Store Bought Freezer Meals

2»

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    Deleted

I'm sorry you took down your post about Birds Eye Protein Blends. I remember that these were the "least horrible" of the frozen "steamer bags." And, they do deserve a try:

zk8tid84f71t.jpg

Lol, thank you, I was thinking of editing my post AGAIN!

OP, a friend of mine loves these. He eats them regularly.

They are all plant-based, so you could add your choice of protein. There are a number of varieties.

For this Tuscan one (which is reasonable calorie-wise, I would add a 140g of frozen shrimp to this lightly sauteed with crushed red pepper flakes.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,591 Member
    If you hate making veggie and starchy sides to go with your protein an easy solution is jacket potato or sweet potato cooked in the microwave and any vegetable you can serve steamed cooked in the packet in the microwave.

For the potatoes, prick all over with a fork so that steam can escape to prevent explosions. Microwave on high 6-9 minutes depending on size of potatoes and strength of your microwave. Start with six minutes and give a squeeze to check if tender before microwaving further. If you are cooking for more people, a larger quantity of potatoes in the microwave will take longer. A single sweet potato is about 5 minutes total.

For veg such as green beans, sugar snaps, green asparagus, tenderstem broccoli cut a corner off the bag it's sold in so steam can escape. Microwave on high a minute, then flip the bag over and microwave another minute. Test if it is almost cooked enough to your liking. At this point cut open the bag, and rinse off the veg before warming up another 30-60 seconds in a microwave safe serving dish.

It might take a little practice to get the timing right so that everything is ready at the same time.