I need an Emotional Eating support posse.

124»

Replies

• DeterminedKins
    DeterminedKins Posts: 26 Member
    rheinn1979 wrote: »
    Instead of committing to 7 days, can you commit to 3? How about one day? How about one meal? Start small, with commitments you know you can keep. We are here to cheer you on. *kitten*, I'm on my 16th commitment of the day. Every hour I will commit to making healthy choices, despite what family/loved ones say or throw at me, (especially strawberry shortcake... Mmmm). I log every bite of food, every calorie taken in. I don't measure the stuff that doesn't matter to me (yet) like water, fats, carbs, blah blah blah. I can't do it yet. I don't have the mental capacity to track all that stuff AND stress about kids, life, Pandemic, work, money, messy house. Since I can't sell the kids, I will just track calories.

It's been 3 weeks for me, with a day off for Mother's Day (because my hubby's strawberry shortcake really is that good) with no regrets. In one week, I will move to daily commitments. It's super hard though. With hourly, if you fall off track it's really easy to hop back on the next hour. You can't really fail a whole day. You just have some hiccups. By switching to the daily version, it's more risk, you know? Because if you accidentally go over, you risk just saying screw it and the whole day gets tossed.

I used to have a reminder in my phone. Every hour, log. Even if it was that one wheat thin I snuck from the kids' snacks. It's habit now, if my hand is near my face, my phone is in my other hand trying to record calories. I've been at 1300 calories for 2 weeks now, and I've pretty much hit that target every day. It's not easy, but it's progress. (And more progress I've made than the last 8 years combined.)

Also, try writing down alternatives actions when angry. Punch pillow, scream loudly, take a cold shower, go for a swim, walk the dog, throw a ball really hard. Anything other than food.

You got this, mermaid.

mermaidnj wrote: »
    hello all... I am glad to see some new faces all of us at diffrent stages in our journeys..

Did not do well with the logging the last few days so much for my 7 day plan! I have come to realize in the last few days that I eat when I'm angry.. a complicated emotion for me comming from a family bacround where anger was just" not done " well at least not visably .. Always raised to be nice ,turn the other cheek, forgive and forget well you get the point..

So the thought orrured to me that aong with stuffing those feelings with food wieght is a way to say if you can't see how angry I am I make you see it!

Hope all had a pleasent weekend and any of you mothers enjoyed your day yesterday..

This is amazing!!! Hourly goals, what a fantastic idea!! Thank you, I think you might have just really helped!
  • DeterminedKins
    Hi everyone, I’m kind of new to this platform but I also struggle with emotional eating and looking to connect with other people with similar issues.
    I would definitely like to lose a little bit of weight but the main thing is getting to a place where food is no longer a an emotional crutch for me. I’m thinking that using MFP to just document my food as non-judgementally as possible and become aware of where my weaknesses are.

Not sure if you're still on, but I feel the same way. More than happy to accept friend requests on here if you need someone
  • DeterminedKins
    edited March 2022
    @mermaidnj just refound this group. I'm on every day. Feel free to add if you like!
  • kamaboko1
    kamaboko1 Posts: 28 Member
    On day one. It's about this time of the day I jump in my car and go to the store to pick up around 3K calories of cookies. Brutal.
  • mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    edited March 2022
    Happy Saturday beauties, big slip yesterday let emotions got the best of me it was not worth being sick all night and food hang over this morning.. was feeling the need of something uplifting cheerful and empowering. Music is my go to thought I would share..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SKFwtgUJHs

• mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    kamaboko1 wrote: »
    On day one. It's about this time of the day I jump in my car and go to the store to pick up around 3K calories of cookies. Brutal.

you got this and if you don't you will.. :)
  • GwynLeder
    GwynLeder Posts: 101 Member
    i am also looking for the same things. count me in
  • noel9889
    noel9889 Posts: 5 Member
    Same here! Open to friend requests
  • GwynLeder
    GwynLeder Posts: 101 Member
    hi all I think I am concuring emtoinal eating. I am more in control of what i eat
  • DeterminedKins
    Hi everyone!!! Hope you have a successful day, and if you're struggling, let us know!
  • allieberri
    allieberri Posts: 37 Member
    Just got here...i loved the post about hourly commitment. i believe i need to do just that. a commitment to look after me, love me just like i look after and take care of everyone else...now...how to not feel guilty about that.
  • kinden14
    kinden14 Posts: 3 Member
    Looks like I might have found the right group! Went through 5 weeks at eating disorders clinic in my 30s (70 now) so, like an alcoholic, I'm not cured but it's been decades since a binge so that's something. I eat when I'm lonely (which is most of the time at this age, unfortunately), depressed, stressed, etc. I must get in shape to broaden my social life and be healthy enough to take my granddaughter to Europe in 10 years. I want to show her all the places I loved while I lived there. I know I can do it because I've done it before - and that's the problem. Get it off and keep it off is my ultimate goal. Thanks for letting me join. If I can help anyone with encouragement or just an understanding ear (or eye in this case), please let me know. Kay
  • allieberri
    Heh Kay, you are an inspiration. You will be my guiding light today. I just turned sixty in May. I want no more yo-yo life.
    Thanks for posting
  • hayds342
    hayds342 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Hi Kay, I feel your story about its a life time thing. Recently completed Noom and gained heaps of tools to help with this. Continuing my journey. Dearly hoping this page is active. Sarah
  • hayds342
    Visitors coming tmrw for dinner, I have made the main course now so tmrw I only need to make a salad and light dessert. That's taken the stress out of it so hopefully I wont stress eat tmrw.
  • hayds342
    All I need to do is clean the house for visitors so pleased I prepped food yesterday. No stress today yay and I have plenty of time to exercise.
  • allieberri
    Feeling totally stressed out - have my grandson living with us this week...his younger years were spent primarily with his mother who has addiction issues. My son finally got custody 2 years ago and it is an uphill battle. He is trying out the working business - but we have some manual labor for him to do and it is really not his cup of tea.
    My husband and him both have ADHD - and man, when they left this morning I really, really wanted to eat something - and then I realized I had just eaten...distracted myself with doing laundry and am now here.
    Hang in there everyone. Remember the end goal - to eat for health and wellness not stress.