WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)Lisa, the spring before I retired, I went to a retirement party for a colleague of mine who was a year younger than me. I expressed surprise at her decision to retire knowing that she had loved her job and hoping that it wasn't for scary health reasons. She told me that someone had told her that when it was time to retire she "would know" and that's what happened to her. The following winter I walked into a staff meeting and realized that for the first time I didn't feel energized by the challenge. I just felt tired and that it was time for the younger people to figure out how to accomplish more with increasingly fewer resources. That's the day I knew I would retire. If I had worked a few more years, I would have added $200.00 a month to my retirement income for the rest of my life, but I heard someone use the phrase "quality of life" and I knew that stopping working that job was more important than money. I have never regretted that decision. I retired in 2004 at age 58. I am 74 now and have lived an abundant, fulfilling, and healthy life.

:)Rita, I love that hat.

:)Katla, Jake would love to get his hair cut but he is very cautious about going into such a confined situation as a hair cutting salon.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Rita- the hats so cute!! Love it

Amber Tx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Rita It's really cute! The fabric is fun.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2020
    Rita: Your hats are wonderful!!!

DH has scheduled an appointment with our regular beauty shop. He will walk in and be served. I can’t go in with him because they are limiting exposure as much as they can and still be a functioning business. I cut my own hair a while ago and am satisfied with it for now. I just cut the bangs around my face and left the rest alone.

The lock down mandated by the Governor has been tough for many small businesses. Grocery stores and hardware stores remained open as did our local ACE and Walmart. Small independent shops have been curtailed completely until recently. Evidently some of the restrictions have been eased. I wonder whether the ice cream store will get to open, along with restaurants. I hope our accountant's office reopens soon, too.

This morning we’re having clouds with bright sun gaps. I’m hoping for a good day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    LISA ~ Congrats on your decision to leave the job. I have had that feeling that a weight has been lifted several times in my life. I know you will find new adventures to come and wish you well.

BARBIE ~ I too was 58 when I left my job. After 30 yrs, it had just gotten harder and harder each year to put up with all the politics and discouragements. I was very sad for a long time after my decision because my whole being was tied up to teaching. Now, I know it was for the very best. After leaving teaching, I sold vintage jewelry on eBay and Etsy for 4 or 5 years and loved it. It was fun going to estate sales, garage sales, and thrift stores to find treasures. Now all my treasures are packed up and I hope my granddaughter will enjoy this hobby when she gets older.

RITA ~ Love the hat and the fabric is so cute.

LUCY ~ What talent you have been gifted with. I am sure you were a blessing to all those folks you worked with over the years.

MUSIC ~ I took piano in 5th grade and that was it for playing a musical instrument.
    I have two left feet and have never been able to keep time or steps to music.
    Voice was a very soft soprano in high school chorus.

Carol in GA

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,932 Member
    edited May 2020
    It’s lovely to read all about the musical talent in our midst. As always, we have an eclectic bunch of interests.

RV Rita: WOW! 🥰 🧢 V cute!!!

Heather: Ros was one of a kind. It’s therapeutic that you are all sharing pictures of her.

Barbie:i never realised we were the same age. I retired 2 years before you at 56. I just knew it was time, and the school was looking for voluntary redundancies after an amalgamation. I got extra pension credit, and pension lump sum plus a generous redundancy payment. It was a no brainier, really. I worked part time for the exam board as a moderator for another 4 years, then even that lost its lustre.

Lisa: I loved retirement from the very start. Oh! The sense of freedom!!! Magic!

I got my hair trimmed 8 weeks ago, just before lockdown. It has now grown long enough for me to put it into bunches. I’m not planning a trip to the hairdresser any time soon.
    s1t5cvexwkcf.jpeg

I’m having a relaxed evening watching telly and crocheting.

Enjoy what remains of your Friday.

☘️ Irish Terri
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    Like Barbie, I knew when it was time to retire. I was a nationally board certified teacher. In Georgia that came with a 10% pay raise. When the state decided the best way to save money was to remove that supplement, it was a no brainer for me.

Karen, thanks for the links. I will check some of them out. I’ve been reading Dirty, Lazy Keto and looking at some of the Keto Facebook groups. I really don’t think it’s for me although some recipes do intrigue me. I am more of a whole foods girl, I think. I can’t for the life of me figure out what is healthy about pork rinds (although I do like them).

