists, grrrrrr, had piled their trash up beside the bins and the breeze had blown it across in some places. Most of it had already been cleared up though.
    I was so happy to be out there and I don't think my knee was any the worse when I got back. I then did half an hour of rowing to top up my calories and will add a couple of hundred after lunch.
    What a great start to the day.

The car is being serviced today. We don't have to have an MOT at the moment because of the crisis, but they are doing the services now. Because DH opted for the 5 year service they come and collect the car, do the service, valet it, and bring it back. :p We have not used the car since Dec 31st, except for running it once a week to top up the battery and driving a short distance to unstick the brakes. It just sits there burning money. :o If DH didn't need it to get to the cricket (one day :# ) we could get rid of it. I haven't driven since we moved here.

Well, on with my memoir. Sending love and hugs to all.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,044 Member
    On the drive home from son's saw two cars with no license plates. I reported both of them. I think this is part of what it will take. Neighbors and neighborhoods joining together to put a stop to this. Again I wish I could share that picture from Facebook where people brought bags and bags of groceries to help those who lost their grocery stores.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Just looked outside rained last night good means Riots got rained out I needed the sleep 41myiamne8qw.jpeg

Amber Tx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,044 Member
    Amber I wish I could come down there and just give you a big hug, and we could cry together.

Son told me yesterday how grateful he is I am there for him. I told him too how grateful I am to have him in my life. Brought me to tears.

Healing is not a straight path. Rather there are twists and turns. Setbacks and triumphs. What pulls me forward is Love. In all that is happening I believe in this Love. Looking at the sign Believe I bought at Christmas time. I keep it up year round. I have to admit it has not always been easy to keep that thought. Perhaps that is why I keep it up to remind me it will always be there whether I am ready to hear its message or not.

Time to go visit the garden.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Margaret- Big air hug sent your way.

Do we have racist cops in my city? Of course but not many are white. Whites a minority here.

Are we a huge white population?? Nope their a minority here. We’re about 65% Hispanic 20% white bunch of other. Asians make the highest pay then Hispanics (says white but Hispanics are white in our drivers license y census categorized) in our city. We’re a dark colored city . So we thought they’d skip us guess not. Most of our Blk population is Blk Hispanics which makes them Hispanic. So why we got hit is still beyond me. Our precinct that was racist towards hubby has already received a complaint by his bosses (Hispanic owned Buisness with the one white son in law that’s lazy). They actually do stuff here when a brown man or woman makes a complaint.

Let’s hope tonight it rains or they skip it.Seeing nothing being done in the Floyd case definitely is fueling this..Why the other 2 cops have not been charged with something looks badly.

Amber Tx
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    :)
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Join us in June Ladies

Okie