Tips on sleeping better?

2»

Replies

• spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    I have a fan on in the summer and I will stretch before crawling into bed and then read an actual paper book under a dim reading light all tucked in. Always works for me. Last few nights I timed how long it takes for my eyelids to fall shut while reading. Average 6 minutes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Belated question: When you say "insomnia", what exactly do you mean?

Can't get to sleep?
    Fall asleep but wake up too soon?
    Can't fall back to sleep after wake up?
    Something else?
    Physical aspect (like twitching or discomfort that wakens you, clenched jaw, or that sort of thing)?
    Sleep not restful even when there's sleep?
    Headaches or sore throat after sleep?
    "Mind spinning" effect where you just keep thinking of things and can't relax?
    Something else?

I assume you're talking about "can't get to sleep" and some variation on the "mind spinning", since those are kind of typical, but lots of other things fall under "insomnia" as well, and it can make a difference.
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Have you lost a lot of weight? I lost nearly 20 kg, and my mattress was too hard for the lighter me. It took a while to realise what the problem was, I just had problems falling asleep, woke up lots of times, was uncomfortable... The solution was a topper, I bought one from ikea and now sleep like a baby.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Ease back into your schedule 15-30 min per day. It makes the transition easier.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Proper sleep hygiene should be a given (google it if you don't know).

If I really can't sleep then I have a couple of routine. I always make up little stories in bed and spin them further. Sometimes I revisit a good story line. Some of my longest ones run for 3-4 months, but of course I always have to repeat episodes as I do fall asleep at a certain time and am not sure where I stopped. This really helps me with keeping my mind off the thought of having to fall asleep. If I don't think about falling asleep I fall asleep quickly.

If this doesn't work then I concentrate on a special story line where not really a lot happens. Basically I'm in a small plane, or a passenger jet and something happens to the pilot. So i basically fly that thing with the help of a tower somewhere to the next airport and land it. Thinking of landing actually is what makes me fall asleep. I guess it's some kind of meditation where you feel a specific sensation in your body. Meditating consciously. just makes very very restless. Thus this is my way. Mind you, I did play flight simulator an awful lot back in the days.