Covid Cooking

Options
2»

Replies

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    After a couple of months of stay-home lockdown, and spotty resupply (and delivery issues), it is easy - and refreshing - to enjoy the simple pleasures of grilled fresh chicken. Making pantry stores varied, palatable, nutritious and meet our healthy meal plan goals is a chore, day after day.

xpx5nxxfwtuz.jpg
  • bluej85
    bluej85 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We've only been to get groceries three times in the last month and a half. I cook a lot under normal circumstances anyway although nothing fancy, so it's not been too dramatic a change. But I've been having to get a lot more creative with leftovers for sure since we're trying so hard to save money and avoid waste right now.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I've baked something every day for the last 3 weeks. So far, the pineapple upside down cake and apple raisin bread seem to be the house favorites.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I checked out two skinnytaste cookbooks from the library right before quarantine and they don't want them returned until after all this so I've had a lot of time to check them out. There's a lot of stuff I wasn't able to get everything for and I'm not shopping as much so I'm trying to choose recipes from those I do happen to have most of the ingredients for. A couple nights ago I made the Giant Parmesan Turkey meatball. Luckily my farmer's market is putting together boxes of produce and selling them at a certain pick-up time at a stand so I've done that the last few weeks, it's great to have produce again. I have a bunch of fresh herbs so I add them to olive oil and top on things like potatoes and zucchini.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    We have a bread machine and those bags of bread mix have been unavailable for a while. When we started making the bread from scratch we were struggling to buy yeast at first, so used yeast I bought years ago from when I houseguest wanted to make dutch doughnuts. The yeast was about 3 years past it's "best before" date. We needed to increase the amount of yeast by 50% to even get a fairly dense loaf. Have managed to score yeast since then so the hubby chucked the old yeast. Hopefully we won't run out and regret chucking it.

If you find a good sized container or it or even sachets I guess. Put it in the freezer. Mine lasts for ever in there.