Today I made blueberry bagels with 1 cup each of self-rising flour, plain full fat Greek yogurt, and fresh blueberries. Brushed the tops with an egg wash and air fried for 10 minutes on 400 degrees. To. Die. For.
  • Katla49
    When I retired from teaching the school district offered to keep me on their health plan until I was eligible for Oregon Public employees health insurance. I was able to choose between two plans. Now I am still able to choose plans through MODA. I feel lucky.
  • Jaxsgma
    Jaxsgma Posts: 55 Member
    Rita - looking forward in seeing a picture of your baby sun hat, you've been a busy lady.

Another great day for me. I stayed on my diet, never veered at anytime, proud of myself.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Made the cookies decided just to make cookie muffins. Cookie mix in a muffin pan 350* for 10-15 min (20 if you don’t preheat). No mess easy to eat I use alternative ingredients to add in like unsweetened almond milk 🥛.

Cookie cups full of cheese cake decided too much work since I cooked to cleaned all day long y exercising so 5:24pm 1st I’ve sat down today. Made a stack of premade quesadillas just grab out if the Tupperware toss on the quesadilla warmer. Soup made yesterday y squash to go with chicken I just cooked for hubby. He bucking the Vegan diet the Doctor wants him fully on again. Lol

Amber Tx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Well i am outside with the pooch as it is hotter than the shades of Haties inside...made Faith a big supper and all she does is lie around all day.. so I brought my laptop in her room and we put on rogers and Hammerstein Carousel the broadway play and she ate her dinner while watching i actually got her to sit in a chair ... but because she doesnt get around alot it took me a bit to get her up and back to the bed..now she had her pills and is zonked for the night...
    Very hard to redirect and when its sundown time that can be rough.. but we get through it..
  • Katla49
    Allie:

Your work is so valuable to Faith. Her life is better because of you. I suspect her family is grateful and relieved that she is in good hands. ❤️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    Did a Dressed Up Drills DVD. There are a couple of different forms of programs, so I’ll just have to try the different ones. I tried a Mix and Match, not crazy about it since you have to stop all the time and go to a different cardio section. I’ll try another type next time. The plan for tomorrow is to do an Ultimate Weight Training Cardio Workout DVD.

They’re opening restaurants at 6 tonight. Some restaurants aren’t opening until later in the week to give their workers a nice Memorial Day weekend or in some cases waiting for supplies. There is a big thing about disposable menus. FINALLY! I always felt that the type of menu that restaurants had really harbored bacteria. I remember years ago Dixie Crossroads in FL had the menu as their placemat. They used to have good food at a reasonable price. It’s still good food, but after Emeril Lagasse interviewed them, the prices went waaay up. They changed to those booklet-type menus. Now they’ll be going back. Wonder how many restaurants will think to use them as a placemat?

Evelyn – I sing in the car, too. Actually, more in the car than in the shower.

Making yogurt. I went into the laundry room to put the wet clothes in the dryer and when I came out, the milk was bubbling up. I know that it’s over 180 degrees so now I’m just cooling the milk down. Wish I had some of the ice cubes from the soup kitchen.

I’m thinking that I’m getting a stye on my eyelid. Never had one before but it’s hurting a bit when I close my eyelid and this morning it looked like in that area the eyelid was a bit puffy. Well, at least my vision isn’t affected.

Pretty lucky, I haven’t gained during this stay-at-home stuff. On the bad side haven’t lost either.

Glad that I cleaned out my pantry, etc when I did so I could return things to the stores. Now they aren’t taking returns. I was thinking today. If it’s true that WalMart is no longer allowing people to try on clothes and they aren’t taking returns, all you have to do is wash the clothing in hot water. That kills the virus. They’re always recommending that you wash your clothes after going out, so what is the difference?

Lisa – I don’t know how many times lately I’ve thought to myself how good it is that I have so many exercise DVD’s, that I’ve been accumulating them for a long time now. Now I have variety. There are so many people who don’t have any equipment or DVD’s to do and just rely on walking as their exercise. I very very seldom do that mani/pedi thing. Mainly because I can’t see spending the money on my nails. I know this is a throwback to my grandparents having raised me. They would NEVER spend the money. Hey, they wiped off aluminum foil to reuse it and they dried bread/rolls, etc to make breadcrumbs rather than buying them. I know that my grandmother would never in a million years pay to have someone do her nails. It’ll be a while before I get my hair cut. Hey, I’ve lived this long, I’ll live a bit more. Plus, I’m sure there’ll be some “blips” when hair salons first open. They just can’t think of everything. So I’ll wait until they get them all worked out. I do miss going to the gym and I’ll at first only go to the one that always was super clean.

Steve was telling me about a meme he saw. There is this “lady of the night” leaning on a car saying in a very seductive voice “I’ll do anything for $50”. This guy says to her “great, can you cut hair?”

