How do people like exercise??

13»

Replies

• donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    edited June 2020
    creesama wrote: »
    Thank you for suggesting these! I walked a bit outside this morning with my kids, but felt like I could do more. So while my toddler napped and my 4 month old was content in his swing, I was able to squeeze in a 15 min video of hers! I'm realizing there's no excuse for me not to find 15 min in my day for myself. I might have to really squeeze it in on work days, but 15 min isn't even a full episode of some sitcom, so I can definitely do this. Hopefully I'll be able to find variety so I don't get tired of the same things.

This is awesome, go you!

The only thing I would add to the already great advice here is to be open to a sense of mind-body connection. I was never athletic as a kid, I basically hated anything I wasn't good at immediately, which was everything physical. In my teens and twenties I had a really negative relationship with exercise, I saw it only as a way to control my body (and I hated my body) and psychologically I considered it boring, uncomfortable, punishing, all sorts of unhelpful things.

For me this changed with yoga, which really emphasizes the role of your mind in cultivating a healthy body. The things I feel when I practice yoga--strong, calm, stable, flexible just to name a few--are things that I now believe about myself, my whole self. So practice this connection. You don't have to take up yoga to do it. Based on your description you might say kindly to yourself, "Hey, I have more capacity than I give myself credit for" and "I make time for myself". Let physical activity become a way of being good to yourself, you've got this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    creesama wrote: »
    I've struggled with exercising since grade school. Now I'm a 30 year old mom of a 2 1/2 year old and 4 month old working 3 days a week and keeping up with life the best I can. I'm morbidly obese and starting to eat better, but I just can't figure out how to enjoy exercise or how to set myself up better for success. What do you guys do?

I think often times people have a very myopic view of what constitutes exercise...and that it has to be droning away on some piece of cardio equipment or jumping around in your living room to some DVD or this or that class, etc...people also get stuck on this notion that it has to be this crazy intense thing and that if you don't feel like you're about to puke, you didn't do enough.

Outside of spin classes, I do not like any of what I just mentioned...but I enjoy regular exercise. I like getting on my road bike and going for a ride or hitting some trails on my mountain bike...walking my dog...going for a hike in the mountains...skiing in winter...playing some golf, etc. Sometimes I'll just get on the trampoline with my kids and play, or chase them around in the pool. All of that is exercise.

Just find something you enjoy doing that is active and gets your body moving...it doesn't have to be this formal "workout" thing.
  • creesama
    creesama Posts: 125 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    As an aside (with apologies to OP for digressing a little): I'm really enjoying the many "slippery slope" posts in this thread . . . the "I hated exercise, then I started this one thing, and it snowballed, and now I'm routinely active, and pretty fit, and feel great" stories. So good! :)

Thanks for starting the thread, OP!

No apology necessary! I completely agree! It's actually helped me to see that there's hope for me to not only find something enjoyable, but that someday I might actually want to exercise without feeling like it's a chore/punishment. You all have been so helpful. My mindset this go around feels different and I truly think it's because I started engaging with the community on here. This time I feel like I can really stick with it. Hooray!
  • avtlove
    avtlove Posts: 82 Member
    Could I just add one thing to my earlier comment?

I'd suggest that if you try something, maybe commit to do it a few times, even if it isn't fun at first (as long as it's not feeling like it'll be literally injurious in some way)?

For sure, keep the duration/frequency?intensity moderate at first, just a little bit of challenge . . . but not miserable.

It's 100% normal to do something the first time and feel awkward or uncoordinated, maybe even feel like it's undoable. It's unfamiliar, so that's natural. But if you can, give it another try or two after a couple of days or maybe the next week. Next time, some of that "newbie blues" tends to be out of the way, and it starts to seem more manageable, then in a few times, maybe even enjoyable.

Getting past that first, quite natural "Yikes!" or even "I can't" feeling, that can be part of the on-ramp to success.

(FWIW: I'm pretty active now, but was almost totally sedentary and inactive in my 40s, then after cancer and treatment (surgery-chemo-radiation) gradually getting more active, while obese. I ended up competing as an athlete in on-water & machine rowing a few years later. I'm not saying that's what you should do or even want to do, but I'm trying to say I have some empathy & experience going from being one of the kids picked last in gym class in school, to an inactive/obese adult, and then gradually becoming active when at an age where many people feel "too old." Before that, I would've laughed if someone had tried to tell me I'd end up strong and active in my 50s and beyond. If you make some gradual, enjoyable changes, you, too, may surprise yourself with what you can accomplish.)

Best wishes!

You are such an inspiration. I am 46 years old in a couple weeks and have been "somewhat" active off and on in my life. I have never really gotten into fitness in a measurable way. I've had 40-50 lbs to lose for the last 17 years, (since my last baby was born) and I kinda have been feeling like I'm getting too old to make these changes since most every success story I see is younger people with more energy. Then I see your posts and I understand that you mostly found health and fitness later in life and your killin' it. Just wanted you to know I am inspired by you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    avtlove wrote: »
    Could I just add one thing to my earlier comment?

I'd suggest that if you try something, maybe commit to do it a few times, even if it isn't fun at first (as long as it's not feeling like it'll be literally injurious in some way)?

For sure, keep the duration/frequency?intensity moderate at first, just a little bit of challenge . . . but not miserable.

It's 100% normal to do something the first time and feel awkward or uncoordinated, maybe even feel like it's undoable. It's unfamiliar, so that's natural. But if you can, give it another try or two after a couple of days or maybe the next week. Next time, some of that "newbie blues" tends to be out of the way, and it starts to seem more manageable, then in a few times, maybe even enjoyable.

Getting past that first, quite natural "Yikes!" or even "I can't" feeling, that can be part of the on-ramp to success.

(FWIW: I'm pretty active now, but was almost totally sedentary and inactive in my 40s, then after cancer and treatment (surgery-chemo-radiation) gradually getting more active, while obese. I ended up competing as an athlete in on-water & machine rowing a few years later. I'm not saying that's what you should do or even want to do, but I'm trying to say I have some empathy & experience going from being one of the kids picked last in gym class in school, to an inactive/obese adult, and then gradually becoming active when at an age where many people feel "too old." Before that, I would've laughed if someone had tried to tell me I'd end up strong and active in my 50s and beyond. If you make some gradual, enjoyable changes, you, too, may surprise yourself with what you can accomplish.)

Best wishes!

You are such an inspiration. I am 46 years old in a couple weeks and have been "somewhat" active off and on in my life. I have never really gotten into fitness in a measurable way. I've had 40-50 lbs to lose for the last 17 years, (since my last baby was born) and I kinda have been feeling like I'm getting too old to make these changes since most every success story I see is younger people with more energy. Then I see your posts and I understand that you mostly found health and fitness later in life and your killin' it. Just wanted you to know I am inspired by you.

That is so sweet and kind of you: I'm touched!

In many ways in life, I am completely my own special kind of slacker :lol: , but the weight loss/exercise thing does seem to have worked out OK, though really without a grand plan at the start or anything.

You absolutely can achieve whatever you set your mind to, and I think we even have some advantages with a little more age: We tend to know ourselves pretty well by this point ;) , so we have insights about how to exploit our strengths and dodge our limitations, to get the job done. Also, we usually have some experience at chipping away at other goals gradually but persistently over time (like raising good kids, improving our home, progressing in our career, etc.).

You are not too old for any of this. No one is too old for this.

Wishing you much success!
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Do Tiktok! 😊