WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) I got up feeling excited about another day at home and beautiful weather for working in the yard this morning. Then Jake announces that we are in desperate need of laundry soap and won't last the weekend and he'll go get some today, if I won't. I know that there is enough to do at least six loads which will be more than enough to allow me to wait until next week to go to Costco which had been my plan. But a miracle happens and I don't snap back at him. Instead I remember one of my shelter at home mantras--"do what's best for the relationship". So my answers is "Sure, I can go to Costco today".

:) What a great solution for you to get to care for Faith and go the beach, too.

:) I have had to stop watching the news. There is so much misinformation out there much of it intended to get people all riled up.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    BeUncommon wrote: »
    Machka > Oh really? I thought you simply just have to press the button and help would come?

Um ... well ... sort of ...

These are just some of the instructions ...

• Press SOS button for 3 seconds until it vibrates … it will call list of phone numbers until real person replies.
    • Press SOS button once to stop calling.
    • Press side button until it vibrates … it will ring my phone.

Now suppose you've just had a tonic clonic seizure and you've finally come out of it enough so that you're aware of your surroundings. What possible chance will you have of remembering any of those instructions??? :neutral:

"Fortunately", I guess, if he did have a seizure, when he fell it is supposed to notice that and start going through that list of phone numbers.

Oh, and you have to put 5 phone numbers in. I don't have 5 people to call so I ended up using things like my mobile number and my work number etc. The fifth is Triple 0.

Different ones are different, and if I had to purchase one, I'd do a lot more investigation but we were given a choice of two and this one seemed a bit better than the other one.

M in Oz
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    HEATHER ~ They look like they are having so much fun! :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2020
    Lisa: I wouldn’t be surprised at anything the “leadership” decides to do. My guess is that one person wanted you gone and others realize how much you do for the organization. They may not want to lose your help. It will be interesting to see what happens among them. As long as you end up happy, I’ll be happy for you. :flowerforyou:

Pip: You have a big list of to-dos and I’m betting you’ll get every one of them done. :star:

Machka: In our area the fire department does emergency health support. If they can’t get the issue under control they take the person to the closest hospital. I had to call them for DH a few months ago. He’s diabetic and had an extremely low blood sugar episode. I gave DH sucrose tabs, called 911 and the fire department’s paramedics came. They saved his life by giving him intravenous glucose. If needed, they would have taken him to the nearest hospital, about 30 miles away. Luckily, their IV glucose got the job done. Years ago my aunt fell and got trapped in her bathroom. She had a device that automatically called the paramedics when she pressed the button. They had to break into her house to get her to the hospital. She had terminal cancer and eventually passed away at the hospital. Would your DH be able to get a similar device?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Heather the picture of the grandkids is just heart warming, Bea is so full of energy <3

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    Amber - That was a very interesting video. I expected the portions to be larger, but all those extra ingredients, the hydrogenated fats ugh! Plus, what were they doing to the fries?!! Colouring?!
    Our diet is pretty grim in the UK , but the S.A.D. diet is really sad. (Standard American Diet) Now you ladies on here are all eating clean, right? :D
    Tonight's dinner is skate with beurre noir and capers and asparagus. <3:D<3:D Not a chemical in sight!

Went for my 5k along the seafront. Knee was grumbling, but it survived. I forgot to strap it. Luckily there was a breeze, but it was a bit hot for me in the sun. However, I made it home, just about. :)
    Quite a few people on the beach, but quite good separation of groups. The only people we saw ignoring guidelines were boys about 13-14, who were walking together, or playing football. Hope they are not visiting their granny next week. :# It would have been half term this week, so I guess a lot of people had holidays booked that they can't go to. My lot should have been in Malta with the other grandparents.

When we got home I found a card from the Royal Mail, who had tried to deliver my pistachio oil. It has to be signed for, so I have been online and rescheduled delivery for Saturday. I guess they need a signature because it's quite expensive. It was meant to be a present for my son, but he wanted a heart monitor instead. I'm happy to enjoy the pleasure.