Tonya – the only store around here that sells dry ice is Ingles

Karen VA – we took one of our cats to the groomer to trim the “private parts”. Well, he’s long-haired and he had diarrhea. So you can imagine what it was like. Also, he really doesn’t care for people doing anything in that area. Many times he gets mats there and cutting them out is somewhat of a project.

Just need to get this off my chest. I just ignore these things. There is the one lady who goes to ceramics with us. She’s always saying about how she’s going to this concert and that concert. Then she posts things like “we should have free college. My daughter’s tuition is XXX” Now she’s posting something about her son needing his wisdom teeth removed and he has to have it done at a hospital and it’ll cost over $2,000. One time I tried to say to her on Facebook “part of being a parent is sacrificing for your children. Maybe you shouldn’t go to all these concerts and stay at hotels, but rather put that money toward your children’s future”. She just countered with “you’re saying that people shouldn’t enjoy themselves” You sacrifice. Now I just don’t say anything to her because she feels she’s right and the world is wrong.

Going to make some garlic bread for Vince for tonight. I’m just waiting right now for 2 slices to defrost enough so that I can break them apart. Wish I was as good as Lisa and can make my own!

Barbie – how thoughtful of your class to do

Not very windy so I strung some popcorn today. Going to try to finish the tree skirt tonight then I’ll probably make a scarf for the gal who helps me a lot with my crochet

Rita – adorable hats

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,932 Member
    ☘️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    (((Heather~Ros)))

Luci OMG you are related to the Menuhins. I am gobstopped. Wow. Just wow. I wish NYKaren was still here. Girl.

Pip I am just warming up. You wench, you.

LISA!!! Can't wait to see what you do next! You are an ever-moving stream, my dear. GSA is a good organization, but it's an organization. Has its limits like all others. You have always had an entrepreneurial spirit. I wonder if you will reinvent yourself in a true one woman show…or just enjoy retirement…or go to work for someone else again (nah…). <3

Karen in Virginia

Still waiting
  • KetoneKaren
    Irish Terri You are a beautiful woman. <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    stats for the day:

didn't ride to wrk, just because...

Bike ride home 2 dome- 12.51min, 134mhr, 12.9amph, 2.76mi= 65c
    Apple Watch- 85c
    Bike ride puy 2 sumn sta- 15.50min, 13.6amph, 156mhr, 3.60mi= 164c
    apple watch- 144c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.14min, 143mhr, 9.56min mi, .52mi= 57c
    apple watch- 59c
    jog wrk 2 sta, windy!- 4.31min, 9.53min mi, 178mhr, .45mi= 59c
    apple watch- 57c
    bike ride dome 2 home, 15mph WINDS!- 19.37min, 7.9amph, 154mhr, 2.56mi= 197c
    apple watch- 150c

total cal 542
  • KetoneKaren
    View from my window

cz75zqabwp45.png
    hk15pw57e2b5.png
    v2wzblj3z1u7.png
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    Luci - I loved Glen Campbell but my first crush was Kenny Rogers. So many great musicians have passed now.

Lisa - it’s good that you are able to make that decision with peace in your heart.

Allie - we talked at work today about how Alzheimer’s residents eat heartily and often. Our Rehab Therapist told us how a lady she worked with in another facility battled anorexia her whole life and it seemed she forgot and gained weight.

Karen in VA - my grandmother bought an electric organ at the age of 67 and took her first lessons. My brother enjoyed playing around so much that they ended up paying for him to have lessons as well. The two of them travelled together every Saturday morning about 25 miles for their weekly lessons for about 2 or 3 years. I must ask my brother if he could still play.

Heather - hugs to you. It must be so difficult to lose a friend.

Katla - I so agree about mani’s I have stopped too. I do paint my nails myself fairly regularly and I love a pedi but haven’t had one in a couple of years.

Amber - I see that the hand sanitizer exploding has been debunked. The original fire department that shared it has since apologized.

Michele - Does all of the stuff you do for Christmas year long make you not like the season as much? We can’t think about doing our ornaments in the summer because we don’t want to think about Christmas.

I had to wear a mask at work today once for maybe 10 minutes and then again for about 5 minutes. My face broke out again. I stopped and bought some hydrocortisone on the way home and my boss told me to try another brand of mask next week.

I am off now until Wednesday so that will give my face a break. We are building a deck this weekend.
    Our daughter that married last summer has put an offer in on their first home. It is in a beach area outside of the city. The crossroads are Leisure Lane and Lazy Link. The names do not suit them at all, my SIL has 3 jobs 1 full time and 2 part time. I told her maybe driving home will remind him to relax. I hope they get it.

Tracey in Edmonton