Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Thin people have more gut microbes than fat people"

13»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Whenever someone starts going on and on about "gut health" and they aren't a proctologist, they are a quack selling snake oil.

Why would you word a post in a way to make it a false statement?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Whenever someone starts going on and on about "gut health" and they aren't a proctologist, they are a quack selling snake oil.

I have more of an issue with the message than the format. It's the old way of thinking.

A Proctologist is just an a-hole doc that operates from the colon to the *kitten*. Gastroenterologist would be more on target, but even they are studying the Microbiome with new enthusiasm.

Giliad, Merck, Bristol-Myers Squibb, AstraZenica, Chugai, Astellas -- these are all big Pharma companies with major investments in the Microbiome space. And their R&D leaders are generally Microbiologists, Computational Biologists, Geneticists with PhDs. Some of the brightest scientists being produced in the US. Not Proctologists though, for sure.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2020

I have more of an issue with the message than the format. It's the old way of thinking.

A Proctologist is just an a-hole doc that operates from the colon to the *kitten*. Gastroenterologist would be more on target, but even they are studying the Microbiome with new enthusiasm.

Giliad, Merck, Bristol-Myers Squibb, AstraZenica, Chugai, Astellas -- these are all big Pharma companies with major investments in the Microbiome space. And their R&D leaders are generally Microbiologists, Computational Biologists, Geneticists with PhDs. Some of the brightest scientists being produced in the US. Not Proctologists though, for sure.

Thanks for your report from the front lines. Many people may not understand how expensive it is to get to the bottom of this new area in human health. COVID-19 has put the human immune system in the spotlight for sure. We know the T cells are getting a lot of attention today.

The conference speaker below mentions our T cell immunity comes 100% from our gut microbiome. He lived from childhood with a potbelly and changed his focus in life after learning why. I rate him as very knowledgeable on his subject .

https://youtu.be/SRdEEC4i_3w

I notice with Chrome I have to highlight the link and tell it to go to the link to play his presentation.