This has been one of the driest Mays ever. We had the sunniest ever April and the wettest February. :o Now we really do need rain. Everything is looking very parched.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Heather - LOVE the pics of the kids - is Bea really as big as Edie? And if so, is Edie tiny, or is Bea growing super quick? They all look like they're having loads of fun...

Karen - Of course I think you're strange. What's that got to do with your relationship? :smiley: Bahahahahah....

And thanks for the advice on work. As every hour goes by, I feel myself making one more step away from caring... and that goes back to something I've said for many years. Love and hate are two sides of a single coin, and both mean that your emotions are still deeply engaged. The true opposite of both love and hate is indifference.

Later,
    Lisa in AR
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    >>>

Are all of you confused about how I ended up with a woman? Me too. All I can say is You Love Who You Love. Ours is a platonic relationship, based on mutual interests, goals, values...and love. Do you think me strange? I like to think I'm just not governed by convention.

>>>

Karen in Virginia

:)Karen, It is so great to live in a time and place where you can be who you are and love who you love.
  • 1948Peachy
    BARBIE ~ Love the kitty on the plaid blanket. It looks warm! :)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,789 Member
    B)
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    So true wish their was healthier ingredients. This is why the prices vary too in our countries. States prices vary too in America.Some family members shock omg Texas is so exspensive!! Others say OMG Texas is so cheap!! Lol 😂 we all live in the same country are purchasing the same items. Now one thing you may have not noticed many Vegans here eat fries y a salad at McDonald’s if you ask if it’s Vegan they say yes but leave out the Beef Flavoring they use! Is it meat based or artificial??

Amber Tx

Feel bad for the poor Man names Floyd who died saw a photo y video 3 officers were on top of him at once.Here after the fact find out he was innocent committed No Crime.
    Hubby said he’s glad his similar incident that happened to him did not turn out deadly. Customer called because she expected a white man not brown to give them a estimate for a job. She escalated it making it sound like life or death for her. Hubby was just sitting in his truck on the public road waiting to be greeted, making Buisness calls while he waited pre-doing the estimate paperwork so it would save time, by her husband to get to work on their job. Guns drawn roughness why because she over reacted to the color of his skin. He thought he was going to die never see us again. Now their complaining no estimate was given. The Former Customer can get a shovel y supplies at HomeDepot get to work themselves safer that way. Not worth the money .Sometimes I wonder about folks why they justify their behaviors.

Eating right y exercising same ole’ same ole’
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Minneapolis is the sister city to where I live. I live in St. Paul... so yes we need your prayers. As some of you know my son who has a mental illness was tased and arrested in his bed last year by eight police officers. He had a non violent warrant out on him that I did not know about. He missed a court date because of his illness. The only reason the court issued the warrant was because they thought he was suicidal. It did not make any sense to me either. They did nothing to deescalate the situation. They threatened me with obstruction of justice and bashing in our door to arrest him. I was in the middle of a mental health crisis with our son and was trying to get him to the hospital when this happened. So I too have witnessed the police at their worst. Fortunately my son was not killed. If he had any sort of weapon he would have been.

This trauma only made his mental illness worse. This recent tragedy brings this back this back for both my son and me.

At the time I wrote both mayors and the chief of police saying there needs to be a different kind of training. The sad thing the mayor of Minneapolis wanted to start deescalating training of the Minneapolis at that time he was over ruled by the Police Union. I don't know if that training had been in place this tragedy could have been avoided. No one stepped in to deescalate the police officer that day for us. It is like they act like soldiers and support each other even if one is out of line. This is what needs to change!!!! The consequence was too high for not stopping that officer that day for our son and for George Floyd.

We are getting the three year old refrigerator fixed at son's house today and then it outside to plant some flowers and a long walk by the lake with masks now.

Our mayor instituted a mandatory mask policy. I am glad depending what grocery you go into it is between 30-70%.

:heart: Margaret
  • 1948Peachy
    REBECCA ~ I can't decide who Athena looks like cause all three of them look alike in the photo! :)

Carol in GA