Calorie Counter

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Looking backwards

stewartcampbell47stewartcampbell47 Member Posts: 4 Member Member Posts: 4 Member
I love the App, I have a set of Renpho scales and a fitbit, all work well together.
I started calorie counting when my weight reached a level which impacted my health.
I have been doing it for 24.3 weeks.
I have lost 13.15 lbs
I am 72 yes old.

I Wanted to compare my results with the expected predictions, to check if my portion sizes were accurate, I know my step counts are recorded and reasonable. Typically 10,000 per day gardening etc.

So the prediction is a reduction of 3500 calorie = 1 kg per week which is a reasonable and maintainable loss rate.

So my calcs show 13.15 lost over 24.3 wks = average loss of .54 kg per week a reduction of 1894 calorie per week,.! I am happy with the results but I think it shows me my portion sizes may be inaccurate. I was aiming for 1500 a day

Stewart

Replies

• stewartcampbell47stewartcampbell47 Member Posts: 4 Member Member Posts: 4 Member
    13.15 kg NOT lbs
  • LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 746 Member Member Posts: 746 Member
    Well, there are two options actually: errors in measuring your intake and/or your fitbit is overestimating your calorie burn.

But the biggest error I can see here is a math issue :smile:
    1lb = 3500 kcal
    1kg = 7700 kcal!
  • PAV8888PAV8888 Member Posts: 7,143 Member Member Posts: 7,143 Member
    Your general idea is correct, except that 3500 Cal corresponds to 1lb or 0.4546kg.

Thus you're currently losing remarkably close to your targeted rate.

Well. Except for the fact that 10K steps would make you ACTIVE as opposed to sedentary, which probably explains why you're actually losing slightly faster than the 500 Cal a day you've been aiming for.

You should NOT be aiming for 1500 a day. Your current rate of loss is actually PLENTY fast enough unless you are in the morbidly obese range. Think of it this way... how much will you weight in 52 weeks at your current rate of loss?

At your current age bracket, protecting your existing lean mass is quite important, and picking a reasonable loss rate is a major step towards achieving this!
  • stewartcampbell47stewartcampbell47 Member Posts: 4 Member Member Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you for your comments.
    When I started I was sedentary, the walking has been a part of my plan.
    I had a number of plateaus which only lasted a few days.
    I do feel significantly better, while not having much strength,
    Sorry I had used the 3500 to 1 lb as a reasonable achieveable target.
    My goal is to NOT have any figures above average for my age & height, My Doctor is telling me to just get to 80 kg.
    My problem is living in France where the food is a national obsession, so calorie counting enables me to enjoy my food.
    I take your point about lean mass and will read up on it.

THANKS AGAIN

Stewart
    :) I posted to this section, because I am sure the data recorded in the app, could be used in a way which would help people keep their goals and targets under review.
    I became concerned about my portion control and wanted a way of confirming I was doing the right thing.
    Stewart