REI 20% off coupon

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
I'm curious how other people plan to use theirs.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Didn't get one yet.

Was yours sent electronically or by mail?

There's not much that I need but, if I get one, I'd just order something online.that I often use, like a pair of ripstop nylon pants w/zip off lower legs or a 3/4 zippered long sleeved mid layer pullover, which are things that I wear daily, whether I go hiking or not.

The last thing I bought at REI was a large 30 oz thermal French Press that I use everyday. It beats the heck out of the typical glass beaker versions that can't keep the coffee hot for long. The thermal FP can keep the coffee hot for an hr or more and the locking top w/the pour spout prevents spills which is also a probem w/the glass ones. So, I might buy another one of these thermal FPs too.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I gravitate towards backpacks, shoes, and jackets... but there isn't much I really need right now, especially with stores still being closed for regular retail business.

I could use a new pair of hiking boots, but I'd want to be able to try them on first. I have enough pending returns with REI for things I've ordered in recent weeks that don't fit right.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Didn't get one yet.

If you're a member, you just have it automatically as part of your membership. You can use it once as a code online. They only let you use it on full price things, it's part of a sale they do a few times a year, so a lot is already marked down, and not eligible.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I used my previous coupon on a very bright flashlight for night hiking.

The clothing I like is already on sale (everywhere). I need a new helmet, and could benefit from a new pair of bike shoes ... but I need to try both of those on before making a decision so I'm not sure.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I have the coupon plus a dividend to spend...I'm not sure if I will though. I'm trying to eliminate/limit non-essential spending at the moment, and there's nothing that I NEED from REI right now. Especially since summer hiking vacations are not happening.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I have the coupon plus a dividend to spend...I'm not sure if I will though. I'm trying to eliminate/limit non-essential spending at the moment, and there's nothing that I NEED from REI right now. Especially since summer hiking vacations are not happening.

Im in the same place. I have my dividend still as well and also trying to keep to “need” purchases. And while I really try to logic my way into it, I don’t “need” a new Garmin (plus the coupon doesn’t work on those anyway).
  • sgt1372
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Didn't get one yet.

If you're a member, you just have it automatically as part of your membership. You can use it once as a code online. They only let you use it on full price things, it's part of a sale they do a few times a year, so a lot is already marked down, and not eligible.

Been a member for 40 yrs. How time flies!

I'll have to logon and take a look. Never get any emails from them.
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Didn't get one yet.

PS: The only thing I get from REI is the annual dividend statement.

Forget when that's usually mailed out but I believe it's during the summer or fall.

Use to get some seasonal ad mailers too but haven't seen one in a long time
  • sgt1372
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Ok, so I "found" the discount coupon on the REI Outlet site which is good until 5/25 and will give you an ADDITIONAL 20% off any Outlet item (with a price ending in .73).

Went thru almost every page of the Outlet and didn't really "need" anything but I decided to buy a 64 oz Hydro Flash growler (for beer) because I have a "glass growler jug" that cost me $8 in my frig right now that I want to replace.

The retail price of the growler was $65, the Outlet Price was $45.73 and the further discounted price was $36.58. Shipping and sales tax increased the cost to $45.59 but I was able to apply my dividend to reduce the total cost to just $20.22.

So, now I've got a insulated growler to take my beer w/me anywhere. LOL!!!
  • NorthCascades
    Options

They have my number. These 20% coupon sales actually give me some anxiety. The only thing I need is a sleeping bag (long story) and want to buy it from a small company instead. But in the back of my head, there's a voice telling me I'm forgetting something and I'll wind up paying full price if I don't get it right, now.

I'll probably wind up using it on socks, brake pads for my bike, or something like that.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Didn't get one yet.

It looks like to use the coupon in the non outlet section, you enter the same code (ANNV20) during checkout. They'll only let you do it once until the next sale - once in the outlet, once in the full price section.

Or, of course, you don't have to. I'm just trying to help clarify because I'm OCD about using mine.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    got a nice big-guy beach/camp chair.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Looks like a second ice ax. I'm meeting a friend to hike with tomorrow, we're going to have to turn back early because she lost hers. I've been wanting a longer one for scrambling anyway, would be nice to be able to lend in a pinch.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

At least spend your dividend! It’s free money that you earned and costs you nothing to spend.
  • sgt1372
    edited May 2020
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

At least spend your dividend! It’s free money that you earned and costs you nothing to spend.

The dividend (like cash back on credit cards) really isn't FREE but is a commercial benefit that you "earned" by paying for it by making other purchases.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options

The dividend doesn’t expire until 2022, so I’ll wait until I need something to use that. It’s like $25, so there’s not much I could get at REI that would not require me spending more money than what my dividend would cover.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

The dividend (like cash back on credit cards) really isn't FREE but is a commercial benefit that you "earned" by paying for it by making other purchases.

REI is famously expensive, but if poke around it's hard to find the same item for less. I mean you can obviously get a rain coat for less than $600, but if you want the Patagonia or North Face one, unless you find a sale, it's the same price everywhere. The dividend is 10% of what you spent, which is like paying 90% instead of full price.

(For what it's worth, you don't get dividend on anything on sale including what you used your 20% on.)
  • NorthCascades
    Options

The dividend doesn’t expire until 2022, so I’ll wait until I need something to use that. It’s like $25, so there’s not much I could get at REI that would not require me spending more money than what my dividend would cover.

I think you can get it as cash after a year or two instead of spending it at the store. I've never done that so I can't tell you much more.

I spent mine a month ago on an "emergency goretex jacket" which is a perplexing thing to call it. But I needed one like it, it was in my favorite clothing color (I have a hat, shirts, pants, shoes, and a backpack that match exactly) and it's easier to spend what feels like monopoly money. Cost me $8 out of pocket. 😁

I was hiking last summer, a lady stopped to tell me my shirt is exactly the color of such and such glacial lake, I smiled and told her that's why I bought it.

Arc_teryx_Zeta_SL_Jacket_Herren_dark_firoza[280x280].jpg?forceSize=true&forceAspectRatio=true&useTrim=true