July 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui I've never seen an octopus like that before. So cool. Love your night picture too.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    Went out in the lovely drizzle for a cool run and my first half marathon since 21st March. Managed my standard time of 2:18, felt good at 8 miles and was thinking maybe extend this to 15 miles, after 11 miles I was counting down the yards and working out where on the route I could stop running!
    Hahaha I haven't run a half yet, but this is often how I feel on my longer runs....around the middle I think I could do this all day long. Then a couple of miles later I just want to be done.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    7-1 7k slow
    7-2 7k slow
    7-3 7k between slow and easy
    7-4 7k ditto
    7-5 7k closer to easy
    7-6 rest
    7-7 7k slow
    7-8 7k easy
    7-9 7k slow
    7-10 7k slow
    7-11 7k easy
    7-12 7k slow
    7-13 rest
    7-14 7k slow
    7-15 rest
    7-16 7k closer to easy than slow
    7-17 7k closer to moderate than easy
    7-18 7k easy
    7-19 5k easy
    7-20 rest
    7-21 7k slow
    7-22 7k easy
    7-23 7k easy
    7-24 7k easy
    7-25 7k easy

July Total: 145k
    July Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k

2020 Total through June: 1056k / 176k per month

Sunny, mid 60s F, and no wind today. Just ran by feel; felt good in the shade, but it was a little warm in the sun.
    Said goodbye to Comet Neowise last night. Viewing conditions were perfect, but it's faded to being just a light smudge in a dark sky - couldn't even distinguish the tail. I did see a bat, so I donated some blood to the mosquitoes so they could make more bat food.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly Good to see you again! And yes ditto on the feeling great then sucks bit. Spin bike is great. I'm loving it.
    @HonuNui great pic!
    @Tramboman I'm great food for mosquitos as well.

7 miles yesterday. Actually went outside, was a light drizzle then stopped. Very humid 75f. Managed decent pace for miles 2-5. The rest were warm /cool down. Still came home a sweaty mess.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Went out in the lovely drizzle for a cool run and my first half marathon since 21st March. Managed my standard time of 2:18, felt good at 8 miles and was thinking maybe extend this to 15 miles, after 11 miles I was counting down the yards and working out where on the route I could stop running!

Yeah but you did it!

I have had a lot of Saturdays like that since March. As it has gotten hotter and I have learned to manage in the heat, i have even found myself having dread at the last few miles as opposed to adrenaline. Like - “I can’t believe I STILL HAVE two miles to go!” When you’ve been torturing yourself for a long time, any additional distance can feel like death, lol.

But YOU DID IT! GOOD JOB!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Yeah but you did it!

I have had a lot of Saturdays like that since March. As it has gotten hotter and I have learned to manage in the heat, i have even found myself having dread at the last few miles as opposed to adrenaline. Like - “I can’t believe I STILL HAVE two miles to go!” When you’ve been torturing yourself for a long time, any additional distance can feel like death, lol.

But YOU DID IT! GOOD JOB!

Yeah this too, lol. Hence the treadmill 🤪
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    07/01-07/24: 35.8
    07/25: 2.7

Garmin still down 😞😞😞 Have a good weekend everyone!

exercise.png
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    6 miles this morning. It's hot & humid and we haven't gotten a monsoon yet.

Around 59 miles for July.

@HonuNui Do you have a team for the dbacks race? I was looking at it yesterday since its virtual this year. Usually it's too crowded with walkers for me to venture downtown onna weekend. Lol
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    07/01 - 4.5 Miles
    07/03 - 8.0 Miles
    07/07 - 4.6 Miles
    07/09 - 4.5 Miles
    07/11 - 8.0 Miles
    07/14 - 5.0 miles
    07/16 - 5.0 miles
    07/18 - 6.2 miles
    07/21 - 5.0 miles
    07/22 - 5.0 miles
    07/25 - 9.1 miles

July Total: 65/75 miles
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile That is really good about getting maintenance meds prescribed like that. We type 1 diabetics always wondered why our endocrinologists want to see us so often too. We should just get a lifetime prescription for insulin, insulin delivery supplies, testing supplies, etc. My pancreas won't suddenly re-create islet cells and make insulin again.... at least not without my immune system putting up a fight about it and winning.

I have tons of hats, mostly that I have gotten from races. But I don't usually wear a hat because even white hats that wick well seem to make me hotter and hold sweat in. I know they say it is better to block sun on skin, but subjectively it feels like theyy hurt more than they help. But that is only when running. When just hiking or walking outside, I absolutely wear a hat. The sweat just comes faster than the hat material can release it to the air when running.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner @rheddmobile I agree that the hats seem so much hotter. I have a few thin brooks that are good and a nike thin golf hat that works better than the others. And a mesh Patagonia that is nearly like nothing. Good news though! Happy hat hunting!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner @rheddmobile I agree that the hats seem so much hotter. I have a few thin brooks that are good and a nike thin golf hat that works better than the others. And a mesh Patagonia that is nearly like nothing. Good news though! Happy hat hunting!

I think I’m going for a visor. My old hat was Under Armour and even though it was thin with vents it still made me hot. I wear my pony too high for most hats anyway.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @HonuNui - love the octopus! I have tried to see Neowise here too but it has either been cloudy from marine layer or too bright from all the lights.
    @Camaramandy648 - you don't have to go completely barefoot to get the benefits of barefoot running. Easing your way into 0 drop shoes from what ever your current shoes are would be a first step and then you can go to less cushioning and even to the barefoot sandals that @InkedAtty57 was mentioning. Those simply provide a layer of protection for your feet from whatever is on the ground. You do still feel the ground, rocks, etc. they just don't poke into your skin. There are tons of different brands that sell 0 drop and minimalist running 'shoes'. Vibram was one of the first and Altra is probably the best known right now although I think they have move away from their minimalist models and mostly have pretty cushioned 0 drop shoes. On the other end are little known but well liked brands such as Xero and Minimus. I like Topo Athletics as they fit me well and have both minimal (ST-2 and now ST-3) and cushioned models (Zephyr) depending on what I need for a particular day/run. Also Runners World had an article in June about minimalist shoes. Again as @PastorVincent mentioned you cannot go from one day running in 8, 12 or higher drop shoes and start running in 0 drop. You will hurt yourself (calves and/or achilles) because they are used to being shortened by the higher heel of your current running shoes.

@rheddmobile - I am so glad your tele-medicine visit went well and that you got something for the infection. I have had a couple and they were good too. It will be interesting though when it is time for my physical and to get a new thyroid prescription how they will handle that. My doctor too has always had me go for labs every 3-4 months and it has been almost a year now...
    Also - I found some inexpensive ($20) long sleeved UV shirts on Amazon that I have been running in since last summer (yes I do get incredibly sweaty). It took me a while to get used to it but you might try it or use a long sleeve race shirt to protect your arms and shoulders.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I wear a hat every time I run and have since I started because I burn so badly. Nothing hurts quite as bad as a hair part burn! I have found a few I really like that wick well. HeadSweats seem to be the best for me but I also have a couple of race promoted hats that are amazing (Ha! just looked and they are all from HeadSweats!). I do at times end up with sweat dripping/running off the brim but for the most part they work well and I am used to them now.